Potential role of sugar (fructose) in the epidemic of hypertension, obesity and the metabolic syndro

tara

Re: Potential role of sugar (fructose) in the epidemic of hypertension, obesity and the metabolic syndrome, diabetes, ki

I did not read this or the other study, but if you did, can you say whether they controlled for PUFA consumption?

BingDing

Re: Potential role of sugar (fructose) in the epidemic of hypertension, obesity and the metabolic syndrome, diabetes, ki

Barb, you can find a thousand studies like those you've posted. Hell, there are whole research institutes dedicated to proving sugar is the root of all evil. But they are all in the context of a SAD diet and they are all off the mark because of that. It is the SAD diet itself that is unhealthy, except for the sugar, ironically enough. It is a given that in the context of Peat's overall advice, fruit sugar is the best carb and is perfectly healthy. There are many threads about it on the forum.

nikotrope

In the context of the SAD diet I don't think the sugar is healthy because as you are loaded in PUFA and consume lots of PUFA with every meal, your body will not burn sugar correctly and will produce lactic acid instead of CO2. No PUFA = No problems.

jyb

No, they don't control for pufa. However their intuition for blaming fructose comes come the fact that the *overall* fat has decreased and fructose increased, while obesity rates increased. I think its safe to say that the ratio of pufa to sat fat increased a lot, even if the total fat amount decreased.

jaa

Isn't this more a problem of a high calories:nutrition ratio?

Consuming excess energy is known to cause those health problems. Lots of junk has added sugar. People who eat that stuff tend to have poor diets. They consume excess calories without getting adequate nutrition and end up hungry all the time. I think added sugar can be used as a supplement, but too much can't be a good thing.

That's the model I have in my head. Some one kindly point out if it's flawed.

Raypmom

jaa said:
Isn't this more a problem of a high calories:nutrition ratio?

Consuming excess energy is known to cause those health problems. Lots of junk has added sugar. People who eat that stuff tend to have poor diets. They consume excess calories without getting adequate nutrition and end up hungry all the time. I think added sugar can be used as a supplement, but too much can't be a good thing.

That's the model I have in my head. Some one kindly point out if it's flawed.

There is no need to provide scientific information or data to in order to understand that some nutritionally devoid (sugar) refined and unrefined, organic or non should be limited in consumption! Sugar should be added in coffee by the teaspoon not by TABLESPOON because your tastebuds love it or your "intelligent" brain tells you to whether or not you have access to fruit or not. Sugar is not your friend. I'm worried that about 80% percent of raypeat forum members have fatty livers and don't even suspect it from all this sugar (not fruit) consumption. My opinion.

Sheesh

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals