Pregnenolone & Progesterone together?

mas

Hi readforjoy,

I looked online for Prometrium info and I found some prices for the pills- 100 mg (90 pills) $130! Wow that is expensive- could you say how much you paid for yours?

Does this need a prescription from an MD?

Thanks,
Megin

Kray

readforjoy said:
As far as Prometrium's safety, it is USP bio-identical progesterone. The inactive ingredients for PROMETRIUM Capsules 100 mg include: peanut oil NF, gelatin NF, glycerin USP, lecithin NF, titanium dioxide USP, D&C Yellow No. 10, and FD&C Red No. 40.

I get mine made at a compounding pharmacy and they are pure white so I don't think they have any dyes. The label on them is progesterone not Prometrium, though that's what my doc called them. I don't know if mine have peanut oil in them. I guess I'll ask next time, but it's worth it to me even if it does have peanut oil.

Not to question your decision, but did your doc give you any cautions about taking the oral form insofar as liver is concerned? That was my concern some years ago when my doctor gave me an Rx for Prometrium. I took it for a bit but stopped because of that. I do remember her saying that only about 20% of the 100mg dose is absorbed. I don't recall asking her this, but I wonder now if the 20% yield (20mg) is worth the burden on the liver. I think there will always be a debate over whether the oral vs transdermal is the best delivery, for various reasons, this being one of them. I wonder what Peat has to say about this, since he has virtually written the book on progesterone, imo. :2cents

OP
R

readforjoy

[highlight=#ffff80]I looked online for Prometrium info and I found some prices for the pills- 100 mg (90 pills) $130! Wow that is expensive- could you say how much you paid for yours?[/highlight]

I paid $49 for 60 capsules. Much cheaper for me than transdermal since I was using around 800 mg per day.

[highlight=#ffff80]Does this need a prescription from an MD?[/highlight]

Yes, I believe it does require a prescription.

No, my naturopath never cautioned me about it burdening my liver.