Pranarupa Bats And Bioenergetics

Drareg

Another great article from Pranarupa.

This is a great quote.
"I think based on Ray Peat’s work that carbon dioxide might be a bio-electric doping agent increasing the conductivity of proteins and coherence of the organism, so playing a role in increasing subtle sensitivity".

Pointless

You know if you take all of the "receptors" and membranes and DNA and molecules and arrange them in just the right way, all you have is a corpse. It's energy that makes us alive.

Maybe that's obvious, lol, but that's what I thought as I read this.

L

lollipop

WoW...great read @jaa thanks for posting! I only joined the forum one year ago. Whoa...just discovered his blog - good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

snowboard111

"I think based on Ray Peat’s work that carbon dioxide might be a bio-electric doping agent increasing the conductivity of proteins and coherence of the organism, so playing a role in increasing subtle sensitivity".

I've been taking a lot about this lately and maybe I'm dumb or crazy but I think CO2 is the energy we exude and exchange with our direct environment and with other peoples as well... I haven't met a single person that is a little bit in tune with themselves that can't feel different energy given different context (room, peoples, etc). Go meet some sick people and most of them will drain your energy not because they are a burden but because if they're sick they don't produce as much CO2 as a healthy person..

Anyway, I guess most of you get the point and I don't see how it would be too far fetched :bag: If CO2 produce coherence within ourselves why it wouldn't produce it between different people as well

Makrosky

WoW...great read @jaa thanks for posting! I only joined the forum one year ago. Whoa...just discovered his blog - good stuff.

What do you think about Pranayama breathing techniques that are contrary to RP's beliefs ? I'm thinking about rapid breathing and stuff... it's opposite to buteyko, bag breathing, etc. And they are used in Yoga. For example in kundalini yoga they use them a lot. Agni Prasana, Kapalabhati, etc.

How can this benefit a Yoga practitioner if we look at them under the Peat prism ?

Last edited:
L

lollipop

What do you think about Pranayama breathing techniques that are contrary to RP's beliefs ? I'm thinking about rapid breathing and stuff... it's opposite to buteyko, bag breathing, etc. And they are used in Yoga. For example in kundalini yoga they use them a lot. Agni Prasana, Kapalabhati, etc.

How can this benefit a Yoga practitioner if we look at them under the Peat prism ?
Hi @Makrosky! I noticed you asked Pranrupa on the blog itself.

As for my response - I do not practice those Pranayamas. They can be dangerous in the hands of the unskilled and frankly if truth be told, they are not necessary! You can achieve powerful results from more simple Pranayamas like Ujjaii and Viloma which are in line with buteyko and bag breathing.

Makrosky

Hi @Makrosky! I noticed you asked Pranrupa on the blog itself.

As for my response - I do not practice those Pranayamas. They can be dangerous in the hands of the unskilled and frankly if truth be told, they are not necessary! You can achieve powerful results from more simple Pranayamas like Ujjaii and Viloma which are in line with buteyko and bag breathing.

Really ? I didn't see my question posted and I thought there was a problem with the blog. ok.

But there must be an explanation on why those breathing techniques exist and are used and are considered necessary and positive for certain yogic practices.

I don't like to discard everything that goes against Peat and reinforce his ideas only with what suits his model of the organism.

L

lollipop

Really ? I didn't see my question posted and I thought there was a problem with the blog. ok.

But there must be an explanation on why those breathing techniques exist and are used and are considered necessary and positive for certain yogic practices.

I don't like to discard everything that goes against Peat and reinforce his ideas only with what suits his model of the organism.
I have never discarded ANYTHING in Yoga because of Ray Peat...I lived in India for 12 years and studied yoga directly with B.K.S. Iyengar. I taught yoga, pranayama, dhyana all over India as a service.

My choice is from direct experience and practice, not to mention I met people who developed mental problems from wrong pranayama. It is a fire and not to be played with unless highly skilled.

Makrosky

I have never discarded ANYTHING in Yoga because of Ray Peat...I lived in India for 12 years and studied yoga directly with B.K.S. Iyengar. I taught yoga, pranayama, dhyana all over India as a service.

My choice is from direct experience and practice, not to mention I met people who developed mental problems from wrong pranayama. It is a fire and not to be played with unless highly skilled.

Sorry lisa, maybe my words sound harsh or you misunderstood me. What I mean is ... how is it possible that these hyperventilating techniques have been used for hundreds (or thousands) of years if they're supposedly bad for metabolism ? No matter if you're highly skilled or not, lots of yogies benefit from them, so there must be something good with hyperventilating.

I don't know if it's the combination of hyperventilation/hypoventilation that creates balance and the later fixes the possible damage from the former, but there must be something to them that we (or Ray) doesn't know.

L

lollipop

Sorry lisa, maybe my words sound harsh or you misunderstood me. What I mean is ... how is it possible that these hyperventilating techniques have been used for hundreds (or thousands) of years if they're supposedly bad for metabolism ? No matter if you're highly skilled or not, lots of yogies benefit from them, so there must be something good with hyperventilating.

I don't know if it's the combination of hyperventilation/hypoventilation that creates balance and the later fixes the possible damage from the former, but there must be something to them that we (or Ray) doesn't know.
Thank you @Makrosky now I am understanding what you are asking...

Complex topic and hard to type out in between my clients :):

Simple version: It creates heat (often intense heat) which can indicate perhaps a temporary increased metabolism? Also the heat allowed ancient yogis to practice when it was cold. The problem is if done incorrectly damages the heart which points to a stress response. This breath would surely not be only one pranayama practiced during a session. Other cooling Pranayamas usually accompany the hyperventilation/heat. Your idea about balancing factor is spot on.

I also question how much benefit this breath really is. Maybe the benefit is coming from an overall balanced yoga practice?

tara

What do you think about Pranayama breathing techniques that are contrary to RP's beliefs ? I'm thinking about rapid breathing and stuff... it's opposite to buteyko, bag breathing, etc. And they are used in Yoga.

But I once did a yoga-related course that included some rapid breathing practice. My impression was that even though it was very fast, it was also very shallow. So a lot of the in and out flow to the lungs was rebreathing from the nasal passage down, and the overall effect may well have been to reduce the overall gas exchange compared with my personal default breathing. There was another exercise that I skipped because I was pretty sure it would give me hyperventilation trouble. (And the instructors advised anyone with high blood-pressure or heart trouble to skip this too.)

Makrosky

But I once did a yoga-related course that included some rapid breathing practice. My impression was that even though it was very fast, it was also very shallow. So a lot of the in and out flow to the lungs was rebreathing from the nasal passage down, and the overall effect may well have been to reduce the overall gas exchange compared with my personal default breathing. There was another exercise that I skipped because I was pretty sure it would give me hyperventilation trouble. (And the instructors advised anyone with high blood-pressure or heart trouble to skip this too.)
Interesting tara... thanks!

And thanks @lisaferraro

Sunrise

Thank you @Makrosky now I am understanding what you are asking...

Complex topic and hard to type out in between my clients :):

Simple version: It creates heat (often intense heat) which can indicate perhaps a temporary increased metabolism? Also the heat allowed ancient yogis to practice when it was cold. The problem is if done incorrectly damages the heart which points to a stress response. This breath would surely not be only one pranayama practiced during a session. Other cooling Pranayamas usually accompany the hyperventilation/heat. Your idea about balancing factor is spot on.

I also question how much benefit this breath really is. Maybe the benefit is coming from an overall balanced yoga practice?

which are.iyengar ways of.decreasing histamines, serotonin , and.increasing progesterone? (Taking into account her daughter's extreme water retention).