Pregnenolone For Pets

dookie

My grandmother has a cat who has severe arthritis. It has trouble moving around and jumping. I thought about giving it pregnenolone, since I recall Peat mentioned a study where animals had their stomach filled with pregnenolone without any bad effects. But I am a bit hesitant, since I don't want to risk the old cats life, lol. I read on many pregnenolone product reviews where people say they experience heart palpitations from even 5 mg of preg.

Has anyone tried giving pregnenolone to an animal and were there any adverse effects?

Would you think it's safe to give your own pet something like 10 mg of pregnenolone?

Stilgar

What does the cat eat?

Commercial cat food is woefully low in calcium and other minerals compared to their prey diet.
High calcium is important. Feeding bones, or bone meal in their food, or eggshell may help. Also, cats can be sensitive to thiamine in the diet, and a deficiency can look like arthritis. This is especially true if the cat is hyperthyroid, which is very common in older cats, because they use up thiamine too fast. Commercial cat food puts a high demand on thiamine, as do all meat raw diets. Watch out for the aggressiveness which is associated with the deficiency, or if the cat hides a lot.

As for pregnenolone, I am sure it won't hurt, but it might not help the arthritis - it depends. I have given my cats thyroid to good effect. Most cats are neuteured or spayed too, which undoubtedly affects their hormone levels, rendering them more susceptible to the horrors of degenerative disease. I have wondered about giving progest-e to my female cats, but haven't yet as they are otherwise healthy.

OP
D

dookie

The cat has been raised on the typical commercial cat food, but recently I urged my grandmother to start giving it meat (mostly beef) and fresh milk. It seems to have helped a bit. You gave your cat thyroid? I'm more afraid of trying thyroid then pregnenolone, it just seems hard to dose it. Did you cut T3 tablets in really small pieces?

Stilgar

Wow, does the cat tolerate milk ok? I have heard people doing that but always assumed the poor cat had permanent diarhoea! Perhaps I am mistaken and Ray's milk tolerance theories extend to our feline companions too!

Long story, but my cats got ventroflexion of the neck, where their muscles go weak, simultaneously. I was worried I had over-fed them liver, because I had forgotten to pay attention to their food ratios. So I gave them cynoplus, to try to use up the vitamin A. Cats would naturally eat thyroid at each meal with a mouse/rat, so it figures that a small amount is a normal to their physiology. It pulled them right out of the ventroflexion. I think it helped the nerve function temporarily. But after a few weeks they were super agitated still, and when I dropped the thyroid dose they got worse, and I eventually twigged it was thiamine (hence my above knowledge on the issue!) and not the vitamin A. I have no idea how it happened, apart from possibly an over-reliance on shop bought meat, and PUFA restriction rendering them susceptible to vitamin deficiencies due to high metabolism. I was being pretty basic with their food before that - minced beef, cut beef pieces, bone meal, kidney, liver and taurine. High dose thiamine and they are doing much better, but thyroid dosing close to a 1/4 a tablet a day for each cat at one stage. It definitely made them more alert and more comfortable, even if it was probably covering the issue.

I would work with calcium first. Even some calcium carbonate powder mixed in the beef would probably help. Cats tolerate excess ok, though google a dose first. A b complex wouldn't hurt, too, to improve metabolism.

Giraffe

dookie said:
post 105558 My grandmother has a cat who has severe arthritis. It has trouble moving around and jumping.

Taurine and inflammatory diseases

"There are reports showing that administration of TauCl improves the course of arthritis in various experimental animal models."
They also mention that taurine may be used as a prodrug. Cat's can't synthesize taurine, they need to get it from food.

Last edited by a moderator:

goodandevil

Wow, does the cat tolerate milk ok? I have heard people doing that but always assumed the poor cat had permanent diarhoea! Perhaps I am mistaken and Ray's milk tolerance theories extend to our feline companions too!

Long story, but my cats got ventroflexion of the neck, where their muscles go weak, simultaneously. I was worried I had over-fed them liver, because I had forgotten to pay attention to their food ratios. So I gave them cynoplus, to try to use up the vitamin A. Cats would naturally eat thyroid at each meal with a mouse/rat, so it figures that a small amount is a normal to their physiology. It pulled them right out of the ventroflexion. I think it helped the nerve function temporarily. But after a few weeks they were super agitated still, and when I dropped the thyroid dose they got worse, and I eventually twigged it was thiamine (hence my above knowledge on the issue!) and not the vitamin A. I have no idea how it happened, apart from possibly an over-reliance on shop bought meat, and PUFA restriction rendering them susceptible to vitamin deficiencies due to high metabolism. I was being pretty basic with their food before that - minced beef, cut beef pieces, bone meal, kidney, liver and taurine. High dose thiamine and they are doing much better, but thyroid dosing close to a 1/4 a tablet a day for each cat at one stage. It definitely made them more alert and more comfortable, even if it was probably covering the issue.

I would work with calcium first. Even some calcium carbonate powder mixed in the beef would probably help. Cats tolerate excess ok, though google a dose first. A b complex wouldn't hurt, too, to improve metabolism.
How much thiamine did you use? @Stilgar

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals