Pregnenolone Supplementation On Schizo's: Absence Of Conversion To Other Steroids

vulture

Proof-of-Concept Trial with the Neurosteroid Pregnenolone Targeting Cognitive and Negative... - Europe PMC Article - Europe PMC

Proof-of-Concept Trial with the Neurosteroid Pregnenolone Targeting Cognitive and Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia

Take a look at table 6. Mostly increased allopregnanolone, pregnenolone sulfate, progesterone and estrogen*

* Strangely, although table shows a dramatic and surreal increase in estradiol, statements below says the opposite, maybe a typo?

"
Absence of conversion to other steroids
Pregnenolone administration for 8 weeks to patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder did not result in downstream elevations of cortisol, testosterone, free testosterone, DHEA, androstenedione, or estradiol (Table 6). As pregnenolone is a potential precursor to a number of steroids, pregnenolone could theoretically be metabolized to all of these molecules. Our data suggest, however, that pregnenolone metabolism is weighted toward biosynthetic pathways resulting in pregnenolone sulfate and allopregnanolone formation, rather than toward glucocorticoid or sex steroid synthesis involving testosterone or estradiol.​
"

DavidGardner

Take a look at table 6. Mostly increased allopregnanolone, pregnenolone sulfate, progesterone and estrogen*

* Strangely, although table shows a dramatic and surreal increase in estradiol, statements below says the opposite, maybe a typo?

They must have left out the decimal. Otherwise you're looking at a one hundred-fold increase, where they're saying no increase.

Thank you for posting this. I have a family member with schizophrenia. This looks very promising.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Proof-of-Concept Trial with the Neurosteroid Pregnenolone Targeting Cognitive and Negative... - Europe PMC Article - Europe PMC

Proof-of-Concept Trial with the Neurosteroid Pregnenolone Targeting Cognitive and Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia

"
Absence of conversion to other steroids
Pregnenolone administration for 8 weeks to patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder did not result in downstream elevations of cortisol, testosterone, free testosterone, DHEA, androstenedione, or estradiol (Table 6). As pregnenolone is a potential precursor to a number of steroids, pregnenolone could theoretically be metabolized to all of these molecules. Our data suggest, however, that pregnenolone metabolism is weighted toward biosynthetic pathways resulting in pregnenolone sulfate and allopregnanolone formation, rather than toward glucocorticoid or sex steroid synthesis involving testosterone or estradiol.​
"

Thanks, I think this has been posted in other threads already. I emailed the authors of the study several years ago and the estradiol number is indeed a typo. There was supposed to be a comma after the 25 or 24 (I forget what the first 2 digits reported were). Maybe you can merge this thread with the other one. Strangely, I can't find the older thread and I am pretty sure it was posted somewhere here back in 2015/2016 timeframe because we noticed the same issue with the estradiol figure and everybody freaked out. Hey @charlie - any ideas what happened to that older post?

Dhair

Thanks, I think this has been posted in other threads already. I emailed the authors of the study several years ago and the estradiol number is indeed a typo. There was supposed to be a comma after the 25 or 24 (I forget what the first 2 digits reported were). Maybe you can merge this thread with the other one. Strangely, I can't find the older thread and I am pretty sure it was posted somewhere here back in 2015/2016 timeframe because we noticed the same issue with the estradiol figure and everybody freaked out. Hey @charlie - any ideas what happened to that older post?
How is it that the pregnenolone lowered cholesterol in this study, but it wasn't converted into testosterone/DHEA? What am I missing here?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hey @charlie - any ideas what happened to that older post?
It has to be here somewhere if it was posted. However I am not finding it on a search. Did it have it's own thread?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This one?
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...-effective-for-schizophrenia.3225/#post-38120

Kartoffel

Thanks for the clarification. This seems to support Peat's statement that even large amounts of pregnenolone won't resulte in a cascade where the steroid hormones further down the stream are brought out of balance. So, the for progesterone value is accurate? No increae in estrogen combined with a significant increase in allopregnanolone, progesterone, and a slight increase in DHEAS seems like a good deal.

OP
vulture

vulture

You could merge it if info posted is the same. I can't see that option
Indeed seems a missing comma.
@Kartoffel seems an interesting way to indirectly increase progesterone, but with those dosages (100mg/day to 500mg/day) progesterone raised maybe too much. I guess best way to asses effects are labs before-after.

Kartoffel

You could merge it if info posted is the same. I can't see that option
Indeed seems a missing comma.
@Kartoffel seems an interesting way to indirectly increase progesterone, but with those dosages (100mg/day to 500mg/day) progesterone raised maybe too much. I guess best way to asses effects are labs before-after.

Well, if Peat is right, then pregnenolone will only be converted into progesterone in case it's needed. So, theoretically, it shouldn't get converted, if you already have enough proegsterone. Since progesterone is highly protective for the brain I guess it makes sense that giving pregnenolone to schizophrenics would cause their progesterone to go up. Also, since progesterone doesn't seem to have any negative side effects for males, except decreased libido when there is too much so that it antagonizes testosterone, you could simply judge by your libido level. In this study there was no decline of testosterone that would indicate that.

haidut

Forum Supporter

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

haidut

Forum Supporter
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals