Pregnenolone & DHEA Replenishment Dosage

haidut

Forum Supporter
First time posting :shy:
Tried using a 10mg Preg lozenge and found (very quickly) it created anger for me. Suddenly I'm an ***hole! (& I mean, I have my moments, but usually in no way like what this made me feel & do & say :wtf: . There was a brief period of mental clarity & physical energy before the anger kicked in I have to say) Stopped using it just as quickly and now am back to feeling a bit sad & embarrassed) It pretty much happened the twice I took it over a couple of days in consecutive weeks, so fairly certain that's what did it. Does this seem to be a common side effect? (female, post-meno, normally just using Progesterone cream, a 75mcg Synthroid generic, recently starting to use fruits, milk, niacinamide, gelatin etc) & reading up on how to benefit from Peat nutritional ideas. Would Preg be turning into testosterone? & so quickly? Any ideas on why & if it is, should I supp with Preg at all given that reaction? My main goals are upping metabolism (raising lower temp/heart rate), & attaining some control over the juggernaut of creeping belly fat. Have otherwise not gained excessive body fat any other place but there in the past 5 or so years.

It's not testosterone, it is allopregnanolone into which pregnenolone quickly converts through the progesterone pathways. For a long time clinicians were puzzled how come low doses of progesterone (which tends to metabolize quickly into downstream steroids like allopregnanolone) worsens mood and social intercation while high dose makes people nice and mellow. It wasn't until allopregnanolone was discovered that this riddle got solved.
Allopregnanolone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"...Increased levels of allopregnanolone can produce paradoxical effects, including negative mood, anxiety, irritability, and aggression.[28][29][30] This appears to be because allopregnanolone possesses biphasic, U-shaped actions at the GABAA receptor – moderate level increases (in the range of 1.5–2 nM/L total allopregnanolone, which are approximately equivalent to luteal phase levels) inhibit the activity of the receptor, while lower and higher concentration increases stimulate it.[28][29] This seems to be a common effect of many GABAA receptor positive allosteric modulators.[25][30] In accordance, acute administration of low doses of micronized progesterone (which reliably elevates allopregnanolone levels), have been found to have negative effects on mood, while higher doses have a neutral effect."

Gl;itch.e

It's not testosterone, it is allopregnanolone into which pregnenolone quickly converts through the progesterone pathways. For a long time clinicians were puzzled how come low doses of progesterone (which tends to metabolize quickly into downstream steroids like allopregnanolone) worsens mood and social intercation while high dose makes people nice and mellow. It wasn't until allopregnanolone was discovered that this riddle got solved.
"...Increased levels of allopregnanolone can produce paradoxical effects, including negative mood, anxiety, irritability, and aggression.[28][29][30] This appears to be because allopregnanolone possesses biphasic, U-shaped actions at the GABAA receptor – moderate level increases (in the range of 1.5–2 nM/L total allopregnanolone, which are approximately equivalent to luteal phase levels) inhibit the activity of the receptor, while lower and higher concentration increases stimulate it.[28][29] This seems to be a common effect of many GABAA receptor positive allosteric modulators.[25][30] In accordance, acute administration of low doses of micronized progesterone (which reliably elevates allopregnanolone levels), have been found to have negative effects on mood, while higher doses have a neutral effect."
Interesting Haidut. The reason I first thought it would be cortisol is because when I have experienced the irritability and (mild) aggression from Pregnenolone it was reduced by increasing my sugar consumption/having a meal.

Gigs

I'm puzzled. I've been using Progesterone for some time now with no mood effects. Pregnenolone was the only addition recently. I should stop usig Progesterone?

haidut

Forum Supporter
I'm puzzled. I've been using Progesterone for some time now with no mood effects. Pregnenolone was the only addition recently. I should stop usig Progesterone?

I am not suggesting stopping anything. Just clarifying that the anger issues some people get from pregnenolone could be from the conversion into allopregnanolone. The conversion and effects on mood are very individual-specific. It also depends on dose. If your current progesterone regimen is working I would not change it.

docall18

In accordance, acute administration of low doses of micronized progesterone (which reliably elevates allopregnanolone levels), have been found to have negative effects on mood, while higher doses have a neutral effect."

Mmm I get great benefits from tiny doses of progesterone - 2mg/day TD. Higher dose's wipe me out. Maybe my allopregnenolone levels are naturally low..

sladerunner69

How do I reverse depersonalization as a result of long term pregnenelone/dhea use? Ive been taking the stuff for months and now I've been off it for 3 days. I still don't feel normal... I have rbain fog, memory loss, just don't feel like Im within myself.

Jsaute21

@sladerunner69 any update on this? I have been taking dhea for 4 days. Very low dose (2 MCT drops on scrotum) and my libido is literally nonexistent. My beautiful girlfriend might as well be a 300 LB man. I will get bloods done to see if there is any reason for this.

sladerunner69

@sladerunner69 any update on this? I have been taking dhea for 4 days. Very low dose (2 MCT drops on scrotum) and my libido is literally nonexistent. My beautiful girlfriend might as well be a 300 LB man. I will get bloods done to see if there is any reason for this.

How was your libido before taking dhea? Are you saying you habe less libido or more now?

Jsaute21

I would say overall less @sladerunner69. Still capable of having sex, just a little questionable libido. I have struggled with some OCD type qualities for a while now (2-3 years) and that tends to affect my sex drive. It's hard to say if the OCD is a manifestation of low metabolism or a separate genetic issue. My theory is I am prone to OCD behavior when metabolism is low. How long have you been taking pansterone, and what effects have you noticed?

Frankdee20

I can tell you that too much standard oral pregnenolone DOES cause issues if your basal metabolic rate is low and mitochondria are damaged.

ACTH suppression and depersonalisation are known to occur and horrendous to get out of.

Transdermal or lipid matrix preg avoid this risk.

What about sublingual?

brocktoon

WHICH BRAND DHEA PLEASE,!
I've looked into this a bit. Douglas Labs 5mg sublingual micronized tabs is a solid choice. You can easily split them into 2.5mg doses if you like. Taken sublingually, the tabs don't pass through the liver/digestive process.

Frankdee20

I've looked into this a bit. Douglas Labs 5mg sublingual micronized tabs is a solid choice. You can easily split them into 2.5mg doses if you like. Taken sublingually, the tabs don't pass through the liver/digestive process.

I’ve used this exact product, yes, you can score them in half. Sublingual has very different effects than oral.

brocktoon

I’ve used this exact product, yes, you can score them in half. Sublingual has very different effects than oral.
I have not yet tried the Douglas Labs product -- how are its sublingual effects different from tablets/pills/capsules? More effective?

Frankdee20

Update, last three days, took a 5 mg capsule of DHEA under the tongue. At first, got decent effects, then by mid day, I feel off, depersonalization bad. I’m not going to continue, I like my Pregnenalone more.

Frankdee20

I have an entire bottle of Pure Encapsulations DHEA micronized 5mg capsules, 57 remaining. Minimal excipients like cellulose. I’m going to throw out unless someone wants it for 5 bucks.

Arnold Grape

Update, last three days, took a 5 mg capsule of DHEA under the tongue. At first, got decent effects, then by mid day, I feel off, depersonalization bad. I’m not going to continue, I like my Pregnenalone more.
Have you tried taking the DHEA/ Pregnenolone simultaneously?

Frankdee20

Have you tried taking the DHEA/ Pregnenolone simultaneously?

Yes, I do Pregnenalone orally, around 20mg, and Dhea sublingually simultaneously. Now I haven’t taken the Dhea orally yet, I know I hated sublingual Pregnenalone initially. I wonder if I should try 2-3 mg DHEA orally before calling it quits.