Pregnenolone And DHEA In Traumatic Brain Injury

Demyze

Today I heard the first mention of Pregnenolone outside of a "Ray Peat Source". Joe Rogan had a Dr. Mark Gordon on his podcast. Dr. Gordon is an endocrinologist who found that the levels of neurosteroids are very diminished in people who've experienced traumatic brain injuries.

After a quick search I came across several publications that seem to support his clinical experience that administration of PREG and DHEA have positive effects on these patients and often reverse the issues.

Here's a link to the podcast if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIQC3zHfVaI

He also brought up NAC being used in some military research to prevent trauma from strong blasts.

Anyone have any insight if using these hormones long after an injury can still have the same positive effects? I know Haidut is the PREG and DHEA man in these parts ;)

johnsmith

That's a good episode. They get off topic during the second half, if I remember right.

Are there any other things that help? I've heard bag breathing, niacinamide and cypro mentioned on this forum for this problem, but not much else.

Constatine

That's a good episode. They get off topic during the second half, if I remember right.

Are there any other things that help? I've heard bag breathing, niacinamide and cypro mentioned on this forum for this problem, but not much else.
Near infrared light therapy is very effective for brain recovery. There are many herbs that show benefits as well (panax ginseng and green, white, black tea being obvious ones). Lions mane will surely help but it is a kappa agonist.

Today I heard the first mention of Pregnenolone outside of a "Ray Peat Source". Joe Rogan had a Dr. Mark Gordon on his podcast. Dr. Gordon is an endocrinologist who found that the levels of neurosteroids are very diminished in people who've experienced traumatic brain injuries.

After a quick search I came across several publications that seem to support his clinical experience that administration of PREG and DHEA have positive effects on these patients and often reverse the issues.

Here's a link to the podcast if anyone is interested:

He also brought up NAC being used in some military research to prevent trauma from strong blasts.

Anyone have any insight if using these hormones long after an injury can still have the same positive effects? I know Haidut is the PREG and DHEA man in these parts ;)

Those hormones remain low long after the incident so I'm sure supplementing them will help.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Here's a link to the podcast if anyone is interested:

Good find. Progesterone is actually the current darling for TBI research. Google for "progesterone TBI" and you will find multiple clinical trials. Some did not find benefit but they used oral progesterone and relatively low dose at that. Rumor is that NFL stars are popping progesterone like peanuts, to prevent/limit TBI from games. At least the ones in the know, who have a good doctor advising them.

Fractality

I occasionally played padless tackle football a decade ago (when I was 15 years old). I sustained at least one noticeable "bell ringer." I'm wondering if I would be overly vigilant if I were to supplement progesterone due to that? Also, doesn't DHEA+Pregnenolone increase progesterone? I've been supplementing those hormones off and on.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I occasionally played padless tackle football a decade ago (when I was 15 years old). I sustained at least one noticeable "bell ringer." I'm wondering if I would be overly vigilant if I were to supplement progesterone due to that? Also, doesn't DHEA+Pregnenolone increase progesterone? I've been supplementing those hormones off and on.

I think either approach would work. Pregenolone/DHEA does increase progesterone, but it also increases androgens and those androgens also have protective role. This combo is probably better for males and as a precaution. I would use progesterone in cases of confirmed TBI like in an athlete or soldier enduring a nearby blast.

johnsmith

Near infrared light therapy is very effective for brain recovery. There are many herbs that show benefits as well (panax ginseng and green, white, black tea being obvious ones). Lions mane will surely help but it is a kappa agonist.

Those hormones remain low long after the incident so I'm sure supplementing them will help.

Thanks!!! Near infrared light therapy you said. Would this simply imply shining one of those 250 watt infrared bulbs towards my head? Or is it more complicated than this? I had a good link about this that I got from Danny Roddy, but I lost it.