Potatoes cholinergic?

Judd Crane

Alkaloids in potatoes are known inhibitors of the acetylcholinesterase enzyme. Has anyone felt cholinergic effects from eating a lot of potatoes? I've been thinking about including potatoes in my diet, but get depressed from too much acetylcholine.

dukesbobby777

Not really, no. If you eat potatoes and compare it to something like CDP choline or anything else similar, there isn’t anything to compare. Not from what I’ve noticed anyway.

I get the other negative effects from potatoes. Blood sugar problems that follow its consumption, and endotoxin effects. Not to mention it’s possibly allergenic for some (nightshade), and contains other toxins. They’re also sufficiently sprayed in pesticides (which might increase acetylcholine too), unless you can get them truly organic.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Glycoalkaloids are found throughout the potato tubers, but concentrate in the sprouts, peel and the area around the potato ‘eyes' (Figure 2). In normal tubers, glycoalkaloids are concentrated in a small 1.5 mm layer immediately under the skin (i.e. 30 to 80% of the glycoalkaloids are found in the outer peel). According to a study conducted by the CFS in 2007, the glycoalkaloid content (alpha-solanine and alpha-chaconine) of five cultivars of tubers available in the Hong Kong market ranged from 26 to 88 mg/kg fresh weight. While glycoalkaloids were below 10 mg/kg in the flesh of these potatoes, glycoalkaloids in the peel varied between 90 and 400 mg/kg. Peeling of potatoes will greatly reduce the levels of glycoalkaloids present.