Pre Workout Supplement

TheHound

Has anyone tried creating their own preworkout instead of these ones on the market with a long list of nasty excipients? I was thinking of ordering some caffeine pills, beta alanine, taurine, l-citrulline, and maybe some bcaa to make one myself

mt_dreams

taking bcaa without protein already in the process of being digested will increase serotonin. Keeping with the aminos, you will increase the chance of your stomach leaking these into your body when they are in your stomach while exercising. imo it's best to ingest aminos/protein after exercising, or at least 60-90 minitues prior. I take caffeine powder/coffee, concentrated oj/sugar, and some of the b-vitamins prior to exercise, with good results. i don't take bcaa until i've started digesting some protein after exercise. I usually take some taurine 30 min after my meal prior to exercising. this meal is usually 2 hours or so prior to exercising.

If you are looking to take all those things you mentioned, buying them and mixing yourself is the ONLY option I would even consider.

PeatMonster

I have done that, but I was less consistent about taking it since I didn't get the euphoric feeling without Dymethylamylamine. I used beta-alanine, bcaas, b vitamins, creatine and caffeine, but didn't get more of a boost in the gym than caffeine alone. I guess the ideal Ray Peat pre-workout would have baking soda in it.

The primary effect of l-citruline is to raise nitric oxide.

I don't think bcaa raises serotonin in absence of other protein so much as it could lower dopamine. Maybe lower dopamine can raise serotonin and that's what mt means.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

taking bcaa without protein already in the process of being digested will increase serotonin. Keeping with the aminos, you will increase the chance of your stomach leaking these into your body when they are in your stomach while exercising. imo it's best to ingest aminos/protein after exercising, or at least 60-90 minitues prior. I take caffeine powder/coffee, concentrated oj/sugar, and some of the b-vitamins prior to exercise, with good results. i don't take bcaa until i've started digesting some protein after exercise. I usually take some taurine 30 min after my meal prior to exercising. this meal is usually 2 hours or so prior to exercising.

If you are looking to take all those things you mentioned, buying them and mixing yourself is the ONLY option I would even consider.

I usually have 12 oz of milk about 20-30 minutes before working out. I guess you think I should either have it earlier or have it after instead?

sprinter

Normally I just eat a regular meal 2 hours before gym. Then before I go to gym I open a half gallon of orange juice and throw in 5 grams of taurine, 5 grams of beta alanine, and 5 grams of bcaa's. Do you think this bad to do? I should stop using the bcaa's?

Oh and I take 400mg caffeine right before too.

mt_dreams

I usually have 12 oz of milk about 20-30 minutes before working out. I guess you think I should either have it earlier or have it after instead?

If you have been doing this for a while and have not had any stomach discomfort then you are probably not pushing yourself to the level that would make this an issue. The amino leaking is usually only an issue during endurance exercise. You may not be able to directly feel amino leaking, so if you're doing endurance I would push the milk back another 30 min or so. As for lifting, if you have no stomach discomfort, then your stomach can handle the exertion ... though this might be stressing your stomach a bit, even if major pain/throwing up is not occurring. Also keep in mind the body is sending blood & energy to the stomach to digest, so you're muscles are loosing out a tad.

Normally I just eat a regular meal 2 hours before gym. Then before I go to gym I open a half gallon of orange juice and throw in 5 grams of taurine, 5 grams of beta alanine, and 5 grams of bcaa's. Do you think this bad to do? I should stop using the bcaa's?

Oh and I take 400mg caffeine right before too.

The question is what do you get from the aminos by using them during the exercise. Read my above response to the issues of having aminos in your stomach during exercise to see if it applies. If I was doing your regimine, I would take the 5 aminos at least 20 min prior to exercising with a bit of the oj, then just sip on the oj while exercising as needed. Keep in mind that there are threads on this forum that suggest digesting individual aminos by themselves without food protein already digesting may mess with your serotonin levels. if you suspect this is an issue for you, I would take the aminos an hour after eating, so in your case it would be an hour prior to exercising.

belcanto

This is a bit tangential, but what is the safest, non-cortisol-raising form of exercise out there? Is the HIIT harmful? (Sorry, TheHound, not meaning to hijack your thread, as the information you're seeking is also helpful to me!) Thanks.

BastiFuntasty

This is a bit tangential, but what is the safest, non-cortisol-raising form of exercise out there? Is the HIIT harmful? (Sorry, TheHound, not meaning to hijack your thread, as the information you're seeking is also helpful to me!) Thanks.
If you like what you do and if you enjoy your workout, than I think there is no need to worry about cortisol.
Peaty workouts would be short ones with appropriate intensity, no sets, runs or whatever to absolute failure. Keeping lactate low would also be one of his advices.

chispas

I think 600ml of orange juice with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a bit of added sugar is highly digestible before any sort of workout.

The salt will minimise adrenaline during the exercise. Glycine is good too prior to exercise as it is anticatabolic.

If I was going to drink milk, it would be skim with added sugar. In my experience, having the milk and protein after exercise is much better. Also taurine will help with the utilisation of protein at this time, not before exercise.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals