Pregnant, Progesterone, Hyper Mobility, Good Or Bad, Need Advice

hi ,no response to my other post.I am very confused as I've allready given my daughter the progest E and I'm wondering was it the right thing to do in her situation.lot s of conflicting stories and to be honest can't really make head nor tail of the info.hypermobility is very misunderstood ,even by doctors,not much research either.As I said in first post I suspect my daughter is eostrogen dominant,and was trying to help her .Could some of the clever, scientific members ( or anyone else that has heard of this dilemma) help me with this conundrum. This link may help. Medical: HORMONAL ASPECTS OF HYPERMOBILITY

schultz

I didn't see the other post, so I am trying to figure out what's going on. From what I can gather, your daughter is pregnant, is hyper mobile and you suspect is estrogen dominant. You gave her progesterone but now you are worried. Is this true?

OP
E
Thanks for responding ,yes that's true,from what I can gather progesterone behaves differently in hypermobility especially when pregnant

schultz

Okay, I read the link. Most people, as you already suspect, confuse real progesterone with progestins. Surprisingly, I come across this a lot in journal articles.

This is from the article...

'Avoid progesterone only pills or “progesterone depo contraception preparations or … mechanical devices impregnated with progesterone.”'

The type of "progesterone" they are talking about in this sentence is medroxyprogesterone acetate, which is actually not progesterone and probably more resembles an estrogen.

Ray Peat says this about medroxyprogesterone and other progestins.

"Unfortunately, those synthetic compounds have a variety of functions unlike progesterone, including some estrogenic and/or androgenic and/or glucocorticoid and/or antiprogesterone functions, besides other special, idiosyncratic side effects. The rationale for their use was that they were "like progesterone, only better." The unpleasant and unwanted truth is that, as a group, they are seriously carcinogenic, besides being toxic in a variety of other ways. Thousands of researchers have drawn conclusions about the effects of progesterone on the basis of their experiments with a synthetic progestin."

OP
E
It's not actually the progesterone in itself ,it makes her collagen and relaxin (have no idea what that is) too lax,but I don't know if that's the true picture, some people say the opposite.

PakPik

We here aren't qualified to tell you what to do with the progesterone, but pregnancy, a healthy one, is by definition a tremendously high progesterone state (if I'm not wrong, the last trimester a woman should be producing around 400 mg of progesterone daily). A woman would never want to be low in progesterone in her pregnancy, but unfortunately I don't know how it would translate to the hypermobility and supplementation situation.
All in all, I think strategies for lowering stress hormones/inflammation (and this includes getting ample good light exposure and great sleep) and getting a nutritious and pro metabolic diet should be the foundation.
By the way, since you asked in another thread, citrus fruits are one of the best sources of folate.

Congratulations to you, I hope your daughter has a safe and healthy pregnancy :)

Last edited:

jaguar43

Ray Peat believes that estrogen promotes collagen synthesis. Therefore, when the symptoms occurring during menstruation for people who have hyper motility, it's probable due to a low progesterone. I think the article is wrong overall. Even comments on the bottom of the page seems to believe so. The progesterone the article is referring too is probably synthetic progesterone. As long your daughter is taking natural progesterone she should be fine. Ray Peat seems to think that taking progesterone early in the pregnancy helps with the symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom