Powders/Pills from Amazon & co - Your experiences?

MarcelZD

I would frequently buy bulk powders and pills from amazon and other onlineshops to save some money vs. the pricier pharmacy brands.

The problem is that there is zero control for quality or even lab analyses that would show the actual content of the product. I suspect that many of the powders I have bought didn't actually contain the active ingredient. This isn't the case with the expensive brands such as Thorne and others. What are your experiences with this?

A

Adf

I saw a video a while back, unfortunately I can't remember who it was, said that you should be careful if you buy supplements on Amazon or Ebay. It was said that many sellers quite literally completely rip off the entire name and package of a good brand's product and sell cheap/fake stuff in it. They use bots to create 5 star reviews that make it look legit. And they said there are so many sellers that do this that you can never know if you are getting the real product, unless the seller is provably the actual company of the Supplement selling it. I believe they were a supplement seller themselves, and had personal experience with this, finding their product with identical packaging and name, being sold by other sellers and when testing that product it was bunk crap.

I'm not sure how true or to what extent, if it's overexaggerated a lot, but I am weary about purchasing from there now. There are some good or decent cheap alternatives to pharmacies like Bulk Supplements or Bulk Nutrients if in Australia though.

OP
M

MarcelZD

I saw a video a while back, unfortunately I can't remember who it was, said that you should be careful if you buy supplements on Amazon or Ebay. It was said that many sellers quite literally completely rip off the entire name and package of a good brand's product and sell cheap/fake stuff in it. They use bots to create 5 star reviews that make it look legit. And they said there are so many sellers that do this that you can never know if you are getting the real product, unless the seller is provably the actual company of the Supplement selling it. I believe they were a supplement seller themselves, and had personal experience with this, finding their product with identical packaging and name, being sold by other sellers and when testing that product it was bunk crap.

I'm not sure how true or to what extent, if it's overexaggerated a lot, but I am weary about purchasing from there now. There are some good or decent cheap alternatives to pharmacies like Bulk Supplements or Bulk Nutrients if in Australia though.

Thanks a lot for this post. This is very concerning, but I am not surprised either.

There is probably a lot of money to be made in selling fake or at least stretched powders and such, especially with the pricier supplements. I have personally been a bit naive about this until I noticed that some of the cheap bulk powders don't seem to work as well as the equivalent supplements from reputable brands.

I'm.No.One

Amazon is just a sales platform, saying none are certified/inspected is a really broad stroke to take.

It's just important to individually research any brand/company you're going to purchase from, regardless of what website platform you buy it off of.

As far as rip offs, make sure you buy directly from the brands Amazon page. Not a re-seller.

B

Blaze

I would frequently buy bulk powders and pills from amazon and other onlineshops to save some money vs. the pricier pharmacy brands.

The problem is that there is zero control for quality or even lab analyses that would show the actual content of the product. I suspect that many of the powders I have bought didn't actually contain the active ingredient. This isn't the case with the expensive brands such as Thorne and others. What are your experiences with this?
Suspicious supplements have been randomly selected and been tested by High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) in labs, using validated methods. HPLC is considered by some to be one of the the best test methods for certain materials

Some products, contained far below or none the claimed amount, It's getting hard to know what you are really buying with all the fraudulent behavior now being manifest.

peateats1

I go two cans of great lakes gelatin off of amazon a few years ago and both reeked of chlorine really bad. I threw those out and bought one from a local store, and it had no smell to it at all. Ever since then I haven't bought anything off of Amazon. I don't trust them.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals