Pregnenolone supplementation causing hairloss

Mr.Tayto

Ive noticed some hairloss and some change in skull shape over the last few months and can only contribute it to pregnenolone that i have been taking. 50mg about once per week by the company Eurovital. Does anyone know the mechanism/pathways which caused this a how to reverse it?

GreekDemiGod

Are you taking it alone?
About a year ago, when I first started using Pansterone, I too noticed clear shedding at the beginning. Kept using it on and off, with shorter or longer breaks.
Lately resumed using it, and I don't think I experience that anymore. The difference this time is I'm taking T3 too.

OP
M

Mr.Tayto

@GreekDemiGod Ya just on its own.

I used to take pregnenolone before with no problems but this has caused problems.
Mad depression, anxiety too. When i took it in the past i got no problems, but id also take it with DHEA back then also.

I just came across a post about pregnenolone a few mins ago and it said pregnenolone raises parathyroid hormone which increases calcium in the blood which also causes depression and a host of other issues. I feel i raised my estrogen while i was on it also...weird. i never considered it the source of the problem because it was all good years agowhen i took it. Odd that it caused the hair loss etc i never considered it the culprit

L_C

@GreekDemiGod Ya just on its own.

I used to take pregnenolone before with no problems but this has caused problems.
Mad depression, anxiety too. When i took it in the past i got no problems, but id also take it with DHEA back then also.

I just came across a post about pregnenolone a few mins ago and it said pregnenolone raises parathyroid hormone which increases calcium in the blood which also causes depression and a host of other issues. I feel i raised my estrogen while i was on it also...weird. i never considered it the source of the problem because it was all good years agowhen i took it. Odd that it caused the hair loss etc i never considered it the culprit

What brand of pregnenolone are you taking? I have had completely different experience with it. It has calming effect on me, no hair loss (luckily). I take the one from health natura.

OP
M

Mr.Tayto

What brand of pregnenolone are you taking? I have had completely different experience with it. It has calming effect on me, no hair loss (luckily). I take the one from health natura.
The brand is Eurovital purchased from the site Biovea. Previously i would get a calming feeling and my face would be fresher looking but those effect happened with a different brand.

L_C

The brand is Eurovital purchased from the site Biovea. Previously i would get a calming feeling and my face would be fresher looking but those effect happened with a different brand.
Personally, I don't trust supplements that have magnesium stearate listed as other ingredients or rice flour. Perhaps, you have a reaction to these excipients. I would also reach out to the company and asked them if the product is bioidentical. Just my 2c.

OP
M

Mr.Tayto

Personally, I don't trust supplements that have magnesium stearate listed as other ingredients or rice flour. Perhaps, you have a reaction to these excipients. I would also reach out to the company and asked them if the product is bioidentical. Just my 2c.
I wouldn't think rice flour and magnesium stearate would cause the symptoms i had/have But i think your right about questioning them on whether the product is bioidentical or not... whether they will tell the truth or not is another thing.

Birdie

flaviom said:
FWIW I mailed Ray about the issues I was having with pregnenolone, namely sadness, irritability, major hair loss, insomnia, weight gain and here's his reply:

Ray Peat said:
Excipients or impurities in capsules can cause symptoms, by irritating the intestine. In animal studies (and in myself), extremely large doses didn't have any more effects than minimal doses. It's possible to eliminate some of the impurities by mixing it with warm vitamin E, and after stirring it, allowing it to settle, and using only what dissolved in the vitamin E.

Dr. B

Ive noticed some hairloss and some change in skull shape over the last few months and can only contribute it to pregnenolone that i have been taking. 50mg about once per week by the company Eurovital. Does anyone know the mechanism/pathways which caused this a how to reverse it?

@Birdie Ray also said pregnenolone he used after 60s or 70s had odd effecs that shouldnt be pregnenolone...
ive tried even the most expensive brands like pure encapsulations, and one other brand and they all have a similar effect i think the problem is the way its made or simply just that it converts to cortisol or aldosterone perhaps in people with slower metabolisms whereas with a faster one it maybe stays as allopregnenolone, some progesterone and androgens. it may just amplify your current condition possibly.
I did get hair loss when I used it and its just strange. I had a perfect hairline and hair before, even while using creatine many years. i doubt the pregnenolone boosted androgens. actually gained some weight on it and it messed with the testis
@Lokzo @Birdie

Jerkboy

Stop taking supps Mr. Tayto. Start eating red meat for a while. AFAIK pregnenolone lowers iron.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals