Potato egg drop soup

BingDing

Well, I had some left over potato soup in the fridge. Just cubed potatoes cooked in ox-tail broth for 40 minutes or so. Healthy and Peaty, and a great vehicle for salt, but pretty damn boring. The thought of mixing in an egg came out of left field, maybe boredom is the real mother of invention. :lol:

A google search turned up the essentials. Scramble the egg(s), bring the broth to a boil, pour the egg(s) in slowly while stirring the broth in a circle. The idea is to cook the egg instantly, stirring in a circle makes the streamer shape.

One recipe said 4 cups of broth and 2 eggs, I tried 4 cups of soup and 2 eggs.

Couldn't be much easier to do, and I thought it was a major improvement in flavor and interest. Did I mention lots of salt?

There is a lot of protein in this recipe, so of course drink plenty of sugar with it. Obviously it would work with any kind of soup. It somehow seems like it might be good for people who have problems with eggs, if anyone like that tries it please post a report, good or bad.

4peatssake

BingDing said:
Well, I had some left over potato soup in the fridge. Just cubed potatoes cooked in ox-tail broth for 40 minutes or so. Healthy and Peaty, and a great vehicle for salt, but pretty damn boring. The thought of mixing in an egg came out of left field, maybe boredom is the real mother of invention. :lol:

A google search turned up the essentials. Scramble the egg(s), bring the broth to a boil, pour the egg(s) in slowly while stirring the broth in a circle. The idea is to cook the egg instantly, stirring in a circle makes the streamer shape.

One recipe said 4 cups of broth and 2 eggs, I tried 4 cups of soup and 2 eggs.

Couldn't be much easier to do, and I thought it was a major improvement in flavor and interest. Did I mention lots of salt?

There is a lot of protein in this recipe, so of course drink plenty of sugar with it. Obviously it would work with any kind of soup. It somehow seems like it might be good for people who have problems with eggs, if anyone like that tries it please post a report, good or bad.

This looks really interesting BD and while still a bit beyond me at this point - I am going very slow and keeping it very simple - I do like collecting interesting recipes like this to try as I progress. To show you how slow I am, I've not even yet attempted bone broth, although part of this is because I've had a heck of time sourcing quality bones.

One question I have about this recipe is about the eggs. You mention first scrambling them and then pouring into the broth where the trick is to cook them instantly. I think I am confused with the term scrambling - do you mean whisking them and then pouring into the broth or cooking them as in scrambled eggs and adding to the broth.

Sorry for the confusion. Clearly cooking is not my strong suit. :roll:

OP
BingDing

BingDing

I should have said beat or whisk the eggs in a bowl, sorry.

I think I'm lucky living in Virginia, I can find grass fed dairy and meat at the local farmer's market. US Wellness Meats might work for you. And there is a 15% off coupon here. I'm glad I looked it up, I've been thinking about getting some beef liverwurst but was put off by the $75 minimum order.

4peatssake

BingDing said:
I should have said beat or whisk the eggs in a bowl, sorry.

I think I'm lucky living in Virginia, I can find grass fed dairy and meat at the local farmer's market. US Wellness Meats might work for you. And there is a 15% off coupon here. I'm glad I looked it up, I've been thinking about getting some beef liverwurst but was put off by the $75 minimum order.

Thank BD! This is great.