Pregnancy labs hormone D and TSH

palebluedot

Hi there,

Just looking for some friendly input or advice. I've been following a basic "Peat" "pro-metabolic" lifestyle consistently for over a year before getting pregnant (19 weeks along now). Before changing my diet I knew I was a bit hypothyroid and likely had some estrogen dominance. No I did not get labs done (have been uninsured most of my adult life- sole proprietor = extremely expensive health care rates). I did track my pulses and temps, which raised to an ideal level for months before we tried to conceive (which we did first try!). Waking temps 97 - 98.8, waking pulse average 88-90. Was feeling pretty good, considering the world we're living in.

I did no labs my first trimester. Mostly I was tired and had a constant low level nausea, only vomited if I didn't eat ever 2.5-3 hrs or if I smelled my dog's raw food. I was feeling relatively good. Once my second trimester hit, and now that I'm insured through my husband's job, I agreed to do some blood work with my midwife. I realize that there are much more comprehensive tests, but I wanted a baseline. Ironically, the very evening that she took my blood I got hit with the first respiratory illness I've had since a flu in 2018. It wasn't covid, probably an allergic rhinitis/ sinus infection- massive headache and congestion and a low fever that lasted a night, congestion is still going over a week later. Brutal. So maybe the low d and higher TSH was signaling the illness before I knew anything was up? No way to tell except to draw again in a few weeks. I think I was really dehydrated too.

I have been pretty diligent with my diet- I believe adequate protein and carbs (getting close to or over 100g protein daily, and I doubt I'm not getting enough sugar), never going more than 3-4 hours without balanced meals. Liver, eggs, full fat dairy, raw honey, digestible carbs, carrot salad, ice cream. I'm taking a well rounded supplement stack, it's a bit extensive. I may list if I get time later. Very little PUFA.

I have been scared off of Vitamin D supplementation by so many talking heads... I wouldn't wan't to calcify myself and my unborn! But clearly, I need to get that level up. Full body sunbathing for at least 20 minutes each morning (perks of living rural in the high mountains of NM), among all the dietary things. I even added Rosita Cod Liver oil a few weeks ago... controversial I know.

Also, before pregnancy I was taking idea labs TyroMix and TyroMax and kenogen Progest-E pretty regularly. I stopped the thyroid when I knew I was preggers, and continued a little Progest-E for a while in the first trimester. I know no one likes to say, and I can't find anything definitive from Peat's repository here, but would it be safe to take NDT like TyroMax? I wish I had prior labs to compare, such is life.

Kind thanks! And apologies if there is somewhere better to post this?
labs.png

tankasnowgod

I have been scared off of Vitamin D supplementation by so many talking heads... I wouldn't wan't to calcify myself and my unborn!
You need to stop listening to "talking heads," and investigate the basis for their claims. There is no evidence for hypercalcimia with oral Vitamin D intakes of 20,000 IU a day or less, 20,000iu being approximated as a physiological dose. It's likely that even higher doses are fine.

This study used three adults taking from 20,000-60,000 IU of Vitamin D a day over a 2-6 year period, and none of them had calcification issues, even with blood levels as high as 225 ng/ml. One even experienced clinical improvement of his asthma. Based on other research, they think the level of 400 ng/ml is where calcification issues normally start, and even these are fairly easily reversed. Even then, it would likely take a 100,000 iu a day or more dose for several months for something like this to happen.

Their conclusion was that doses from 10,000-25,000iu should be very safe. And that's without even accounting for cofactors, like A, K2, calcium, and magnesium.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals