Pregnenolone

nwo2012

Combie said:
So im not losing it then!

Another thing ive noticed is is this; before i started really religiously supplementing, i could go ages and ages without eating if i wanted to. Now, my body is screaming at me - eat! eat! eat! In the same way it does after you lift heavy. Its caused me to stray from Peat approved foods though, so im really working on being more prepared. And my body is also letting me know in no uncertain terms when ive put something in there it doesnt like. I am not tempted to eat crap at all though. My dinner is in the oven and im ravenous. I just found a Blue Riband bar that my nephew left here last weekend. In days gone by i would have inhaled that. I just screwed it up and put it in the bin.

Yes exactly. I will easily go hypo if I dont eat every 2 hours. And even then I usually need some sugar in between meals.
BEfore I was a bodybuilder and did eat often but wouldnt get this feeling unless it had been a few hours since I ate. I think Peat eating/living increases our insulin sensitivity in addition to the metabolism. In the years after stopping bodybuilding (with the 'extreme' supplements) I lost a lot of muscle and fullness and dropped from 115kg to about 88kg. After 3 months of Peating, and including pregnenolone and thyroid, I was back at 100kg with pretty similar bodyfat %.
Its incredible!

And the food thing. A week ago we went to a wedding. I ate a lot of bad food and maybe had two alcoholic drinks. The next day I felt like total crap! Probably a surge of PUFAs, although I did take a lot of vitamin E, niacinamide and aspirin before and after the event so I minimised the side-effects.

Combie

Its really kick started weight loss too, ive dropped from 185 to 168 in just over a month, but doesnt seem to be muscle lost, on contrary id swear ive put some on. Havent been near a weight in ages, have done about 10 pullups in that time.

chris

Combie - How do you take pregnenolone? With a meal/thyroid/coffee etc? Thanks.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I take mine around coffee time too.

Combie

chris said:
Combie - How do you take pregnenolone? With a meal/thyroid/coffee etc? Thanks.
First thing in morn and evening meal time. I stopped taking it evening because I haven't been sleeping the best.. But I'm not sure it's the preg doing this. Tbh I'm just focussing on getting these things in me. Rather than fixating too much on when. I've had these supps for ages and have had major probs taking them consistently because I'd focused on when/ where and writing down regimes etc

chris

Thanks all for the replies. Do any of you take coffee, preg and T3 all at the same time?

Birdie

I'll reply since my experience is different. When I took pregnenolone in the morning it made me sleepy. Now I take it at bedtime to help me sleep. Progesterone with it. And usually Cascara a few minutes later.

chris

Interesting, I am planning on taking my first preg dose tomorrow, looking forward to seeing how this could benefit me. I'm just trying to work my head around when to take T3, coffee etc

kiran

I must be one of the rare people who can't tolerate pregnenolone anymore. I tried some today, and got a cloudy head and pain in my testicles. It's possibly turning into estrogen.

chris

I've not started preg yet but I would try 1 tbsp sugar and see if your symptoms improve, adjust accordingly I suppose. :)

chris

Took my first 50mg dose of preg with coffee, milk, oj and lots of sugar over an hour ago. I think this is maybe another thing I don't react to, although I am young so the effects would possibly be less. May have noticed a positive mental difference, will need to experiment with it.

kettlebell

When I am stressed I take a big dose of 500mg with sugar and it has a positive effect on me. I try to do about 100mg a day normally which can vary due to requirements. Its a great supplement.

Also I feel it would likely work well for thinning hair. Over on FB the Ray Peat fans group has discussed extensively the reasons for thinning hair and has come to a conclusion (Sort of) that a reduction in progesterone has a large part to play in hair loss, so a man dosing with pregnenolone can short cut and instantly give the body what it needs to produce enough progesterone which theoretically should help.

Using pregnenolone should ensure you don't overdose progesterone but should give your body what it needs to produce the required amounts.

Its great stuff!

gretchen

Charlie said:
I am 36 and stupidly stressed out even though I know I shouldnt be so stressed out. lol Should I take this at night?

Thyroid is my next step. I will make a thread about that soon.

36, huh. I'm 42. I'm a woman, of course, so a lot of my stress is related to my declining menstrual cycle. But wow, it really is amazing how much more stressful everything is after 35, I think for both sexes.

chris

No reaction to preg even up to 250mg a day. I will probably just take 50mg a day.

BingDing

kettlebell said:
When I am stressed I take a big dose of 500mg with sugar and it has a positive effect on me. I try to do about 100mg a day normally which can vary due to requirements. Its a great supplement.

Also I feel it would likely work well for thinning hair. Over on FB the Ray Peat fans group has discussed extensively the reasons for thinning hair and has come to a conclusion (Sort of) that a reduction in progesterone has a large part to play in hair loss, so a man dosing with pregnenolone can short cut and instantly give the body what it needs to produce enough progesterone which theoretically should help.

Using pregnenolone should ensure you don't overdose progesterone but should give your body what it needs to produce the required amounts.

Its great stuff!

Do you cycle using it, kettlebell? I've been using 40mg twice a day for three weeks and been pretty happy with it, but wondering if I should quit for a week or two. I'm 56 so it's no surprise I can feel the effect.

kettlebell

Hi BingDing,

I am under a lot of pressure at the moment so right now am doing 100mg twice a day and no negative effects. When I am less under pressure I forget to take it so it becomes a natural cycle.

One dose of approximately 300 mg (the size of an aspirin tablet) keeps acting for about a week, as absorption continues along the intestine, and as it is "recycled" in the body. Part of this long lasting effect is because it improves the body's ability to produce its own pregnenolone. - Ray Peat

I don't think cycling it is necessary as long as you take a dosage that works for you. 40mg twice a day seems to me like a good measure. When I train I take a bigger dose straight before and afterwards too.

As always I would listen to your body - If you are thriving on it keep going, if you start seeing negative effects you could attribute to the Pregnenolone take a break for a few days.

KB