pommegal

Hello! I would love any help please.
I am an Orthodox Christian and currently we are in Lent which means we cannot eat animal products till 4/24. Soon after that I'll be getting married on 5/15 and we do not plan on using any kind of contraception. So I wanted to know in the 3 weeks before my wedding what would be a good diet to follow to get myself the healthiest and most fertile.
FYI: I have regular periods though they are extremely pain although the last 2 cycles have been more bearable. It could be due to the fact I've been using an ayurvedic powder called Ashoka(Saraca Indica). I also have been tested several times and have high testosterone. Which causes me to be hirsute. I do not have PCOS though.
When I was 16 I went on birth control to "help balance my hormones" thankfully I suck at taking pills and they did not help so I stopped taking them. I was on it for probably no more than 6 months and that was 11 years ago.

Last edited:

dlind70

Focus on vegetable foods and some organic red rice with trace minerals foods that have red in them are good for fertility and green as well so more vegetables broths and soups. You can even make homemade soups if you have the time which don't have meat in them. Focus on green colorful foods for fertility I read some research that says green foods help with fertility so anything like celery brussel sprouts. A lot of people in America forget the other textures of foods like okra and that is also supposed to be good for fertility there is chemicals in okra that is good for getting busy if you know what I mean hopefully everything turns out well for you

B

BRBsavinWorld

Sorry to go against the grain of your traditions but, I know several orthodox people who were practicing since childhood, aka participating in lent in their formative years, and they are typically unhealthier than American counterparts. I’m sure growing up in the zero stress agrarian societies that 99% of ortho people did for the last 2000 years made it a net neutral difference, but the effects of fasting and late night parties, seems toxic, now.

What would happen if you bucked the system and just stopped fasting?

I’m Protestant, and while I have had my share of legalistically minded fasts, there’s generally a lot more personal variance and freedom to the fasting question. I’ve had to stop fasting since I did low carb a few years ago.

If you look at Jewish fasting (which we are the spiritual descendants of), they would usually fast a day, tops. And they wouldn’t do meat fasts. Exceptions were of particular leaders when Israel was literally on the brink of destruction (“Daniel fast,” prolonged fasts, etc).

If I had to suggest anything for plant based, it’d be honey, olive oil, lots of potatoes, insoluble fibers like bamboo shoots, well cooked mushrooms, OJ, grape juice, and making every concession for dairy, possible. Lol.

youngsinatra

I always read that orthodox christian are allowed to eat shellfish during lent. They are a good source of minerals that are otherwise lacking. (zinc, copper, B-vitamins)

I don‘t eat them because of heavy metal and pollution concerns, but if quality ruminant meat is not available then I‘d probably make an exception and eat it.

Gânico

The best i can think of are fruits. potatoes and some coconut oil to compensate the lack of fats, but don't expect to be peak healthy and fertile with this diet, as you will be missing lots of nutrients

OP
P

pommegal

Hi all I’m aware that this fast isn’t optimal for health. I was more so asking about what to eat in the 3 weeks before my wedding and after of course. That is a time AFTER lent meaning I can eat animal products. What are super nutritionally dense food I could eat daily to replenish my nutrient stores? I’m going to do my best not to get pregnant immediately after getting married but it’s up to God ultimately.

OP
P

pommegal

Focus on vegetable foods and some organic red rice with trace minerals foods that have red in them are good for fertility and green as well so more vegetables broths and soups. You can even make homemade soups if you have the time which don't have meat in them. Focus on green colorful foods for fertility I read some research that says green foods help with fertility so anything like celery brussel sprouts. A lot of people in America forget the other textures of foods like okra and that is also supposed to be good for fertility there is chemicals in okra that is good for getting busy if you know what I mean hopefully everything turns out well for you
Thank you! I'll keep this in mind for when I am fasting. But I was more so wondering what foods to eat after the fast?

Lollipop2

Eat TONS of ice cream and milkshakes. That will keep you healthy.

Edit: oops this may not be allowed at Lent. I am uneducated about the rules.

OP
P

pommegal

Sorry to go against the grain of your traditions but, I know several orthodox people who were practicing since childhood, aka participating in lent in their formative years, and they are typically unhealthier than American counterparts. I’m sure growing up in the zero stress agrarian societies that 99% of ortho people did for the last 2000 years made it a net neutral difference, but the effects of fasting and late night parties, seems toxic, now.

What would happen if you bucked the system and just stopped fasting?

I’m Protestant, and while I have had my share of legalistically minded fasts, there’s generally a lot more personal variance and freedom to the fasting question. I’ve had to stop fasting since I did low carb a few years ago.

If you look at Jewish fasting (which we are the spiritual descendants of), they would usually fast a day, tops. And they wouldn’t do meat fasts. Exceptions were of particular leaders when Israel was literally on the brink of destruction (“Daniel fast,” prolonged fasts, etc).

If I had to suggest anything for plant based, it’d be honey, olive oil, lots of potatoes, insoluble fibers like bamboo shoots, well cooked mushrooms, OJ, grape juice, and making every concession for dairy, possible. Lol.
Thankfully Orthodox fasting isn't legalistic its not mandatory to do it otherwise the spiritual affects would be negated if someone only did it out of obligation. Also its not recommended for pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children. And priest do sometimes give allowances for dairy and eggs during fasts, I'll ask my priest about that.
I've been eating more potatoes lately and they're super filling and guzzling orange juice. I'll try to incorporate some of the other foods you mentioned.
Ultimately, I know it will have a detrimental effect on me physically but I'm willing to pay the price for the spiritual benefits. My body will only last this lifetime and my soul is eternal.
Thank you for your response. If you have any recommendations for what to eat after the fast that will be jam packed with nutrients that would be really helpful

OP
P

pommegal

The best i can think of are fruits. potatoes and some coconut oil to compensate the lack of fats, but don't expect to be peak healthy and fertile with this diet, as you will be missing lots of nutrients
Yup I am aware that fasting leaves me depleted. I was asking about what to eat after the fast to help me replenish myself. I'll try to incorporate more coconut oil into my meals.

OP
P

pommegal

Red meat, dairy, eggs, fruits, potatoes
Thank you!! I have eaten raw liver before and I will be doing that again as well as trying to get my hands on some kidneys as well. I'm hoping eating them in their raw state will mean they've retained even more of their nutrients.

OP
P

pommegal

Eat TONS of ice cream and milkshakes. That will keep you healthy.

Edit: oops this may not be allowed at Lent. I am uneducated about the rules.
Unfortunately not allowed during the fast. BUTTTT I will be sure to do that after the fast.

B

BRBsavinWorld

Thankfully Orthodox fasting isn't legalistic its not mandatory to do it otherwise the spiritual affects would be negated if someone only did it out of obligation. Also its not recommended for pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children. And priest do sometimes give allowances for dairy and eggs during fasts, I'll ask my priest about that.
I've been eating more potatoes lately and they're super filling and guzzling orange juice. I'll try to incorporate some of the other foods you mentioned.
Ultimately, I know it will have a detrimental effect on me physically but I'm willing to pay the price for the spiritual benefits. My body will only last this lifetime and my soul is eternal.
Thank you for your response. If you have any recommendations for what to eat after the fast that will be jam packed with nutrients that would be really helpful
Awesome.

So, If you can eat dairy and shellfish during lent, you really won’t be missing anything as far as nutrition is concerned, just not as optimally as you’re already aware.

I’d say just keep enjoying the million different ways of maki n potato’s taste good with coconut oil and olive oil, and don’t hesitate to make some seafood dishes for the oysters! There’s some really good Greek seafood dishes I’m sure you could drown out the taste of oysters with! Also, Ray has been experimenting with lower protein intake lately, so other than not having red meat, you could plausibly get really close to his diet. He drinks about 2 quarts of OJ a day, and a few glasses of milk, as well as coconut oil, and he’s ok with moderate amounts of EVO oil, he just takes more vit E to compensate the pufa. Potatoes are an excellent protein source, as well, just keep the saturated fat consumption high for the starch.

OP
P

pommegal

Awesome.

So, If you can eat dairy and shellfish during lent, you really won’t be missing anything as far as nutrition is concerned, just not as optimally as you’re already aware.

I’d say just keep enjoying the million different ways of maki n potato’s taste good with coconut oil and olive oil, and don’t hesitate to make some seafood dishes for the oysters! There’s some really good Greek seafood dishes I’m sure you could drown out the taste of oysters with! Also, Ray has been experimenting with lower protein intake lately, so other than not having red meat, you could plausibly get really close to his diet. He drinks about 2 quarts of OJ a day, and a few glasses of milk, as well as coconut oil, and he’s ok with moderate amounts of EVO oil, he just takes more vit E to compensate the pufa. Potatoes are an excellent protein source, as well, just keep the saturated fat consumption high for the starch.
Thank you Mr. Baldwin! You're insights are very much appreciated and will be taken into consideration :): They'll make the fast much better.

OP
P

pommegal

+1

Plus raw carrots to keep the intestines happy.

Keep tabs on oral temperature, aiming to get it above 98.6 degrees by midday each day.
Ahh yes the almighty raw carrot. I can eat them cooked but they cause my throat to itch when I eat them raw though :-(
I will try to be consistent with checking my temps

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals