Potato supplemented by a good lot of buttermilk - Ireland in old times

mrchibbs

In this book they are not completely anti-meat and admit that a moderate amount of meat is good for mental development :

Since reading Healing with Whole Foods, I've remained convinced that a 90% vegetarian diet with limited consumption of quality meats (e.g. liver, ground beef etc.) is probably the best approach rather than all out carnivore or veganism.

mamakitty

Well sure. Milk provides a lot of what meat would otherwise provide with other possible benefits. I'm not religious, so by solely observing the human animal in nature it is quite evident that meat eating has been fundamental at some point in the history of our species. I'd be weary to draw too many conclusions from some nationalities or cultures that have done well consuming less meat.
☝?+1

mamakitty

I think if a lot of us had to kill and butcher our own meat it would be a different ball game (I'm by no means vegan/vegetarian by the way, just find this stuff interesting).

"The gorge of a cat, for instance, will rise at the smell of a mouse or a piece of raw flesh, but not at the aroma of fruit. If a man can take delight in pouncing upon a bird, tear its still living body apart with his teeth, sucking the warm blood, one might infer that Nature had provided him with carnivorous instinct, but the very thought of doing such a thing makes him shudder. On the other hand, a bunch of luscious grapes makes his mouth water, and even in the absence of hunger, he will eat fruit to gratify taste."
Many cultures do tear their prey while still living and drink the warm blood.

As for killing and butchering our own meat ostensibly putting us off, that’s not true for a lot of people either. I know many who hunt and butcher meat themselves. I myself have joined hunting parties and witnessed butchering of live animals as well, and as a child too. If the butcher is skilled, it’s not nearly as bad as the vegans falsely claim.

I think because a lot of people are raised in artificial and disease promoting environments of cities, they have completely lost touch with the nature and the natural order, and the reality of being a human. Don’t forget we, as a species, are an animal, an apex predator before anything else.

mamakitty

You speak from a position of luxury because the slaughterhouse and butcher will do the dirty work for you. So many of us have never had to face directly the reality of death supporting life. But make no mistake: you absolutely could and would kill an animal if you were hungry enough. We descend from hunters and it's in your DNA whether or not you want to face that fact.
+1

Sefton10

I would like to cut down on my red meat intake but I can't seem to get the same energy from any other food. When I try to change my diet and eat more plant foods I get weaker.
I think this is where sprouted wholegrains can be important. For example, sprouted oats work way better for me than white rice. When I rely on large boluses of starch via white rice, even with meat, I eventually get that full but empty feeling. I want to try some GABA rice for that reason. When sprouted we get the increased nutrition of the whole food with less of the downsides (phytic acid etc.) which then means we need less meat etc. to make up the difference. Meat is then more of a garnish than the main event.

Korven

I think this is where sprouted wholegrains can be important. For example, sprouted oats work way better for me than white rice. When I rely on large boluses of starch via white rice, even with meat, I eventually get that full but empty feeling. I want to try some GABA rice for that reason. When sprouted we get the increased nutrition of the whole food with less of the downsides (phytic acid etc.) which then means we need less meat etc. to make up the difference. Meat is then more of a garnish than the main event.

Yeah something doesn't feel quite right with the bolus doses of white rice. It an 'okay' energy source but I don't feel optimal with eating so much rice, it makes me a bit lethargic and weak.

Thanks for the suggestions, sprouted grains does seem like a great alternative but it's pretty much impossible for me to find any where I live, and let's be real I'm never getting into the habit of doing it myself.

How does masa harina compare to the sprouted grains in your experience? I had some this morning with whole milk and maple syrup and got some good mexican energy :smokingsombrero

Sefton10

Yeah something doesn't feel quite right with the bolus doses of white rice. It an 'okay' energy source but I don't feel optimal with eating so much rice, it makes me a bit lethargic and weak.

Thanks for the suggestions, sprouted grains does seem like a great alternative but it's pretty much impossible for me to find any where I live, and let's be real I'm never getting into the habit of doing it myself.

How does masa harina compare to the sprouted grains in your experience? I had some this morning with whole milk and maple syrup and got some good mexican energy :smokingsombrero
I actually used to quite enjoy making masa tortillas, but I always found that a bit of a hassle cooking them individually to be honest. By the time I'd made enough the first ones were cold. I would also make a kind of porridge with it using milk, but I'd find I would have to add quite of bit of honey or maple syrup to it to make it taste nice in that form, it just became a carb bomb - I definitely prefer the thicker 'stodge' of oat porridge with an apple or pear cooked in it. Got some GABA rice coming today so going to try that for dinner with some venison. Sprouted puy lentils help take the edge off white rice and make it feel a bit more substantial. They're really easy to do. Just need to make sure I don't add too many at once though, there's definitely a balance with regards to the fibre!

Back
Top Bottom