Pregnenolone Increases Maximum Lifespan By 60% (animal Model)

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study also hints that other hormones from the same cluster may have similar effect. It is also worth noting that the study used a technique to stimulate increased endogenous pregnenolone synthesis rather than use external supplementation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17266678

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
The animal model was the worm C. elegans, but the same model was used for the finding that caffeine extends maximum lifespan by 52% and those findings have been replicated in higher animals like rats.
I can't get a conversion for the dose since I can't find any information on the worms and how much pregnenolone they ingested. However, the effects were highly dose-dependent with the highest pregnenolone dose achieving 60%+ extension of the maximum lifespan. In humans that would mean living to 130+ years.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17266678
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 268.x/full

"...If PREG acts downstream of DAF-9 to extend lifespan following removal of the germline, then it should have a relatively large effect on the lifespan of a glp-1; daf-9(rh50) mutant. We found that this was the case: PREG extended the lifespan of these animals by approximately 60% at the highest concentrations tested. In an otherwise wild-type background, daf-9(rh50) mutants grown at 20 °C are slightly short lived (Gerisch et al., 2001), and we found that PREG also extended the lifespans of these animals (Fig. 2C,D, and Supplementary Fig. S2). Data from Kliewer et al. (1998) suggest that a derivative of PREG induces expression of P450s in mammals. Thus, we considered the possibility that PREG increases lifespan by up-regulating expression of the hypomorphic daf-9(rh50) gene. This model seems unlikely, since daf-9 activity affects PREG levels."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks, this is much better.

DavePalumbo

I suspect the same is true for all major hormones (preg, prog, dhea and estrogen), except testosterone. We know that women who take estrogen and progesterone LOOK much younger than they are. Obviously they still age but there is clearly a reduction in signs of aging. We also know that female hormones (progesterone is neutral, I know) protect against age-related diseases like atherosclerosis (by inhibiting lipoprotein(a) ) and cognitive decline, as well as other things.

The anti-aging effects off female hormones are not just a matter of causing female sex characteristics (smoother skin) but are clearly more fundamental.

Men who take physiological (OR supraphysiological) dosages of testosterone age more rapidly (judging from their appearance, which is a legitimate marker of aging). There are 70 year old men who take testosterone and it clearly does not do anything against their aging, except ameliorating the sarcopenia (muscle loss) and protecting against atherosclerosis via converting to estrogen.

Could it be that the reason testosterone injections seem to cause rapid aging is because of testicular shutdown and thus low levels of pregnenolone, progesterone and dhea? I think so!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Could it be that the reason testosterone injections seem to cause rapid aging is because of testicular shutdown and thus low levels of pregnenolone, progesterone and dhea? I think so!

Possibly, but it would not be from gonadal shutdown as pregnenolone, progesterone and DHEA are made mostly in the adrenals. The brain and skin are other organs that can make pregnenolone and the brain probably produces the most of any organ. But to your point - unphysiological doses of T deplete neurosteroids levels in the brain and if the brain ages, the body follows suit very quickly. There are few studies with T and synthetic AAS and they now call for ALWAYS adding at least pregnenolone to any steroid regimen. Selye stated this decades ago as shown in the study in the Pansterone thread. He thought that not only does pregnenolone potentiate the effects of end-point steroids but it can protect from an excess of them.

Xemnoraq

The study also hints that other hormones from the same cluster may have similar effect. It is also worth noting that the study used a technique to stimulate increased endogenous pregnenolone synthesis rather than use external supplementation.

A steroid hormone that extends the lifespan of Caenorhabditis elegans - PubMed
When you say technique to stimulate pregnenolone production, as opposed to supplementation, how does that related to something such a marijuana which stimulates pregnenolone production as a stressor?

Its strange because despite all the bad effects of weed there still seems to be p
Something positive stoners report? Is weed all bad or is there aby beneficial aspect to it? Otherwise why would stoners swear by it? Personally i dont smoke weed and never enhoyed it but if it stimulates pregnenolone production could that be good or bad? One could argue its hormetic like toughening up the system while opposite you could say it exhasts pregnenolone production by acting as a chronic stressor, i thought about that from what you mentioned about this study that they stimulated pregnenolone production rather than supplemented