Pre Pregnancy Testing, Yes Or No?

Adnada

My partner and I will be trying to conceive this fall. We are considering getting the genetic test for cystic fibrosis. I am relatively well versed in Peat and his general thoughts on genetics vs. environment, however CF seems to be a rare truly genetic disease. I would appreciate any insight you may have!

Tansia

I'm not sure what kind of dillema do you have. Are you taking about testing you and your partner to check if you're carriers for a faulty CFTR gene? Or you consider in vitro fertilization and would like to test embryos for CF?
If you talk about carrier status then you will find out the risk in % of having a child with CF. If you want to know that information then do it.

OP
Adnada

Adnada

I am asking about testing for the carrier gene. I'm wondering if anyone has insight to how likely a carrier actually is of having a child with CF. Thanks.

Tansia

It depends if you or your partner or both carry affected gene. If both the risk of having affected child is 25%. If one of you then it's much less, less than 1% I think, but 25% chance child will also be carrier. Unless you have a CF in family the risk is quite low, but if you want to be sure you and your partner are not carriers then do the testing. It's just blood test, like any other test.