Pregnenolone Can Stop Habitual Behavior

haidut

Forum Supporter
Please don't take this as somehow being a rant against marijuana. It is definitely not. I am much more interested in reversing habit and routine than bashing whatever substance happens to work for people or they just find enjoyable.
I posted a few studies on the role of serotonin in the formation or habitual/routine behavior and the role of dopamine in reversing that and supporting goal-oriented behavior:
Low serotonin is key to "perceive, think, act"

So, while this study did not mention pregnenolone by name it find out that the formation of habitual behavior (and thus inhibition of goal-oriented behavior) also depends on the activation of the endocannabinoid system. Specifically, activation of the CB1 "receptor". When the CB1 "receptor" was deleted genetically or blocked with drugs, the animals could not form habits.
I also posted a study some time ago showing that pregnenolone is an antagonist to the cannabinoid "receptors" and especially CB1.
Pregnenolone may protect from marijuana intoxication

I also posted a study showing that pregnenolone and its metabolites are dopaminergic. All of these facts combined point to pregnenolone being a great tool to reverse habitual behaviors and possible even learned helplessness.

"...In the current study, since endocannabinoids are known to reduce the activity of neurons in general, the researchers hypothesized that endocannabinoids may be quieting or reducing activity in the OFC and, with it, the ability to shift to goal-directed action. They focused particularly on neurons projecting from the OFC into the dorsomedial striatum. They trained mice to perform the same lever-pressing action for the same food reward but in two different environments that differentially bias the development of goal-directed versus habitual actions. Like humans who don't suffer from neuropsychiatric disorders, healthy mice will readily shift between performing the same action using a goal-directed versus habitual action strategy. To stick with the earlier example of getting home, we can switch the homing autopilot off and shift to goal-directed behavior when we need to get to a new or different location. To test their hypothesis on the role played by endocannabinoids, the researchers then deleted a particular endocannabinoid receptor, called cannabinoid type 1, or CB1, in the OFC-to-striatum pathway. Mice missing these receptors did not form habits -- showing the critical role played by the neurochemicals as well as that particular pathway."

Vinero

Might be interesting to try pregnenolone for autism. Since repetitive behavior and excessive routine behavior are seen in autism. Cannabis might be very bad for autistic individuals if cannabinoids enforce habitual behaviors and learned helplessness.

squanch

Interesting.
I did develop some pretty bad OCD behavior while smoking cannabis daily. I don't really smoke anymore but still have it to some degree.
Pregnenolone doesn't really do anything for me personally in regards to the OCD though to be honest (at least not in doses of 50mg daily).
Is there anything else one might try to safely antagonize/block the CB1 "receptor"?

Kasper

I dont know , but I always had problems making routines, like brushing my teeth every evening.

Is having some routines without really thinking about it not good for the human body? I only notice more rythm and consistency in my daily life since improving my metabolism. Which I like, because I used to be a chaotic mess.

I mean like waking up at the same time. I brush my teeth, take a shower, make breakfast.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Interesting.
I did develop some pretty bad OCD behavior while smoking cannabis daily. I don't really smoke anymore but still have it to some degree.
Pregnenolone doesn't really do anything for me personally in regards to the OCD though to be honest (at least not in doses of 50mg daily).
Is there anything else one might try to safely antagonize/block the CB1 "receptor"?

The pregnenolone dose used in the marijuana study was close to 100mg human equivalent dose. They also said that even higher doses may be needed to keep the receptor blocked chronically. So, 50mg may not cut it.

squanch

The pregnenolone dose used in the marijuana study was close to 100mg human equivalent dose. They also said that even higher doses may be needed to keep the receptor blocked chronically. So, 50mg may not cut it.
thanks, i might try a higher dose for a while

Peata

I'm trying 50 mg 2 x day for now. One reason I'm taking preg. is because I'm desperate to stop my habitual hair-pulling that developed in winter 2014. It may be placebo, but so far I'm much more resistant to the compulsion.

Peata

I'm trying 50 mg 2 x day for now. One reason I'm taking preg. is because I'm desperate to stop my habitual hair-pulling that developed in winter 2014. It may be placebo, but so far I'm much more resistant to the compulsion.
So far, I haven't pulled any hairs in days. Hopefully this isn't just placebo.

Peata

Read that marijuana use causes the brain to increase pregnenolone. Maybe that's another reason why marijuana use slows Alzheimers (along with decreased amyloid beta).

milk_lover

I have read about all the good things regarding pregnenolone. Although I feel good on it, it converts to too much progesterone in my body I think. It made me gain fat in women places like the butt and thighs. Also, water retention and stomach bloating. DHEA in low doses does the opposite. I think for some, pregnenolone is not the best solution for everything and caution should be taken. I did supplement 50 mg of pregnenolone almost daily for the last couple of months.

Mauritio

"In particular, we describe the action of pregnenolone as a negative allosteric modulator and a specific signalling inhibitor of the CB1R."