Powdered / Condensed milk

pboy

Sorry if this has been answered on the forum but I couldn't find anything on it. Anyone know what Peat thinks about using powdered or condensed milk (of decent quality) with no fillers/gums? I've had trouble with dairy for years, but want to try to reintroduce it into my diet, and was thinking adding some powdered or condensed milk to coffee might be a good way to start. Also, it just seems like a convenient option. Wondering if anyone uses powdered or condensed milk, their experience, and maybe what Peat has said about it. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to dairy food. Also any tips on a good way to reintroduce dairy into my diet would be appreciated (symptoms I get are basically gas and bloating, and sometimes acne)

4peatssake

pboy said:
Sorry if this has been answered on the forum but I couldn't find anything on it. Anyone know what Peat thinks about using powdered or condensed milk (of decent quality) with no fillers/gums? I've had trouble with dairy for years, but want to try to reintroduce it into my diet, and was thinking adding some powdered or condensed milk to coffee might be a good way to start. Also, it just seems like a convenient option. Wondering if anyone uses powdered or condensed milk, their experience, and maybe what Peat has said about it. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to dairy food. Also any tips on a good way to reintroduce dairy into my diet would be appreciated (symptoms I get are basically gas and bloating, and sometimes acne)

Hey pboy,

I couldn't find anything specific to RP but did find this is a recipe from Jeanne Rubin here http://eastwesthealing.com/homemad-sweetened-condensed-milk/

Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk: (Yields:2/3 cup)

A great alternative to cream and sugar in your morning coffee! Substitute for canned, condensed milk.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 T great lakes gelatin hydrolysate
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
3 T butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Mix milk and gelatin together in a heavy-bottomed saucepan., then add the sugar. Stirring often, bring to a low simmer over medium-low heat. As soon as steam starts lifting off the milk, lower the heat even further. When the sugar is entirely dissolved, put the heat as low as it can go.
Reduce by half (could take up to 2 hours), stirring once in a while.
Once reduced, add the butter and vanilla extract.Let it cool.
Will keep for a few days or freeze for future use.

1 Serving: 1 Tbl.
Calories: 95.3
Protein: 2.4 grams
Carbs: 11.3 grams
Fats: 5 grams

4peatssake

I forgot to mention.

You've probably already read his article on the dangers of carrageenans and I'm thinking that one can perhaps infer that if he is good with cream without carrageenans, then he'd likely be OK with sweetened condensed milk, provided it too was free of gums etc. or homemade like Jeanne's recipe.

Ray Peat said:
Years ago, I noticed that Oregon was one of the few states that still had real whipping cream and cottage cheese without additives, so I have been trustingly using cream in my coffee every day.

http://raypeat.com/articles/nutrition/carrageenan.shtml

chris

"It's not as good as fresh milk, or cheese, but when they aren't available, 100 grams (or more) would be a good addition to the diet, because of the high ratio of calcium to phosphate, as well as other nutrients." RP

4peatssake

chris said:
"It's not as good as fresh milk, or cheese, but when they aren't available, 100 grams (or more) would be a good addition to the diet, because of the high ratio of calcium to phosphate, as well as other nutrients." RP

Is RP referring to powdered or condensed milk here, Chris?

chris

4peatssake said:
chris said:

Powdered.

OP
P

pboy

chris said:
4peatssake said:
chris said:

Powdered.

Thanks much Chris
100g of powdered skim milk equates to about 105% calcium, 31g protein (about 3.5cups of milk). Avoiding PUFA's and other plant toxins have made it very hard for me to get enough protein and calcium without milk...ill probably give it a go next time I go to the store and see what happens

chris

I wanted to use skim milk powder but the added A and D vitamins put me off. Does anyone know if these are an issue, providing they don't cause issues?

Birdie

Chris - If they don't cause a problem for you, they are okay. However, Organic Valley's Nonfat dry milk doesn't list any added vitamins on the label. I sometimes use this one.