Pranarupa

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Health Discussions' started by Isadora, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Isadora

Isadora Member

Excellent collection of articles at Pranarupa's blog:

Kosmos and Chaos, Liquid Crystalline Coherence, Carcinogenesis and Its Reversal

Pranayama, Carbon Dioxide, Mitochondria, Coherent Energy Flow, Regeneration and Individuation

Rainbow worms, Electrobiology, Carbon Dioxide and the Streaming Auto Evolving Life Process

Intestinal Cleansing, Endotoxin and Metabolic Energy

Character Armour, Heart Disease, Flexibility and Fluid Energy Fields

Serotonin, Inflammation, Depression, Mitochondria, Energy and Mad Love

Now that's someone whose books I'd be happy to buy -- and read, too! :) Beautiful explorations inspired by Ray Peat's thinking, but not only... And all references are in place, a rare occurrence in today's blogging!

I'd give him a special place among the authors listed here...

2. j.

j. Guest

What you need to understand is, people don't like being called Peatards.

3. OP
    Isadora

Isadora Member

What people need to understand is, they should grow up already! :)

A Proud Peatard

4. Parsifal

Parsifal Member

5. tara

tara Member

Ta.

This struck me:
    Seems to point to one way that chronic hyperglycemia can contribute to trouble, if I'm reading it right? And that the system benefits form at least occasional lower blood sugars?

Also, I think he is saying here that endurance exercise has effects that can benefit the mitochondria?
    Can anyone comment on how these factors relate to Peat's writing?

6. pranarupa

pranarupa Member

In reference to endurance activity I'm thinking more of postural practice (yoga, qigong etc) other activities like standing and painting a canvas would also promote type 1 fibres. I think anything that intensely involves the cortex of the brain will promote type 1 muscle fibres and increase pgc1a, including various artistic activities as well as even just vigorous visualisation.

As for high glucose levels causing mitochondrial fission, this might be a problem in some one who has a low energy level with low mitochondrial mass andfunction. Someone with a higher energy level should be ok as muscle fibres dense in mitochondria will clear fatty acids from the blood and the brain and nervous system should be making use of available glucose.

7. tara

tara Member

OK, ta.

Someone who is using lots of sugar effectively will probably not have chronically high sugar levels, right? It's the one who is not using lots sugar well that is more likely to have chronic excessive high sugar levels?
    This seems to be an area of significant uncertainty in how to approach it - lots of people, esp. ex low carbers or low calorie dieters seem to have some trouble adapting to higher sugar intake. But teh alternative, of continuing to restrict carbs, can just perpetuate the problems. I seems unclear whether a rapid switch to high carbs is a good way to promote recovery of sugar handling, or whether a slower transition is likely to be more successful. I wonder which method is most likeley to support the mitochondrai best. (Maybe the answer will vary from person to person.) This part of your article seemed related.

BTW, I've really appreciated reading the posts on your blog. Thanks.

8. zooma

zooma Member

Is the increased mitochondrial density one of the advantages of favouring fat over sugar, or is it not as simple as that?

9. pranarupa

pranarupa Member

I don't think micro-managing macronutrients is the most effective approach. I think engaging in activities which encourage the organism to reorganise at a higher energy level will give greater results than rearranging ratios of carbohydrate and fat.
    Ideally the activities should be in some sense stimulating and also challenging. Function generates structure, activity stimulates mitochondrial biogenesis.

Though there are some substances that do seem especially beneficial, sodium butyrate appears to increase pgc1a and increase type 1 muscle fibres.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25559882

10. lollipop

lollipop Guest

This why yoga or the like helps so much. TOTALLY reorganizes the system at a higher energy level @pranarupa - my 30+ years of practice can attest to that :):

11. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Aren't yoga benefits a form of hormesis? The poses are pretty stressful to hold at first...

12. lollipop

lollipop Guest

Maybe for a brief time at the beginning @Such_Saturation - just after marrying started training my husband to his tiny bit of painful chagrin - lol - but quickly moved him past that point (within a week of daily, gradual).

Actually this concept always amazed me in yoga: the razor edge you walk on in yoga - too much and fall off, too little and nothing moves...there is a delicate balance...that reorganization into higher expression...

13. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Hmmm this could point to a deeper mechanism...

14. Makrosky

Makrosky Member

Yes I think we continually overestimate micromanagement and underestimate external world activities. I liked the way you puted it "Function generates structure".

15. jaa

jaa Member

So is reading if you've gone your whole life without it.

The reason I do yoga and similar exercises is to improve my posture and restore my natural range of motion and strength that has been decimated by modern life (i.e. sitting at a desk throughout school and work career). Yoga is like any strength training, but it targets postural muscles more than typical exercising. I've found the stronger those muscles get, the more naturally everything else just rests on my frame, and the more at ease I feel.

I'm with @lisaferraro, it's a bit of a delicate balance between too much stress and too little with regards to the poses. Too much and you risk over stretching, particularly when your strength is near failure. Too little, and you're wasting your time. I tend to err on the side of too much, a common problem in today's society.

16. Waynish

Waynish Member

What happened to this guy? Anyone know why he deleted his blog instead of at least leaving it online?

17. Parsifal

Parsifal Member

I think he did it once in the past, hope he will come back.

18. ken

ken Member

Here is the last iteration of his website.

Attached Files:

19. Sucrates

Sucrates Member

20. Kyle M

Kyle M Member

He said that he got insecure about it or something and didn't want it up anymore.