Pregnenolone May Protect From Marijuana Intoxication

haidut

Forum Supporter
A lot of people smoke weed these days, and it happens to be highly anti-androgenic and serotonergic. But if it is helpful for some people then it would be nice if there was a way to mitigate some of the undesirable effects. It looks like pregnenolone may be able to help.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24385629

pboy

maybe its because my metabolism is fast and my mind is in check for bs, but it actually dopes me up rather than whatever other people say. Theres a lot of details that go into things that people don't consider, such as butane, paper, low quality sprayed herbs, and other things. Id challenege the claims that it in of itself is anti androgenic, I actually think its pro androgenic

this is why personal experience trumps things said by people with none

burtlancast

From your article:
The administration of the main active principle of Cannabis sativa (THC), substantially increases the synthesis of pregnenolone in the brain via activation of the type-1 cannabinoid (CB1) receptor. Pregnenolone then, acting as a signaling-specific inhibitor of the CB1 receptor, reduces several effects of THC.

So, THC activates synthesis of pregnenolone in the brain.

We are probably touching at the mechanism enabling THC to regenerate neurons, and favorably impact Alzheimer, Parkinsons, Dementias, ...

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
burtlancast said:
From your article:
The administration of the main active principle of Cannabis sativa (THC), substantially increases the synthesis of pregnenolone in the brain via activation of the type-1 cannabinoid (CB1) receptor. Pregnenolone then, acting as a signaling-specific inhibitor of the CB1 receptor, reduces several effects of THC.

So, THC activates synthesis of pregnenolone in the brain.

We are probably touching at the mechanism enabling THC to regenerate neurons, and favorably impact Alzheimer, Parkinsons, Dementias, ...

Yes, I think it is a negative feedback mechanism to limit the effects of THC. The study said pregnenolone binds to the THC "receptor" and decreases its activation by THC thus reducing the intoxication. So, once the brain senses THC it starts synthesizing pregnenolone to control the effects of THC.

burtlancast

haidut said:
once the brain senses THC it starts synthesizing pregnenolone to control the effects of THC.

THC is one of the most studied substances at the moment, toegether with CBD.
Considering the prevalence of the endo-cannabinoid system in all organs, the brain particularly,
the potential medical applications are staggering.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
burtlancast said:
haidut said:
once the brain senses THC it starts synthesizing pregnenolone to control the effects of THC.

THC is one of the most studied substances at the moment, toegether with CBD.
Considering the prevalence of the endo-cannabinoid system in all organs, the brain particularly,
the potential medical applications are staggering.

And if of THC stimulates synthesis of pregnenolone, this study would explain some of the anti-cancer effects of THC (due to pregnenolone).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21964577

Incidentally, since caffeine also potently stimulates pregnenolone, progesterone and even DHT synthesis as I posted in another thread, that would also explain some of the anti-cancer activity of caffeine.

loess

Does vaporizing marijuana has any advantage over smoking in regards to serotonin and estrogen? Are there any studies that have investigated this? I never really smoked a lot (usually 2-3 times a month at most), but a couple of years ago I acquired a small vaporizer and switched over to using that instead. I occasionally use it with marijuana, or sometimes mix a few other herbs that make me feel good (damiana, chamomile, lavender, rose petals, a few others).

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
loess said:
Does vaporizing marijuana has any advantage over smoking in regards to serotonin and estrogen? Are there any studies that have investigated this? I never really smoked a lot, but a couple of years ago I acquired a small vaporizer that I occasionally use with marijuana, or sometimes mix a few other herbs that made me feel good (damiana, chamomile, lavender, rose petals, a few others).

Peat said that marijuana can have beneficial effects but should never be smoked. He mentioned making tea from it as preferable to smoking, but vaporizing would probably be OK as well.

burtlancast

This is what i've heard too; vaporizing is better.

Marijuana became legal here in Washington state (on my birthday, no less), so in order to exercise my new found freedom I ran out and legally bought a couple varieties for fun and experimentation. I never smoke it, instead I simmer it in butter, strain and use it in cooking. I have found that eating it is way more fun than smoking ever was, but I don't do it very often because the effects are so long lasting....gonna go try TEA next!

Vinero

I wonder what Ray meant when he said it can have beneficial effects, but that it never should be smoked. Does this mean that eating cannabis is beneficial in some way? It being anti-androgenic and pro-serotonergic isn't good, but maybe it reduces adrenaline (weed relaxes people). But this is not always the case. I have seen a lot of people reporting panic attacks from hash brownies, (with pounding heart suggesting adrenaline rush) but maybe this is because they dose too high.

pboy

they cant handle the anti-bitchness it suddenly induces, which they have been lacking their whole lives

you can up the dose but its best effects are in small amounts so you don't wanna pass out. It induces extremely restful rebuilding rest. It was used by wrestlers and athletes in ancient india for thousands of years for this exact purpose...probably why bodybuilders smoke these days. It is anti seretonigenic, if you smoke it right and use quality herb...I daresay one of the most there is of any herb, substance. Keep in mind serotonin is the learned helplessness, forcing patience chemical...and it makes you free of those bonds, or at least notice all the bull**** that causes this...I mean, its incredibly profound...and like I said in another topic, the more you use it in novel and new, or just any normal life situation, the more it benefits. You cant be of weak courage

BigPapaChakra

The work of William Courtney, MD, and Allan Frankel, MD, are good for learning about the incredible amount of use marijuana has. It's much more than THC. Raw cannabis as a juice, or almost like a raw "vegetable", is completely non-psychoactive as all the cannabinoids are in their "acid" form. You can get in 1000's of times the dose you could with even, say, a hash oil, yet not get high. Dr. Frankel has started looking into other aspects of marijuana, too, such as terpenes and other compounds. Some of the things Dr. Peat recommends acts upon the endocannabinoid system, or, "bliss receptors" (which I've discussed with him in the past).

Even if cannabis was entirely estrogenic and serotonergic (which, again, not only are there different strains, but the different methods of administration change the composition of the cannabinoids, terpenes, etc. let alone the possibility for one to extract certain compounds via vapor 'resin' and the like), the mere activation of the endocannabinoid system, it's shut down of inflammation in similar ways to a Peaty diet, aspirin, etc. would more than make up for it.

And before anyone asks, no, I'm not a stoner. Haven't consumed cannabis in like 2 years, though I'm looking into medical marijuana :):

burtlancast

BigPapaChakra said:
The work of William Courtney, MD, and Allan Frankel, MD, are good for learning about the incredible amount of use marijuana has. It's much more than THC. Raw cannabis as a juice, or almost like a raw "vegetable", is completely non-psychoactive as all the cannabinoids are in their "acid" form.

I don't know DR Frankel, but i've looked at Dr' Courtney's website and i can only shake my head.

He's claiming all these wonderful medicinal properties of raw cannabis based on what evidence ?

I believe his wife ( or is it daughter? ) testifies how she cured a long list of illnesses ( lupus being one of them) while looking like a top model; there's nothing else to back it up; the few scientific articles he references on his site seem to point back to his own website.

Guy's not clean.

I always offer pregnenolone to high people but they're too scared to take it. I will experiment myself eventually.

pboy

if you look at THC as an essential nutrient rather than a 'toxin', a lot more makes sense out of it. Think about it, and its stored in fat tissue? for a month? A million and one good things happen when CB1 gets activated, and there is no toxicity or damage even from extreme amounts of ingested cannabis. A non toxin, that has no bitter or sour qualities in taste, it tastes pleasant sweet, and has profound hormone synthesizing qualities, anti inflammatory, regeneration, immune enhancing qualities. I daresay most of people suffer from a cannabis deficiency, especially the science community

its probably from anandamide, but THC does the same thing

BigPapaChakra

burtlancast said:
BigPapaChakra said:
The work of William Courtney, MD, and Allan Frankel, MD, are good for learning about the incredible amount of use marijuana has. It's much more than THC. Raw cannabis as a juice, or almost like a raw "vegetable", is completely non-psychoactive as all the cannabinoids are in their "acid" form.

I don't know DR Frankel, but i've looked at Dr' Courtney's website and i can only shake my head.

He's claiming all these wonderful medicinal properties of raw cannabis based on what evidence ?

I believe his wife ( or is it daughter? ) testifies how she cured a long list of illnesses ( lupus being one of them) while looking like a top model; there's nothing else to back it up; the few scientific articles he references on his site seem to point back to his own website.

Guy's not clean.

I don't really have the time to delve deep into it right now, as I have to take care of some stuff for a chemistry course, but I'll link to some introductory things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxJmFSmOrqo Evidence That Cannabis Contains Unique Dietary Essential Nutrients

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g79HokJTfPU Cannabinoid Profiles - THC, THCA, THCV, CBD, CBG, CBN, CBC & Terpenes

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ac50047a068 Mass spectrometric characterization of cannabinoids in raw Cannabis sativa L. samples

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 470900128X Non-psychotropic plant cannabinoids: new therapeutic opportunities from an ancient herb

http://sclabs.com/learn/learn-cannabinoids.html (a lab that tests batches of medical marijuana) "THCA is the main constituent in raw cannabis. THCA converts to Δ9-THC when burned, vaporized, or heated for a period of time at a certain temperature. THCA holds much of the anti-inflammatory properties, as well as anti-proliferative and anti-spasmodic."

"CBDA, similar to THCA, is the main constituent in cannabis that has elevated CBD levels. THCA, CBDA, CBGA and other acidic cannabinods hold the most COX-1 and COX-2 inhibition for the anti-inflammatory properties that cannabis has to offer."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4009504/ Cannabidiolic acid, a major cannabinoid in fiber-type cannabis, is an inhibitor of MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cell migration

http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/content/36/9/1917.abstract Cannabidiolic Acid as a Selective Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibitory Component in Cannabis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRDoKgE4gAc Heart Surgeon: Eating Raw Marijuana Daily Reduces Stroke up to 50%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oObefz32RCE THRiiiVE Summit #11 Dr Allan Frankel "Cannabis - Dosing by the mg instead of grams" (not necessarily about dietary cannabis, but he describes some of the differences between cannabinoids AND how method of administration (smoke vs. vape vs. edible vs. tincture vs. oil etc) changes the effects and chemical composition of the medicine)

Raw, dietary cannabis has barely even been studied, and it seems like there's a lot of evidence, both indirect and direct. It really just takes knowledge on the science of cannabinoids, primarily outside of THC, and then some novel connections.

BigPapaChakra

Dr. Allan Frankel has his skepticism about THCA and CBDA (from raw/dietary cannabis), but seems to believe there is potential:

"For many of the benefits of cannabis, the molecules must be heated to “De-carboxylate” the molecules. This forms the GENERALLY active forms of the molecules. However, there are clear benefits from the acid form of THC, or THC-A, but less is known about the acid form of CBD or CBD-A. It appears that it is not as active against cancer cells, but who knows about pain, anxiety, etc??? I don’t. (...) I am very familiar with juicing and Dr. Courtney’s work. We need to see some solid studies using the Acid form of the cannabinoid molecules. At this point in time, nearly all research has been done of the dedarboxylated molecules and I stand in that group. I am interested in doing more research with Carboxylated cannabis in a dosed manner." (as we can see from the above, though, CBDA does appear to be protective against cancer)

http://greenbridgemed.com/2013/03/20/to ... d-that-is/

So, since we display cannabinoid "receptors" weed is a vitamin?

pboy

if you consume it enough, live away from the city or a lot of mainstream people, and then look at the situation at large, it actually makes sense that it has something that people are lacking. A million and one things would be different if all people used cannabis, it changes ones decision making...to more the whole and intimate natural connections rather than an inflamed isolated personal decision. People would be surprised how many of the greatest minds were cannabis users. We would have more architecture like Wrights falling waters and Japanese gardens rather than polluted cities and bombardment of marketing viruses

CB receptors are most concentrated in the pre frontal cortex, which is the highest evolved human part of the brain...that can control the more primitive regions