Power Posing: Brief Nonverbal Displays Affect Neuroendocrine Levels And Risk Tolerance

paymanz

Power posing: brief nonverbal displays affect neuroendocrine levels and risk tolerance. - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract

Humans and other animals express power through open, expansive postures, and they express powerlessness through closed, contractive postures. But can these postures actually cause power? The results of this study confirmed our prediction that posing in high-power nonverbal displays (as opposed to low-power nonverbal displays) would cause neuroendocrine and behavioral changes for both male and female participants: High-power posers experienced elevations in testosterone, decreases in cortisol, and increased feelings of power and tolerance for risk; low-power posers exhibited the opposite pattern. In short, posing in displays of power caused advantaged and adaptive psychological, physiological, and behavioral changes, and these findings suggest that embodiment extends beyond mere thinking and feeling, to physiology and subsequent behavioral choices. That a person can, by assuming two simple 1-min poses, embody power and instantly become more powerful has real-world, actionable implications.

Giraffe

I have linked a TED Talks video with Amy Cuddy (one of the researchers) a while ago. It is very entertaining to watch.

(Don't know why it is subtitled now. It was not when I last watched it.)

Mufasa

[moderator edit: threads merged]

It's quite incredible how just changing your posture can change your hormone levels in only 2 min:

VarBrHj.jpg

qcx8lAk.png

Here is the original study:

http://www.people.hbs.edu/acuddy/in press, carney, cuddy, & yap, psych science.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Drareg

We are fluid dynamic ever changing crystal.

Catching yourself with one of these postures then would possibly indicate potential biological state in that moment, like after a crazy day at work.

TheHound

We are fluid dynamic ever changing crystal.

Catching yourself with one of these postures then would possibly indicate potential biological state in that moment, like after a crazy day at work.

wat

Drareg

It was Mae Wan Ho analogy for how we are constantly sensing and changing accordingly at a cellular level.
When the water is structured it takes a crystaline gel like state, I think that's what she said.

pepsi

I tried this for 2 minutes and I dont feel any different.

Does it have to be done in front of other people to work?

Philomath

Almost all of the low power postures are sitting. I've found that my heart beat can vary 10 to 20 bpm between standing and sitting. I think standing raises metabolism and energy. Apple Watch is great for tracking the minute by minute

NathanK

This has been a part of my work the past 10+ years. Being a Harvard psychologist, I was happy she spoke because she gave clinical credence to what I have been doing to help change hundreds or thousands of men's lives around the globe. What she does is child's play in comparison (im not trying to be mean) since she is restricted to the narrow parameters of clinical studies. I dont have labs to back up the hormonal changes, but the real life mood and long term positive behavioral results are without question.

Mufasa

This has been a part of my work the past 10+ years. Being a Harvard psychologist, I was happy she spoke because she gave clinical credence to what I have been doing to help change hundreds or thousands of men's lives around the globe. What she does is child's play in comparison (im not trying to be mean) since she is restricted to the narrow parameters of clinical studies. I dont have labs to back up the hormonal changes, but the real life mood and long term positive behavioral results are without question.

Intetesting, so what postures do you teach?

Im sure there is something to posture, and I think they work in a positive feedback loop.

NathanK

Intetesting, so what postures do you teach?

Im sure there is something to posture, and I think they work in a positive feedback loop.
It's a lot more than just postures but in how people move and react to stresses through all outward expressions of verbal and nonverbal communication. Particular postures are static. Think of them as quick hits of feeling good.

My work is in the dynamic and what physical responses people have to perceived stresses. You can take any physical attribute from eye contact, body posture (in any circumstance), vocal resonance (loud and clear), leading movements, gestures, etc to increase confidence and strength.

Many would consider these "high testosterone" behaviors, but that is overly simplistic. It shakes people out of learned helplessness behavior/hypnotic day-to-day redundancy that they reinforce in themselves, without knowledge, on a daily basis.

The feedback loop is how people's physiology can change their psychology and vice versa. A negative mood with drag on your physicality and a poor body will drag on your mentality. It can be a viscious, and sometimes lifelong, downward spiral. The answer is much the same as Ray says about learned helplessness. Often it takes a radical shift in perspective. Fortunately, there's a lot of ways to skin this cat without having to move to a far away, sunny, high altitude, and abundant fruit bearing land. :raypeatcoffee

L

lollipop

It's a lot more than just postures but in how people move and react to stresses through all outward expressions of verbal and nonverbal communication. Particular postures are static. Think of them as quick hits of feeling good.

My work is in the dynamic and what physical responses people have to perceived stresses. You can take any physical attribute from eye contact, body posture (in any circumstance), vocal resonance (loud and clear), leading movements, gestures, etc to increase confidence and strength.

Many would consider these "high testosterone" behaviors, but that is overly simplistic. It shakes people out of learned helplessness behavior/hypnotic day-to-day redundancy that they reinforce in themselves, without knowledge, on a daily basis.

The feedback loop is how people's physiology can change their psychology and vice versa. A negative mood with drag on your physicality and a poor body will drag on your mentality. It can be a viscious, and sometimes lifelong, downward spiral. The answer is much the same as Ray says about learned helplessness. Often it takes a radical shift in perspective. Fortunately, there's a lot of ways to skin this cat without having to move to a far away, sunny, high altitude, and abundant fruit bearing land. :raypeatcoffee
This is extremely interesting to me @NathanK!! Have you written any articles or books I can learn more or reference? At first glance, your work might reinforce and support my work.

NathanK

This is extremely interesting to me @NathanK!! Have you written any articles or books I can learn more or reference? At first glance, your work might reinforce and support my work.
Hi thank you. Unfortunately, I have been fighting a non compete contract with my former company and have not been able to publish all of my latest work from the past few years. I have loads of videos, speeches, and writing that has been locked away in a vault. Some of my older work from the 2000's is out there and I think one documentary will be on Showtime fairly soon after post production is fiiinally over, but those do not directly pertain to the stuff I mentioned. My work has evolved exponentially over the years, so I think it will surprise a lot of people who have known me

L

lollipop

Hi thank you. Unfortunately, I have been fighting a non compete contract with my former company and have not been able to publish all of my latest work from the past few years. I have loads of videos, speeches, and writing that has been locked away in a vault. Some of my older work from the 2000's is out there and I think one documentary will be on Showtime fairly soon after post production is fiiinally over, but those do not directly pertain to the stuff I mentioned. My work has evolved exponentially over the years, so I think it will surprise a lot of people who have known me
Must be frustrating! When that comes available, would you come back and post on this thread OR DM me on how to connect with your work? Much appreciated!

Peata

So do you think the postures like she describes are helpful to lift mood, confidence, etc? And do you believe in "fake it til you make it", where you behave as though you are confident and it will eventually become a part of you?

BibleBeliever

I wonder if they have done any research on battle cries and testosterone:

Just do it with arms out and head up for maximum testosterone boost.

Back
Top Bottom