Preparing Carrot Salad In Advance?

DharmaBunny

Do you? Should you? I was thinking night before, or while prepping breakfast? Real ballache to grate a carrot mid morning here.

HDD

I wouldn't think it would make a difference because it is the fiber not the nutrients that we want.

Just a guess.

Peata

I've grated carrots ahead of time and kept in the fridge. When I want the salad, I scoop out some carrot, add vinegar, oil, salt.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
nwo2012 makes his ahead of time. He also noticed that the carrot became less orange as it set in the fridge, possibly causing it to have less beta carotene which I would think is a bonus.

Mittir

I think bland tasting carrots are not that effective as antibiotic.
But adding coconut oil and vinegar can compensate for that.
If i make the salad ahead of time,i try not to wait more than 10-12 hours.
I used to eat once a day. I am seeing a better result by splitting the salad
into two serving. Once 2 hours before lunch and once 2 hours after lunch.
RP also recommended not to chew too much, you want the fiber to travel
far into the intestine, carrying oil and vinegar. You can figure out the
right method with some experimentation.

loess

I do 4-5 days worth of carrots all at once and squeeze out as much carotene as I can under running water. Batch usually lasts a week because I don't do the carrot every day.

Does anybody else feel like the carrot salad it sits in their stomach for 3-4 hours (sometimes more)? It's frustrating because with the carrot sitting there all day I don't feel like I can eat other meals without the nutrient absorption of those foods being compromised. Cascara seems to help move the fibers out of my colon and into ye olde toilet bowl, but doesn't seem to do anything as far as getting them from the stomach into the intestinal tract.

J

j.

true blue said:
Why would you squeeze out the carotene?

Carotene, when it isn't converted to vitamin A, is anti-thyroid. The amount of carotene converted to vitamin A is highly variable from one person to another. I don't wash the carotene, and still feel better, so it probably isn't enough to affect me negatively.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
Carotene, when it isn't converted to vitamin A, is anti-thyroid. The amount of carotene converted to vitamin A is highly variable from one person to another. I don't wash the carotene, and still feel better, so it probably isn't enough to affect me negatively.
You can watch your calluses to see if you are getting too much carotene.

4peatssake

true blue said:
Charlie said:

:shock: ???
Carotenemia & Hypothyroidism

Carotenemia is characterized by an abnormal yellowish orange pigmentation of the skin, most prominently seen on the palms and soles. Although it is associated with several disease such as diabetes, hypothyroidism and anorexia nervosa, it is caused by excessive intake of carotene-rich food such as oranges and carrots in most cases.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
true blue said:
Charlie said:

Your calluses will start turning orange if your body is storing the carotene because it cannot convert it. Calluses are a good place to see this. And when carotene stores, it acts like a PUFA.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
true blue said:
Charlie said:

I'm getting too much by looking at my palms and soles of my feet. Since I only have about 2 medium carrots per day I am wondering if I should eat just one? I eat liver once a week and use 5,000 IU vitamin a in haiduts formula each day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! The palms are subtle but the soles more orange- not sure why?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Are you rinsing your carrot out with water really good? I also try to give it a good squeeze.

Mittir

Blossom said:
I'm getting too much by looking at my palms and soles of my feet. Since I only have about 2 medium carrots per day I am wondering if I should eat just one? I eat liver once a week and use 5,000 IU vitamin a in haiduts formula each day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! The palms are subtle but the soles more orange- not sure why?

You can try cooked bamboo shoots instead of carrot. I got better results from bamboo shoots,
but it causes mild stomach upsets after 2-3 days of use.
I only tried few times with canned bamboo shoots.
It is possible that body takes weeks to get adjusted to new type of food.
It could be a problem of particular canned variety. Next time i will try with
boiling raw shoots. Boiling bamboo shoots for long time is necessary to remove
toxic substances. There are lot of online information on how to boil shoots.
RP mentioned that vitamin b12 is used to treat carotenemia
by converting beta carotene to retinol.
You can also use light therapy to increase body's need for vitamin A.
This will use up extra vitamin A you are ingesting.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Mittir said:
Blossom said:

You can try cooked bamboo shoots instead of carrot. I got better results from bamboo shoots,
but it causes mild stomach upsets after 2-3 days of use.
I only tried few times with canned bamboo shoots.
It is possible that body takes weeks to get adjusted to new type of food.
It could be a problem of particular canned variety. Next time i will try with
boiling raw shoots. Boiling bamboo shoots for long time is necessary to remove
toxic substances. There are lot of online information on how to boil shoots.
RP mentioned that vitamin b12 is used to treat carotenemia
by converting beta carotene to retinol.
You can also use light therapy to increase body's need for vitamin A.
This will use up extra vitamin A you are ingesting.
Thanks Mittir for your informative reply. I think I will try the bamboo shoots over the weekend. I've had them from the can a couple of times but they always contain citric acid which I try to avoid. I've been using the brooding lights but maybe with spring coming things will work out for the better. I guess all in all things are going well for this time of year. I forgot about the eggs in my diet being another source of a. I will try the bamboo shoots definitely! Thanks again

Mittir

@Blossom
Milk fat has a lot of vitamin A. I believe RP recommends brooding lamp for heat and
red light for winter. A regular incandescent will give you similar amount of red and orange
light without too much heat. RP recommends couple of hundred of watt for good effects.
I was using 500 watt of incandescent and it increased my vitamin A requirement.
Now i mostly used 250-350 if i do not eat a lot of liver.
You also need to expose skin to light for it to work.
RP mentioned that skin is probably the largest endocrine organ.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks Mittir, I am using 2 250 watt brooding lamps currently but with spring coming I will try to find some incadesent. I use full fat milk because I do better without the added vitamins so that is another source of A that I hadn't thought about. I greatly appreciate your insight. :D