Prevalence of Hypothyroidism

J

j.

Ray Peat said:
Many researchers (before the late 1940's) found that about 40% of the people in the U.S. showed evidence of deficient thyroid function (low oxygen consumption and high serum cholesterol), and benefited from taking a thyroid supplement. Cancer, heart disease, and high susceptibility to infections were found to be extremely prevalent in populations with subnormal thyroid function.

Does anyone have a reference for the claim?

Edward

j. said:
Ray Peat said:
Many researchers (before the late 1940's) found that about 40% of the people in the U.S. showed evidence of deficient thyroid function (low oxygen consumption and high serum cholesterol), and benefited from taking a thyroid supplement. Cancer, heart disease, and high susceptibility to infections were found to be extremely prevalent in populations with subnormal thyroid function.

Does anyone have a reference for the claim?

"There are some indications, too, very much worth exploring, that our rising incidence of lung cancer and of the serious lung disease emphysema may be associated with the increase in hypothyroidism which now may be affecting as many as 40 percent of the population and in another decade may affect half the population."

That is from Broda Barnes Hypothyroidism book. It is not clear where he is getting the figure either, I would have to look through some of the citations from the chapter. But I have no reason to doubt the figure.

Barnes was aware of the connection of the thyroid to different pathological and psychological diseases and his treatment for hypothyroidism was thyroid. However, he was basically unaware of the dietary interventions and the difference between physiological hypothyroidism (diet induced, which can be corrected with a better diet) and pathological hypothyroidism. The only awareness he had of diet besides his chapter on obesity, basically recommending a low carbohydrate diet, was that protein metabolism requires more thyroid. That is true. To the point where for some people just reducing meat intake is enough to bring thyroid levels up.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tristan Loscha Prevalence And Psychopathology Of Vegetarians And Vegans – Results From A Survey In Germany Scientific Studies 2
Queequeg Prevalence Of Nutritional Deficiencies In Hair Loss Among Indian Participants Scientific Studies 6
dfspcc20 Cancer Prevalence Among Flight Attendants Compared To The General Population Scientific Studies 10
pimpnamedraypeat Parasite Prevalence Predicts Authoritarianism Scientific Studies 80
burtlancast Prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in patients with diabetes mellitus Scientific Studies 1
A Yet another "Is it hypothyroidism?" thread Metabolism 3
Hans Hypo-intellectism: is hypothyroidism the cause? Articles & Scientific Studies 26
Hirri Test results; hypothyroidism? Thyroid and Hormones 8
Mauritio GABA decreases flouride inuced hypothyroidism; more effective than thyroid hormone Thyroid and Hormones 24
Hirri Is it hypothyroidism? Thyroid and Hormones 18
R Do I have hypothyroidism? Thyroid and Hormones 28
F can you develop Hashimoto/or other autoimmune from having secondary hypothyroidism? Ask For Help or Advice 0
A Hypothyroidism Is Naturally Induced Chemo Therapy. Every Metabolic Stressor Is A Carcinogenic Miscellaneous Health Discussions 23
Galia Hypothyroidism Only By Blood Test Thyroid and Hormones 0
haidut Hypothyroidism Can Cause Anxiety, Panic Attacks And Other Mental Issues Scientific Studies 2
Amber Connection Between Liver Dysfunction & Hypothyroidism Thyroid and Hormones 41
C Kenneth Blanchard On Optimal Hypothyroidism Treatment Thyroid and Hormones 80
haidut Levothyroxine (T4) Monotherapy Often Ineffective For Hypothyroidism Scientific Studies 1
haidut Long Work Hours Linked To Hypothyroidism Scientific Studies 0
Galia Secondary Hypothyroidism Or Something Else ? Metabolism 0
I Do I Have Hypothyroidism? Thyroid and Hormones 1
M Taopatch For Hypothyroidism? Ask For Help or Advice 0
V Hypothyroidism With Normal Values? Metabolism 28
T Is It Possible To Heal Hypothyroidism Without Medicine? Thyroid and Hormones 35
haidut Lowering DHT Synthesis Causes Severe Hypothyroidism, Despite Higher T Levels Scientific Studies 21
S 1008 Test; 33.4 Free Test -- TRT, Hypoxia, Hypothyroidism & DHEA Blood Work, Labs 6
N Hypothyroidism, Adrenaline. I Really NEED HELP :( Ask For Help or Advice 38
B 30 Day Coconut Water Fast To Detox And Help Ulcers, Leaky Gut, Hypothyroidism,liver/kidney Function? Ask For Help or Advice 13
M Hypothyroidism In Relation To Digestion Digestion 19
G Red Light Or LLLT For Hypothyroidism Ask For Help or Advice 1
Vinny "Hypothyroidism Prevents The Liver From Attaching Glucuronic Acid To Estrogen, Ask For Help or Advice 16
L Why Does Eating Too Much Liver Cause Hypothyroidism? Organ Meat 8
DaveFoster T3 Dose For Hypothyroidism Matches Dr. Peat's Recommendations Scientific Studies 9
K My Oral Temperature At Doctor Was 97.4, Is That Hypothyroidism? Ask For Help or Advice 32
N Cant Relax With Hypothyroidism Ask For Help or Advice 13
G Anemia And Hypothyroidism Blood Work, Labs 1
Arrade Arrade's Journey To Fixing HypoThyroidism Thyroid and Hormones 27
raysputin Post Surgical Hypothyroidism Ask For Help or Advice 1
B Desperate In Need Of Help, Hypothyroidism, What To Do? Blood Work, Labs 34
S Light Treatment Of Hypothyroidism - Is It Possible With LEDs? Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 0
S Pulsed Light Treatment Of Hypothyroidism – Part I Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 0
S Laser Treatment Of Hypothyroidism – Part II Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 2
G Myopia And Hypothyroidism Articles & Scientific Studies 0
S Light And Hypothyroidism – Cure Or Cause? (That Depends) Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 8
goodandevil Hypothyroidism Survey Polls 4
Let Go Incidence Of Hypothyroidism In Meniere’s Disease Thyroid and Hormones 0
E Hypothyroidism - Red Light Man Device Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 14
nikolabeacon Hyper/Hypothyroidism And Taste Miscellaneous Health Discussions 4
Xisca Throat Pain In Hypothyroidism? Thyroid and Hormones 14
Drareg Neonatal Hypothyroidism Due To Mothers VEGAN Diet Scientific Studies 60