Potato Water Uses?

Yonebayashian

I just boiled some potatoes and I'm wondering if there are any uses for the water I boiled them in. I don't want to toss it out because I feel like there are a lot of nutrients in the water and I don't feel like straight drinking it either.

I am considering letting oatmeal to soak in it for 24 hours and then letting the oats absorb up all the water as I cook them.

VitoScaletta

Seems pointless being honest. Potatoes don't have that high amounts of minerals, and the water soluble vitamins would get destroyed in the cooking process, especially ones which are out of the potato (sounds logical to me at least)
You could boil green leafy vegetables like Swiss Chard, Kale for 30 minutes, toss the leaves and drink the water, supposedly it'll be high in Magnesium and Calcium.

OP
Yonebayashian

Yonebayashian

I'm skeptical of your reply because potatoes are well known for their high nutrient content. You can literally survive on just potatoes for a long time before facing malnutrition and if you add in some butter you can basically avoid malnutrition. There is a long history of prisons that only fed their inmates potatoes without them suffering from the diet and many communities that largely ate just potatoes with great vigor.

VitoScaletta

I'm skeptical of your reply because potatoes are well known for their high nutrient content. You can literally survive on just potatoes for a long time before facing malnutrition and if you add in some butter you can basically avoid malnutrition. There is a long history of prisons that only fed their inmates potatoes without them suffering from the diet and many communities that largely ate just potatoes with great vigor.
They don't have a particularly high nutrient content, just everything you need to survive besides B12.
If you're looking for nutritional value the water won't be of much use to meeting whatever nutritional intake goals you have set in mind. At most the water would've leached like 50mg of Potassium, lol...

There are other much more nutrient dense foods. Even if you just dislike being wasteful I wouldn't say it's particularly worth it utilising that water

Ben.

I think alot of the antinutrients ends up in the boiling water like Solanine (especially if cooked with skin).

The Potatoe juice is apparantly where the magic happense however. Great proteins and great for digestive issues apparantly. Horrible to prepare tho.

BibleBeliever

Potatoes are very rich in nutrients, the most elite of all vegetables.
Why not consume the water with the potatoes and create some form of soup.
Cooking them in an instapot helps retain many of the nutrients too.

akgrrrl

Put it in the fridge in a jar. Use the water for:
Making gravy after pan frying burger or steak, thicken with masa powdered in a coffee mill add garlic, s&p, milk
Potato soups
Use liquid for masa cornbread or masa crepes
Also can use it with gelatin to make an aspic

Peater Piper

Cut the taters into small cubes, use just enough water to barely cover them, add whatever seasonings you like, place a lid on it and boil until the cubes soften and the water thickens. Once it cools a little, there shouldn't be much water left, it ends up kind of like a chunky mash.

ww3not4me

Seems pointless being honest. Potatoes don't have that high amounts of minerals, and the water soluble vitamins would get destroyed in the cooking process, especially ones which are out of the potato (sounds logical to me at least)
You could boil green leafy vegetables like Swiss Chard, Kale for 30 minutes, toss the leaves and drink the water, supposedly it'll be high in Magnesium and Calcium.
Why not just eat the Kale and Swish Chard instead of boiling them pitching them and drinking the water? I do not see why you would want to make a habit of that sort of waste?

"Potato water is the water that potatoes have been boiled in. The potatoes release their starchy goodness into the water as they are cooked. The potato water can then be used as a substitute for milk and it makes your bread deliciously moist. As well, it can be used as a thickener that is naturally gluten-free."

VitoScaletta

Why not just eat the Kale and Swish Chard instead of boiling them pitching them and drinking the water? I do not see why you would want to make a habit of that sort of waste?
Less anti-nutrients
Less fiber

It is just another way to get Magnesium and Calcium, for me.
Also what do you mean by "pitching"?

Less anti-nutrients
Less fiber

I have read that that is what Ray Peat does. He boils kale and drinks the water. I started doing that with broccoli. I cook broccoli florets in enough water to half cover them and give the requested broccoli to others while I drink the water with a little salt in a mug. It is tastier to me than the broccoli itself, and it doesn't require added butter. It is a great way to get your vitamin K without the fiber.

"Broccoli, kale, etc., are very rich in vitamin C; some goes into the water, which should be used." -Ray Peat

ww3not4me

Less anti-nutrients
Less fiber

throwing them into the trash instead of eating them. Few people get enough fiber. On top of that a lot of nutrients are lost with heat. Sure you will get some but I would pulse them or juice them before I would boil them and drink the water. Just seems like a waste. Like buying gasoline to sniff the vapors a few times then tossing most of it away.

I could see it if someone was on a liquid diet and just doing broths for a while especially if we are talking 20, 30, 40++ years ago when vegetables were dirt cheap. Many of these physical culture books were written a long time ago and food and energy cost were not like they are today. When I was juicing fasting back in the day I could blow through $1000 in short order compared to if I had been eating all of those fruits and vegetables.

VitoScaletta

throwing them into the trash instead of eating them. Few people get enough fiber. On top of that a lot of nutrients are lost with heat. Sure you will get some but I would pulse them or juice them before I would boil them and drink the water. Just seems like a waste. Like buying gasoline to sniff the vapors a few times then tossing most of it away.

I could see it if someone was on a liquid diet and just doing broths for a while especially if we are talking 20, 30, 40++ years ago when vegetables were dirt cheap. Many of these physical culture books were written a long time ago and food and energy cost were not like they are today. When I was juicing fasting back in the day I could blow through $1000 in short order compared to if I had been eating all of those fruits and vegetables.
You shouldn't eat that many vegetables