Pregnenolone

gretchen

Falling asleep has really been hard for me lately. Does anyone have a link for what brand you use?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

BingDing

kettlebell said:
Hi BingDing,

I am under a lot of pressure at the moment so right now am doing 100mg twice a day and no negative effects. When I am less under pressure I forget to take it so it becomes a natural cycle.

One dose of approximately 300 mg (the size of an aspirin tablet) keeps acting for about a week, as absorption continues along the intestine, and as it is "recycled" in the body. Part of this long lasting effect is because it improves the body's ability to produce its own pregnenolone. - Ray Peat

I don't think cycling it is necessary as long as you take a dosage that works for you. 40mg twice a day seems to me like a good measure. When I train I take a bigger dose straight before and afterwards too.

As always I would listen to your body - If you are thriving on it keep going, if you start seeing negative effects you could attribute to the Pregnenolone take a break for a few days.

KB

Makes a lot sense, thanks KB.

Ray-Z

gretchen said:
Falling asleep has really been hard for me lately. Does anyone have a link for what brand you use?

Gretchen: Obviously, YMMV, but while pregnenolone has helped me, it doesn't do much for my sleep, and may even worsen sleep if I take it at bedtime. The sleep threads in this forum have some suggestions for improving sleep. :2cents

jyb

gretchen said:

Just random advice from someone with insomnia: try a fair amount of gelatin during the day including at bedtime. RP talks about glycine and sleep in his articles.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have taken a small dose of pregnenolone the last couple of days and I can tell there is an immediate increase of metabolism from it due to my heart beating harder. This stuff works, and fast.

jyb

Charlie said:
I have taken a small dose of pregnenolone the last couple of days and I can tell there is an immediate increase of metabolism from it due to my heart beating harder. This stuff works, and fast.

I'm still experimenting but seems like I get that if I take a high enough dose (100+ mg). As side effects I've had loads of acne on the back and shoulders (not my usual acne) and doesn't help insomnia if I take it near bedtime. The acne from preg seems like a common side effect, and mine went away when I stopped taking preg.

For someone with insomnia, I wonder if there is a benefit in taking pregnelonone, vit D and other things early in the morning instead of later in the day, as the latter might shift your sleeping cycle in the wrong direction. Just a hypothesis.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Both vitamin D and pregnenolone should both be taken in the morning IIRC. Vitamin D will mess with circadium(sp?) rhythm, and pregnenolone boosts the metabolism giving you energy so it could possibly interfere with sleep.

J

j.

jyb said:
The acne from preg seems like a common side effect, and mine went away when I stopped taking preg.

I wonder if the acne is from increased metabolism and vit A requirements which would be fixed by upping the vit A either through food or supplements.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
jyb said:
The acne from preg seems like a common side effect, and mine went away when I stopped taking preg.

I wonder if the acne is from increased metabolism and vit A requirements which would be fixed by upping the vit A either through food or supplements.

Yep, I was gonna mention that but totally forgot.

Birdie

Charlie said:
j. said:
jyb said:

Yep, I was gonna mention that but totally forgot.

Charlie-
A second yep. I've seen upping the vit A as a remedy in many Peaty places. The pregnenolone is an important tool. You just have to work with the dose. Everybody's different (and the same)!

Mr Birdie is using about 100mg pregnenolone at bedtime and 25,000 IU Carlson's Vitamin A at breakie. I, on the other hand, take the same amount of pregnenolone but need 50,000 of vit A. We adjusted our doses of both supplements maybe 10 months ago.

I had developed acne on my back about 6 months before starting with Peat's info. It disappeared after I adjusted the vit A, and perhaps other things that don't come to mind. It did take time and that was frustrating.

Hope things get brighter soon! (Clearer?)

Birdie

I guess that was jyb with the acne. So, it might be worth another try with the pregnenolone. So many benefits there. But I don't know your age. If you are very young, you many not need it like the oldies or sickies here.

Good luck to you whatever you choose. :) Birdie

jyb

Birdie said:
I guess that was jyb with the acne. So, it might be worth another try with the pregnenolone. So many benefits there. But I don't know your age. If you are very young, you many not need it like the oldies or sickies here.

Thanks. I don't mind upping to 50,000 IU vit A a day but I'm hypothyroid and I know excess retinol is anti-thyroid so I'm cautious about it.

Birdie

jyb said:
Birdie said:

Thanks. I don't mind upping to 50,000 IU vit A a day but I'm hypothyroid and I know excess retinol is anti-thyroid so I'm cautious about it.
I'm hypothyroid too. Wish I could remember exactly where I found this larger amount of vit A recommended. I think it was Ray and he is very sensitive to looking out for the thyroid.

The excess retinol being anti-thyroid isn't ringing a bell.

If I do run into any more info, I'll post it here.

Hope you're doing well!

J

j.

Vitamin A fixed my dandruff even when I was hypothyroid. I think it's possible to be hypothyroid and needed extra vitamin A at least in some circumstances.

Birdie

Just thinking about the vitamin A and hypothyroid... Hypothyroid people tend to have trouble converting beta carotene. You can test for this by looking at your callouses to see if they are orange.

I have this tendency so I avoid carotene. For example, I really rinse my carrot salad until the water is clear. That's what Ray has said to do.

Maybe someday I'll be healthy enough to convert carotene!!

Here is a photo and some studies:

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/1 ... hyroidism/

jaa

nwo2012 said:
jaa said:
Damn BAC won't ship Pregnenolone to Canada. Gonna go with the Life Extension capsules on iHerb - http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Pre ... ules/12149

Are you sure? They say it about all countiies outside USA. But then you order it and they send it.
Even here to Australia (arguably the strictest customs in the world). No issues so far.

Oh sweet, I just assumed they didn't ship it because of the note on their website. Thanks for the info nwo.