Povidone Iodine In DMSO Solution Is A Highly Effective Antimicrobial

bobbity

I thought I would share my success with a 1-2% solution of povidone iodine in DMSO for the treatment of a number of stubborn conditions. In my own experience it quickly resolved a case of paronychia, tinea versicolour, plantar warts and a fungal nail.

There are a number of studies which indicate the usefulness of this solution,

Onychomycosis treated with a dilute povidone–iodine/dimethyl sulfoxide preparation
Onychomycosis treated with a dilute povidone–iodine/dimethyl sulfoxide preparation

Chemotherapy-associated paronychia treated with 2% povidone–iodine: a series of cases
Chemotherapy-associated paronychia treated with 2% povidone–iodine: a series of cases

A Novel Topical 2% Povidone–Iodine Solution for the Treatment of Common Warts
A Novel Topical 2% Povidone–Iodine Solution for the Treatment of Common Warts: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Vehicle-Controlled Trial.

rei

I would speculate DMSO+lugol's would be better because the artificial part (povidone) is not absorbed. Straight topical iodine was as effective as all fungal creams i ever tried for athlete's foot and DMSO will get it into the body.

Last edited:

BearWithMe

I would speculate DMSO+lugol's would be better because the artificial part (povidone) is not absorbed. Straight topical iodine was as effective as all fungal creams i ever tried for athlete's foot and DMSO will get it into the body.
This. I think lugol's would be even more effective.

jmojo

Chris Masterjohn has recently been all about povidone-iodine as a means to fight Covid-19 via nasal irrigation, rinsing, and gargling with 0.5% povidone-iodine.

He claims the following when comparing to Lugol's:

Lugol's solution contais a mix of potassium iodide and molecular iodine, freely dissolved in water without any binders. Povidone acts as a binder, and allows a small amount of iodine to be free at any given moment. It was invented to achieve the well established antimicrobial effects of iodine with less of a risk of skin irritation.

In the original patent, it was observed that Lugol's was only effective against S. aureus when diluted down to 4%, while povidone-iodine was effective down to 0.33%. Because povidone binds iodine, it also leads to a lower proportion of the iodine entering the circulation.

It's possible that Lugol's would lead to greater systemic iodine exposure (which could be desirable for some people and undesirable for others) both because it is more freely available and because higher concentrations might be needed.

However, it doesn't follow that the relative efficacy of the two products would be the same for SARS-CoV-2 as observed for S. aureus. There is no way to know the concentration of Lugol's required without it being directly tested.

Would it be effective? Probably. It's just unclear how much would be required compared to povidone-iodine.

BearWithMe

Chris Masterjohn has recently been all about povidone-iodine as a means to fight Covid-19 via nasal irrigation, rinsing, and gargling with 0.5% povidone-iodine.

Lugol's solution contais a mix of potassium iodide and molecular iodine, freely dissolved in water without any binders. Povidone acts as a binder, and allows a small amount of iodine to be free at any given moment. It was invented to achieve the well established antimicrobial effects of iodine with less of a risk of skin irritation.

In the original patent, it was observed that Lugol's was only effective against S. aureus when diluted down to 4%, while povidone-iodine was effective down to 0.33%. Because povidone binds iodine, it also leads to a lower proportion of the iodine entering the circulation.

It's possible that Lugol's would lead to greater systemic iodine exposure (which could be desirable for some people and undesirable for others) both because it is more freely available and because higher concentrations might be needed.

However, it doesn't follow that the relative efficacy of the two products would be the same for SARS-CoV-2 as observed for S. aureus. There is no way to know the concentration of Lugol's required without it being directly tested.

Would it be effective? Probably. It's just unclear how much would be required compared to povidone-iodine.
This is really interesting, thanks for sharing!!

OP
B

bobbity

I have actually formulated solutions with lugols and it did produce some unpleasant effects, staining & hardening of the skin. I certainly didn't find it superior in terms of efficacy.

yerrag

How much DMSO do you guys use in terms of dilution?

I want to try adding Dmso to Lugol's 2% and see if it would work better on getting rid of keloids. I didn't see any effect when just using Lugol's.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals