Precautions before a surgery with general anesthetic

Karamela

I need an advice for a close friend preparing for a minor surgery. She will have general anesthetic and I wonder how to mitigate potential negative effects of it. Are there some supplements that can be taken in advance, like the day before, or better after waking up? Any advice would be appreciated.

S-VV

One of the worst things that can happen during general is that the sedation wears off while the muscle relaxation keeps acting (if it is used). The less exotic supplements, the higher the chances of nothing bad happening. Make sure the anaesthesiologist knows about use of any GABAergic or opioid meds/supps.

Perry Staltic

IMO the most concerning thing is serotogenic complications. If she is taking antidepressants/antipsychotics that are serotogenic, or any other serotonergic med/OTC drug/supplement, and they use a serotonergic anaesthesia (like fentanyl, meperidine, oxycodone, tramadol, ketamine), the potential exists for serotonin poisoning. See tables 1 and 2 in the link below. Doctors need to be aware of any meds she takes and anesthetize accordingly.

OP
K

Karamela

She's is not taking any medicines; is quite a healthy person I would say. Which supplements would be serotonergic?

shine

She should load up her glycogen stores and eat/drink a lot of sugar. She won't be allowed to eat the evening before the surgery but she can up her carbohydrates the days prior. And afterwards sugar, B - vitamins and creatine can be beneficial.

She shouldn't take pregnenolone before the surgery, as this can block the effect of the anaesthetics.

VitoScaletta

Vitamin D is apparently very important.
Sorry for necroposting. Do you know why this is by any chance and can you say more about it please? I'm having surgery in less than 48 hours.

Should I take a megadose right now? Lol :ss

Edit: nvm youre totally correct it is very beneficial but I won't take anything as it has an anti- coagulant effect.

Last edited:

Mary Lyn

There are sites with advice for the chemically sensitive - sorry don't have one at hand. A bit of caution is a good thing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals