Pregnenolone

Birdie

Ray-Z said:
gretchen said:
Falling asleep has really been hard for me lately. Does anyone have a link for what brand you use?

Gretchen: Obviously, YMMV, but while pregnenolone has helped me, it doesn't do much for my sleep, and may even worsen sleep if I take it at bedtime. The sleep threads in this forum have some suggestions for improving sleep. :2cents

Pregnenolone made me sleepy when I took it in the morning. But I've heard others say it kept them awake if they took it at night.

Mr Birdie and I both take ours at bedtime and think it helps us sleep.

chris

jaa said:
nwo2012 said:
jaa said:
Damn BAC won't ship Pregnenolone to Canada. Gonna go with the Life Extension capsules on iHerb - http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Pre ... ules/12149

Are you sure? They say it about all countiies outside USA. But then you order it and they send it.
Even here to Australia (arguably the strictest customs in the world). No issues so far.

Oh sweet, I just assumed they didn't ship it because of the note on their website. Thanks for the info nwo.

I had pregnenolone shipped to UK as well, despite BAC's note on their site, no issues.

Lucy

I tried to have it shipped to Belgium but BAC cancelled my order :(

Apart from that, pregnenolone works really well for stress/depression/anxiety/insomnia issues for myself and a few people around me. For myself, the effect on wellbeing and stress tolerance is just about amazing (I'm hypothyroid with high cholesterol, not being able to get back on thyroid replacement), and a friend got out of a long-lasting debilitating depression and anxiety with it when not much else helped (I think only SSRIs). No negative issues so far with Life Extension and BAC brands.

HollyLooyah

May I ask how some of you are taking the pregnenolnone powder? Are you mixing it with something?

chris

Holly - I just put it on my tongue then drink it down with something sugary.

honeybee

longtime lurker. I am about 50% Peaty-using coco oil, supps vit a, b1, eggshell calcium, mag, vit d. Consuming a lot more dairy cheeses and milk and fruits. Avoiding pufas. Over the past 1.5 weeks I tried pregnenolone in the am woth sugar and coffee increasing on successive days 10 mg, then 20 mg, then 30 mg didn't feel much. So I Increased to 50 mg and wow did I have an emotional angry meltdown. My poor husband. So I dosed 50 mg again next day just to be sure and same thing. Angry, hopeless feelings. I am under a lot of stress with work btw. So I didn't take any yesterday until the eve, then took 20 mg right before a party and felt a sort ofemotional flatness with social distance all night. Didn't take anything today, awake with same flatness but worked my way out of it during a dance class now I feel normal. It was a very strange experience the anger and then feeling disconnected. I am 45 so am sure I am low in pregnenolone. Any ideas? Or anyone have similar experience?

honeybee

Oh I did have some positive effects- the facelift effect is tighter skin, and one of those days where I took 30/40 mgs I had quite a lot of wine. I normally would have ill effects the next day but I did not- this was unexpected bonus. There is some info on the web about this supplement nullifying alcohol effects.

chris

honeybee said:
Oh I did have some positive effects- the facelift effect is tighter skin, and one of those days where I took 30/40 mgs I had quite a lot of wine. I normally would have ill effects the next day but I did not- this was unexpected bonus. There is some info on the web about this supplement nullifying alcohol effects.

I got wasted the other night but drank a lot of oj and had almost no hangover, interesting.

inatic

kettlebell said:
When I am stressed I take a big dose of 500mg with sugar and it has a positive effect on me. I try to do about 100mg a day normally which can vary due to requirements. Its a great supplement.

Also I feel it would likely work well for thinning hair. Over on FB the Ray Peat fans group has discussed extensively the reasons for thinning hair and has come to a conclusion (Sort of) that a reduction in progesterone has a large part to play in hair loss, so a man dosing with pregnenolone can short cut and instantly give the body what it needs to produce enough progesterone which theoretically should help.

Using pregnenolone should ensure you don't overdose progesterone but should give your body what it needs to produce the required amounts.

Its great stuff!
i need to keep searching because i havent found such topic. i recently searched for hair loss issues regarding myself.

Isadora

I tried it too, 30 mg last night. I felt excellent afterwards, it was a bit like Valium in the way it relaxed me. Strangely, it made me remember a bunch of things that happened to me in high school -- nothing relevant or too interesting, just vivid memories of me at that age, walking to school, thinking of things, the way I used to, in that mind frame... Things that have nothing to do with the present and my preoccupations, like the play I was directing and articles about theatrical events that I had read and had found inspiring, bizarre tidbits and contexts from that time in my life. Also, settings and textures and lights with the respective feelings... Then I fell asleep and slept soundly through the night, I couldn't remember any dreams. Wow! I want to experience that again! :)

J

j.

Ray Peat said:
Pregnenolone, taken orally, does nothing noticeable to a healthy animal or person, but if the stress-related hormones are elevated, they return to normal when pregnenolone is taken. The brain contains much more pregnenolone, DHEA, and progesterone than do other organs or the blood, and these levels decrease progressively with age. Older people are more likely to feel an effect from pregnenolone, than are young people. A tenth of a gram is a reasonable first dose, though some people seem to need as much as I gram per day.

Source: Steroids, from Generative Energy: Restoring the Wholeness of Life

Isadora

I tried it again, but it wasn't as impressive as the first time. I am starting to think that the body doesn't react twice the same way to these precursor hormones -- both pregnenolone and progesterone. I believe the path they take is totally dependent on one's momentary state. And, for women especially, the hormonal background can be so different from one day to the next, until post-menopause! So I don't know... I'll keep the pregnenolone, but not on a daily basis, because I fear adverse reactions in the long run -- it will be my occasional treat. :chill

jaa

Isadora,

That's very interesting! Did you notice any effects on your temperature or pulse?

Isadora

Sorry, jaa, I didn't think to check. The pulse I am rather sensitive to when it goes up, so I tend to think there was either no difference, or it went down. I'll check it next time and let you know...

BingDing

Interesting reports, Isadora. There's no question but each individual has lots of different factors that affect their response.

I didn't get any dramatic effects like skin tightening with pregnenolone, but over the past few months it seems like a slow but steady repletion in tissue levels and a slow but steady normalization of stress hormones and improvement in attitude, etc. Shoot, it's been weeks since I honked at a slow poke driver, LOL. I use 40mg twice a day, except when I forget.

I think that pattern is similar to magnesium and D3, for example. It just takes time for the body to normalize. :2cents

Amosya

Hi everyone, I think Pregenenolone is causing me trouble. I started about two months ago with 50 mg. in the morning hoping to feel increased energy, facelifting, balancing the estrogen, etc... Well, I haven't noticed much at all of what I've mentioned, but I noticed over the last two weeks more or less, like acne pimples around my chin, the rest of the skin in my face is turning very dry, and for me the worst... looking in the mirror today with direct sunlight the stuborn dark hairs I get growing around my chin area -about seven of them.... have multiplied!!!!! I can hardly count them now there are so many appearing under my chin area and along the jaw line!!!
I can only think it is the Pregnenolone that is causing this. Looked up information specifically about facial hair growing on females who take it and aparently it is one of the posible side effects. Wondering why??? What is happening to the Pregnenolone in my body?? I just thought it would convert into Progesterone and balance the Estrogens. I can't find any correlation of drier skin with it, but can find the pimples appearing posibly related too.
Today has been the last day I've taken it after seeing the facial hair that has appeared over the last month. Anyone know if this facial hair growing will reverse??? And stop growing again??? Or have I maybe screwed my hormonal balance instead of helping it out. Can't find information about that.
Thanks.

J

j.

Amosya, do you eat beef liver once a week? I'm wondering about your vit A status.

Amosya

Hi j. Thanks for responding,
I happen to have started eating liver once a week about five months ago - I dislike it but eat it after reading a book about cysts and diet to deal with them.
Could extra vit. A prevent the excess facial hair? Trying to figure out what the Pregnenolone has converted to to cause this effect.
I do suplement also with vit E- in the evening, and when I remember with some Aspirin in the morning.

J

j.

Amosya, I actually have no idea how to figure out the appropriate level of vitamin A for a person. I think most people who eat liver regularly, like you, have it covered.