Pregnenolone Advice

Maisy

Hi

I've started adding 70 MG of pregnenolone daily to my diet along with niacinamide and Vit E. I chose pregnenolone as it mentions that it is the pre-cursor to other hormones and easier to get hols of than thyroid or Progest-e. Additionally, I haven't being diagnosed with thyroid problems. Main problem is getting older and heading towards menopause.

Any experiences/ tips with pregnenolone would be appreciated. I haven't noticed any benefits or problems, but have only been taking for over a week.

Thanks
Maisy

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I make sure to take mine with lots of fuel, a big glass of orange juice. And some protein.

messtafarian

I think 70mg is too much to start with. I would try between 10 - 15mg a day at first. Hormone replacement is different than vitamin supplementation-- sometimes less is more.

OP
M

Maisy

Thanks Messtafarian - I never thought of the possibility that if a high dose doesn't work a smaller one could. Will try that!

Thanks Charlie - yes have been taking with my large breakfast, so will keep doing that.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Smaller doses seem to be working well for me too. J has also been using smaller doses with success.

J

j.

My experience tells me that the ideal amount changes over time. Maybe your body will improve itself over time and you'll need less.

I started with an average of 33 mg per day, now I use 2,5 mg daily. I came to this dose just based on how I feel.

That said, there is very little scientific evidence, if any, of bad effects from high doses. If you get 1000 mg, apparently your body just doesn't use it and it doesn't do harm. So one should't be afraid to experiment with high doses, I believe. If one doesn't feel anything, I think keeping the dose is fine. Ray Peat says that 100 mg is a good starting dose.

Pregnenolone is different from all other hormones in that apparently it has no side effects regardless of the dose.

OP
M

Maisy

Thanks J, that is interesting. It seems I should try different levels then and see which works best for me. Good to know there are no ill side effects.

J

j.

Maisy said:
Thanks J, that is interesting. It seems I should try different levels then and see which works best for me. Good to know there are no ill side effects.
Although the studies concluded it's a safe substance, there are anecdotal stories of people experiencing side effects. One woman, a poster in the forum, who was taking 30 mg mentioned she grew facial hair. Just something to keep in mind.

Gabriel

How do you weigh and take the 2.5mg? I imagine that it must be really just a tiny drop.

J

j.

Gabriel said:
How do you weigh and take the 2.5mg? I imagine that it must be really just a tiny drop.
I bought a bunch of 10 mg capsules, so I'll keep using those for a while. I open the gelatin capsule, take out the powder, divide it in 4 parts, and consume it in 4 days.

himsahimsa

I bought 100mg caps on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JK ... UTF8&psc=1, because it is the best $/mg I found. I put the content of one cap in a teaspoon and top it off with sugar then dump it in a little glass and mix it. That way I can use an 1/8[sup]th[/sup] Tsp to get 12.5mg at a time. Cutting it by topping the first teaspoon and adding one more Tsp would get 6.25mg/eighth and so on. (I'm using volumetric dilution by halves.)

himsahimsa

I have come to believe that this Life Extension product, labeled as Pregnenolone 100mg, is actually DHEA not Pregnenolone. I have stopped taking it.

mas

Help me here- I use this stuff. Can you tell me why you think this product isn't genuine Pregnenolone?

Thanks,
Megin

OP
M

Maisy

Hi, yes just bought a new bottle! Why do you think that Life Extension isn't genuine Himsahimsa?
Thanks
Maisy

J

j.

I get the same effect from Life Extension as from Swanson's. If I took 1500 mg of DHEA in a day, I'm fairly confident I would've noticed something.

sladerunner69

I thing pregnenelone and its effects are highly dependent on the state of the user or their stress and hormones at the time its absorbed. There have been times where experimented with 150 mg and felt fine or better, like ti was doing its job. Then there are times where that's not the case. I recall once taking just 50 mg and feeling horrendous- I was slipping into an uncontrollable, psychotic despondency with a really strange sort of listless anxiety. Like an impossible combination of apathy and feeling a deep nothingness, being very tired, but also being alert, panicky, almost violent and unable to sleep. Truly losing my mind, but somewhat interesting in how unique and encompassing an experience it was. I woke up and didn't feel much better. It was concerning, but eventually wore off after a couple days. Needless to say I hadn't touched the stuff for a while, until I gave it another shot a few days ago. Only this time I wasn't drinking coffee, had gotten a good nights rest, and took it with plently of OJ and milk. Totally different feeling afterward. Steady, pleasant energy without a crash.

cmdshiftdel

I bought this several weeks ago, from Ark of Wellness- pure Pregnenolone powder (filler-free). I take around 310 mg once a week and I feel fabulous.

I experienced exactly what Ray Peat talks about - the facelift effect, and quite literally overnight too.

Also, virtually no PMS, cramps, headaches. I used to get extreme PMS, even with Progesterone (I don't think I was taking enough, but I really don't like the taste of Progest-e).

That being said, Ark of Wellness could do a bit better on packaging and making the powder less annoying to portion out. It's quite a hassle, but at least I only have to do it once a week. Another disconcerting thing is that the pure pregnenolone powder comes from China - which I'm not loving, but so far so good.