haidut

Forum Supporter
A few years ago, I posted a thread on the possibility of using pregnenolone as a treatment for loneliness in humans.
Pregnenolone As A Treatment For Loneliness

At the time, the studies were mostly based on animal models and a small pilot human study. It seems that the results were promising enough to launch a much bigger human trial. The trials has been going on for a year and a half at this point and by completion if would have run two full years. The daily dosage of pregnenolone used is 400mg.
Now, I am not sure if this is actually good or bad news. On one hand, I am happy to see that cheap, unpatentable tools like pregnenolone are finally starting to get the attention they deserve. Pregnenolone will likely help a lot of people that would otherwise have a very high risk of becoming suicidal. On other hand, it can easily be declared an "investigational drug" by the FDA as a result of this trial, and as such be pulled from the shelves leaving people without one of the most beneficial tools in metabolic therapy. Time will tell, but at the very least many Peatarian recommendations appear to be going mainstream.

Can a Pill Fight Loneliness? | Innovation | Smithsonian
"...But what if a medication could help assuage that fear? Could a pill make social encounters feel less threatening? That’s the focus of an ongoing clinical trial Cacioppo is overseeing. For the past year and a half—the study is scheduled to end this June—96 lonely, but otherwise healthy subjects, have been receiving 400-milligram oral doses of pregnenolone, a hormone primarily produced by the adrenal gland. It has been associated with memory enhancement, but also stress reduction. The goal of the research, according to Cacioppo, is to measure the effect of “normalizing” pregnenolone levels in the subjects. The theory is that it could help rachet down the fear that causes lonely people to keep withdrawing."

"...If the research ultimately leads to a pharmacological treatment for loneliness, it would be a timely breakthrough. Whether the cause is demographical, cultural or technological change—or more likely a combination of the three—we appear to be experiencing a loneliness epidemic. Nearly half of the 20,000 American adults who participated in a Cigna study last year reported feeling alone or left out. The potential impact on public health is sobering. Loneliness has been found to be a risk factor for cardiovascular disease and stroke. It can lower your immunity. It increases the chance of developing type 2 diabetes. It can worsen sleep habits, not to mention it can make you almost 30 percent more likely to die sooner than someone who isn’t lonely. “Loneliness is a significant risk factor for premature mortality,” says Juliane Holt-Lunstad, a psychology professor at Brigham Young University who has studied the connection between loneliness and health problems. “Given all the health complications, many people are grappling with what we can do about loneliness, and they don’t think we have a good answer at this point.”

Tenacity

I wonder if progesterone would work just as well, or if this effect is specific to pregnenolone. They make it sound as though it will be useful for social anxiety. I wonder what the mechanism is.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I wonder if progesterone would work just as well, or if this effect is specific to pregnenolone. They make it sound as though it will be useful for social anxiety. I wonder what the mechanism is.

They say the mechanism is increase in allopregnanolone, which is also mentioned in the original thread linked above. However, I would not jump to conclusions just yet. Pregnenolone is known to have its own potent effects on blocking CRH/aldosterone, and stabilizes microtubules. All of these have known positive effects on mental health and I think the microtubule effect is unique to pregnenolone, which is why a patented version was developed as an antidepressant.
3β-Methoxypregnenolone - Wikipedia

Progesterone may also have beneficial effects, but I think pregnenolone has its own unique benefits. The partial conversion of pregnenolone to androgens (which does not happen much with progesterone) should also not be ignored as a possible cause of beneficial effects.

marsaday

Isn’t 400mcg per day a lot though?

Would this amount nor cause feedback issues. Eg excess cortisol or estrogen

lampofred

Last edited:
I wonder if the research grade pregnenolone is better. Ray says pure pregnenolone has zero bad effects and I have been led to believe he bad effects from pregnenolone on the market is from diosgenin as an impurity

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Isn’t 400mcg per day a lot though?

Would this amount nor cause feedback issues. Eg excess cortisol or estrogen

It is 400mg a day and not 400mcg. No feedback issues in any human trial so far with doses as high as 500mg for several months. But when this study completes, it will be the longest running one so far (2 years) so it would be interesting to see its effects on hormones (if those are even measured).

frant26

I wonder if the research grade pregnenolone is better. Ray says pure pregnenolone has zero bad effects and I have been led to believe he bad effects from pregnenolone on the market is from diosgenin as an impurity

So does Ray believe there are no safe commercial pregnenolone products at the moment? I heard that somewhere before

So does Ray believe there are no safe commercial pregnenolone products at the moment? I heard that somewhere before
He hasn’t tested all the products, he has no comment, e just says that pure pregnenolone has absolutely no side effects even in huge doses so if there are side effects it has to be because of impurities

frant26

He hasn’t tested all the products, he has no comment, e just says that pure pregnenolone has absolutely no side effects even in huge doses so if there are side effects it has to be because of impurities

I heard he stopped taking pregnenolone because he couldn't find a good source. Might be Danny Roddy that told us, I don't recall exactly

Frankdee20

Just my feedback and it may not be very specific or relevant to the thread. When Pregnenalone worked, it had great antidepressant properties for me. I never exceeeded 50 mg a day. Depression is at the root of some of not most isolatory behaviors.

Wolf

How would one even source that much pregnenolone?
Sounds like a reason to jack prices up in the future

Makrosky

I was also puzzled about this Ray comment but the more I think about it, the more I think it is totally non sense to me. Someone should ask him for a very detailed answer.

Haidut's product is free of all toxins and he doesn't create it himself, he buys it from a retailer so IT IS possible to find pure pregnenolone. I am sure healthnatura one is pure as well.

As a said note, IIRC (Dinkov et al, 2017) says a large portion of the pregnenolone taken will go to the progesterone route ?

Last edited:

Makrosky

How would one even source that much pregnenolone?
Sounds like a reason to jack prices up in the future
Healthnatura powder. If you do the math it would cost you 15 usd per month for a whole year supply. Anyway I really think after some weeks no one will need such high doses. The researchers probavly keep it the same to keep the variable in control.

Last edited:

Jman

I was also puzzled about this Ray comment but the more I think about it, the more I think it is totally non sense to me. Someone should ask him for a very detailed answer.

Haidut's product is free of all toxins and he doesn't create it himself, he buys it from a retailer so IT IS possible to find pure pregnenolone. I am sure healthnatura one is pure as well.

As a said note, IIRC (Dinkov et al, 2017) says a large portion of the pregnenolone taken will go to the progesterone route ?

Health Naturas Pregnenolone is 99.3% pure, 0.7% "source material", it says it on the packet... If you were to take 400mg of it you would get 2.7 mg of impurity.

Ive experimented with Naturas stuff extensively, watching what happens each time I introduce it, and its always very consistent; the first day I notice a powerful sense of mental and physical resilience. If I keep taking it each day, I start to get a frequently dry mouth, swollen feeling bowels after movements, puffy face, sensitive teeth and mouth ulcers.. and the good anti fatigue, anti depressant effects then start disappearing. I mentioned it in an email to ray and he mentioned "People have told me they got bowel symptoms from the Natura brand."

@haidut , if your confident your stuff is good then please, please, please offer your Pregnenolone in plain powder form, give the people an alternative to experiment with (without having to contend with solvents).

Makrosky

Health Naturas Pregnenolone is 99.3% pure, 0.7% "source material", it says it on the packet... If you were to take 400mg of it you would get 2.7 mg of impurity.

Ive experimented with Naturas stuff extensively, watching what happens each time I introduce it, and its always very consistent; the first day I notice a powerful sense of mental and physical resilience. If I keep taking it each day, I start to get a frequently dry mouth, swollen feeling bowels after movements, puffy face, sensitive teeth and mouth ulcers.. and the good anti fatigue, anti depressant effects then start disappearing. I mentioned it in an email to ray and he mentioned "People have told me they got bowel symptoms from the Natura brand."

@haidut , if your confident your stuff is good then please, please, please offer your Pregnenolone in plain powder form, give the people an alternative to experiment with (without having to contend with solvents).
Two things :
1.- Yeah you are right. 2.7mg starts to be a bit too much... but... what is the "impurity"? Because if its derived from plant material and it is only plant matter... then I guess it is not too much problematic?
2.- Have you tried using it topically and see if you get the bad effects also ? It could be something irritating your GI tract.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

We can't sell in powder form, we are not equipped for that. It requires completely separate packaging, sealing, measuring equipment. I considered doing powders but decided against it, and considering there are other powder vendors there is not much point. I do not like price competition, I like differentiation with unique products :):

lampofred

Two things :
1.- Yeah you are right. 2.7mg starts to be a bit too much... but... what is the "impurity"? Because if its derived from plant material and it is only plant matter... then I guess it is not too much problematic?
2.- Have you tried using it topically and see if you get the bad effects also ? It could be something irritating your GI tract.

He has said all current preg products are contaminated with estrogens.

Jman

We can't sell in powder form, we are not equipped for that. It requires completely separate packaging, sealing, measuring equipment. I considered doing powders but decided against it, and considering there are other powder vendors there is not much point. I do not like price competition, I like differentiation with unique products :):

What other powder vendors?