Pregnenolone powder dosing

Fllora

Hi all,
I am using Bulk Supplements Pregnenolone powder. They recommend 20 mg/day, and I plan to start with 50, but in any case,
they do not offer a teaspoon equivalent. When I looked on the Web, the only thing I could find was that generally
20 mg of a powder (Very unscientific) is around .004 tsp. and 50 mg. is.01. Imossible and possibly very inaccurate.
I'm not really interested in investing in a gram scale at present.
Anyone else taking the powdered form, and how do you correlate mg with however you take it? Thanks.

Ell

If you don't know the basics of how to determine an amount of substance, then it is probably not wise for you to be messing with this stuff.

miquelangeles

On the bag it says "Use an accurate milligram scale to measure".
You could try to dissolve the whole bag in an appropriately measured amount of olive oil.
If the bag has 10 grams of pregnenolone that's 10,000 milligrams.
It would make sense to dissolve it in 10,000 drops of olive oil.
1 ml of olive oil is approximately 20 drops.
10,000 / 20 = approximately 500 ml of olive oil
Store it in a dropper bottle and 1 drop will be 1 milligram.

livesimply

I recently asked Ray Peat about dosing pregnenolone because in his book From PMS to Menopause he mentioned a WEEKLY 300 mg dose "due to recycling." I am post menopausal. Ray replied "With the pregnenolone that’s now available, it’s important to test small amounts while watching for reactions, because many people are describing reactions that wouldn’t happen from pure material. With good pregnenolone, it doesn’t matter at all [if one takes it daily or weekly]; it has no hormonal action in itself. Averaging 10 mg per day usually compensates for a deficiency." I bought my pregnenolone powder from HealthNatura and got the 8-10mg stainless spoon.

OP
F

Fllora

On the bag it says "Use an accurate milligram scale to measure".
You could try to dissolve the whole bag in an appropriately measured amount of olive oil.
If the bag has 10 grams of pregnenolone that's 10,000 milligrams.
It would make sense to dissolve it in 10,000 drops of olive oil.
1 ml of olive oil is approximately 20 drops.
10,000 / 20 = approximately 500 ml of olive oil
Store it in a dropper bottle and 1 drop will be 1 milligram.
Nice, miquelangeles, thank you

Last edited:
OP
F

Fllora

I recently asked Ray Peat about dosing pregnenolone because in his book From PMS to Menopause he mentioned a WEEKLY 300 mg dose "due to recycling." I am post menopausal. Ray replied "With the pregnenolone that’s now available, it’s important to test small amounts while watching for reactions, because many people are describing reactions that wouldn’t happen from pure material. With good pregnenolone, it doesn’t matter at all [if one takes it daily or weekly]; it has no hormonal action in itself. Averaging 10 mg per day usually compensates for a deficiency." I bought my pregnenolone powder from HealthNatura and got the 8-10mg stainless spoon.
Thanks, livesimply. Have you checked relative to partial teaspoons what that spoon is closest to? I love your logo!

livesimply

Thanks, livesimply. Have you checked relative to partial teaspoons what that spoon is closest to? I love your logo!
Thanks, I like it, too! ;) As for equivalents, here's a page showing the spoons and the one I got: Products - Measuring & Accessories - healthnatura.com In the past I used the 70mg plastic scoop, but now I believe less is more with many things. Since the 70mg spoon is equivalent to 1/32 tsp, the stainless scoop is a fraction of that. Good luck!

OP
F

Fllora

Thanks, I like it, too! ;) As for equivalents, here's a page showing the spoons and the one I got: Products - Measuring & Accessories - healthnatura.com In the past I used the 70mg plastic scoop, but now I believe less is more with many things. Since the 70mg spoon is equivalent to 1/32 tsp, the stainless scoop is a fraction of that. Good luck!
Thanks for this, livesimply. After checking out the healthnatura stainless scoop, I found cheap ones on ebay, then looked at and decided to buy a digital scale, supposedly accurate to .01 grams/10 mg. CS-100 Digital Portable Jewerly Scale Horizon 100g x 0.01g Precision Scale | eBay
Which is still not really accurate enough, but probably better than guestimating with a spoon, since weights vary. For $9 it's worth a try.

Ismail

Wow amazing! Thank you for this ?
Are you noticing any benefits from taking pregnenolone? Thank you again ?

livesimply

livesimply

Thank you - had forgotten about that article.
you're welcome. there are so many great articles and interviews it is easy to lose track of them!

teds

Forum Supporter
Here's Ray Peat on pregnenolone (scroll about ⅓ way down): Progesterone Pregnenolone & DHEA - Three Youth-Associated Hormones
Personally, I think my thyroid is functioning better and my arthritis isn't bothering me very much.
Hey @livesimply - sorry I know this post is a few months old but I wondered if you had any type of ‘cycling’ patterns when you take pregnenlone? It’s been suggested to me to take it only first part of cycle but the Ray article seems to imply that it wouldn’t matter as long as the purity is good. I’ve also got the Health natura one. Thanks.

livesimply

Hey @livesimply - sorry I know this post is a few months old but I wondered if you had any type of ‘cycling’ patterns when you take pregnenlone? It’s been suggested to me to take it only first part of cycle but the Ray article seems to imply that it wouldn’t matter as long as the purity is good. I’ve also got the Health natura one. Thanks.
Two quotes from Ray:
June 2013: "There's no advantage in cycling pregnenolone."
February 2021: "With good pregnenolone, it doesn’t matter at all; it has no hormonal action in itself. Averaging 10 mg per day usually compensates for a deficiency."

I've actually increased my dose from 10mg to 70mg a day. I actually think it's "smoothed" out my skin a bit! This after re-reading Ray's article Progesterone Pregnenolone and DHEA:
"
In a healthy young person or animal, taking even a large dose of pregnenolone has no hormone-like or drug-like action at all. It is unique in this way. But if the animal or person is under stress, and producing more cortisone than usual, taking pregnenolone causes the cortisone to come down to the normal level. After the age of 40 or 45, it seems that everyone lives in a state of continuous "stress," just as a normal part of aging. This coincides with the body's decreased ability to produce an abundance of pregnenolone......Many people have noticed that pregnenolone has a "face-lifting" action. This effect seems to be produced by improved circulation to the skin, and by an actual contraction of some muscle-like cells in the skin. A similar effect can improve joint mobility in arthritis, tissue elasticity in the lungs, and even eyesight. Many studies have shown it to be protective of "fibrous tissues" in general, and in this connection it was proven to prevent the tumors that can be caused by estrogen."

Hope this helps!

teds

Forum Supporter
Two quotes from Ray:
June 2013: "There's no advantage in cycling pregnenolone."
February 2021: "With good pregnenolone, it doesn’t matter at all; it has no hormonal action in itself. Averaging 10 mg per day usually compensates for a deficiency."

I've actually increased my dose from 10mg to 70mg a day. I actually think it's "smoothed" out my skin a bit! This after re-reading Ray's article Progesterone Pregnenolone and DHEA:
"
In a healthy young person or animal, taking even a large dose of pregnenolone has no hormone-like or drug-like action at all. It is unique in this way. But if the animal or person is under stress, and producing more cortisone than usual, taking pregnenolone causes the cortisone to come down to the normal level. After the age of 40 or 45, it seems that everyone lives in a state of continuous "stress," just as a normal part of aging. This coincides with the body's decreased ability to produce an abundance of pregnenolone......Many people have noticed that pregnenolone has a "face-lifting" action. This effect seems to be produced by improved circulation to the skin, and by an actual contraction of some muscle-like cells in the skin. A similar effect can improve joint mobility in arthritis, tissue elasticity in the lungs, and even eyesight. Many studies have shown it to be protective of "fibrous tissues" in general, and in this connection it was proven to prevent the tumors that can be caused by estrogen."

Hope this helps!
So helpful! Thanks I just have missed that quote on the lack of benefit to cycling- I did read the article that you linked which made me feel kore confident to go ahead and try it. I ordered it almost 5 months ago and it finally arrived yesterday!! :)
Thanks for your input.

livesimply

So helpful! Thanks I just have missed that quote on the lack of benefit to cycling- I did read the article that you linked which made me feel kore confident to go ahead and try it. I ordered it almost 5 months ago and it finally arrived yesterday!! :)
Thanks for your input.
You're welcome! Gosh, that order took a LONG time.

teds

Forum Supporter
You're welcome! Gosh, that order took a LONG time.
yes- to be fair, it was USPS's 'fault'.. they just stopped posting to australia... i don't know what sort of storage facility they have at Chicago international airport but it must be truly enormous with the backlog that it apparently sitting there! :)
Health natura were really helpful and sent me a new parcel via a different carrier and it was with me within a fortnight! :)

livesimply

Health natura were really helpful and sent me a new parcel via a different carrier and it was with me within a fortnight! :)
:clap: :clap:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals