Potato diet and blood sugar experiment

OP
Serge

Serge

Now you can also try exprimenting with fat sources with various fatty acid saturation. For example how heavy monounsaturated fats like beef fat or olive oil affect your blood sugar and then more saturated ones like coconut oil or butter.

Will do, gradually adding by one product, to better see cause and effect. May God give me discipline! :)

OP
Serge

Serge

do you eat the peels?
I did in the first couple of days but the bitter aftertaste made it clear that I was eating plenty of solanine. So no, I am peeling the potatoes well and sometimes even soak them overnight to get as pure starch as I can.

baccheion

It's quite amazing. My usual morning blood sugar was 9-11 even if I was on meat and fat for the whole previous day. I'w quite used to seeing double digit numbers (>10mmol/L, or >180 mg/dL) in the past couple of years. Here are my recent morning blood sugars during the potato experiment (started November 2):

Nov 8 - 9,4
Nov 9 - 7,2
Nov 10 - 6,3
Nov 11 - 6,3
Nov 12 - 6,7
Nov 13 - 5,9

Well very optimistically I was prepared to expect it around 7. But this morning...

Nov 14 - 4,7

Such a number I had only achieved 4 years ago after about 10 days of strictest keto.
My blood sugar after meals is still quite high, around 11. But sugar is cleared from the blood way faster, and I only believe my today's morning number because I see it with my own eyes.
I'm thinking about replacing (or mixing?) potatoes with something like beans now for the sake of the experiment - to see how a bigger amount of protein will affect the situation. Fats I will keep well under 10 grams a day.
3-5g glycine 20 minutes before the meal helps clip the spike. Can try and share numbers every few minutes. May need to be balanced with something (MSM?) if only eating potatoes.

DrJ

@Serge many thanks for posting your experiences. I eat tons of potatoes now and it's gone well for me but I'm very interested to hear other people's experience.

Enormous post on a potato diet experiment:

Nice read. Thanks for linking this post.

OP
Serge

Serge

how is the diet going?

In December I will be trying more plain sugar (as table sugar, honey and fruit) during the day and potato with butter in the evening. See how it compares with more starch in November.

OP
Serge

Serge

A small change and update, again as a tool to make me stick to the plan - worked last time! :) So what I'm doing now is having protein in the morning and potato in the evening. Simple sugars through the day. Looks approx like this:

8am - 200 grams of chicken or fish meat well stewed with some saturated fat, a small onion and 10 grams of gelatin, 3-4 eggs added on top when almost ready.
6pm-10pm 1500 grams of well cooked potato with butter.
Sweet tea, cocoa, coffee through the day as needed. Maybe some sweetened condensed milk on some days.

I want to do it this way because mixing carbs (definitely starch) and protein keeps my blood glucose higher, so I keep them apart. And carbs in the evening make me fall asleep better.
------------
Gyus I will be making my eggshell supplement. Is it better digested when dissolved in ACV or lemon juice, or gust taking it with water is fine in your experience?
------------
Terrible news about Ray. But there will always be sweetness and light in the heart when thinking of him.

Last edited:

Vinny

I'm very interested to hear other people's experience.
U`ll hear from me as soon as I get something to share.

OP
Serge

Serge

Cancel meat, back to potato+sweet tea.
Only 3 days eating small amounts of meat brought me back to blood sugars staying steadily over 11.

Cancel meat, back to potato+sweet tea.
Only 3 days eating small amounts of meat brought me back to blood sugars staying steadily over 11.
that's interesting because I notice that I gain weight more easily when I eat meat...does higher blood sugar after meat happen to everyone? I always thought it was the hormones in the meat

Vinny

@Serge you mentioned trying beans earlier, did you ever do that?

And have you ever tried cinnamon for lowering blood sugar? I would be interested to see if that has any effect.

Last edited:
OP
Serge

Serge

@Serge you mentioned trying beans earlier, did you ever do that?

And have you ever tried cinnamon for lowering blood sugar? I would be interested to see if that has any effect.

The problem with beans is that when I start eating them, I don't know when to stop. I tried making a mashed beans and potato soup, man, I will be eating all day non-stop like a pig... And they give me a huge belly, something I really want to avoid experiencing. so no more beans often.

On cinnamon - I think I have like a tablespoon of genuine Sri Lanka cinnamon left, ordered by Internat a couple of years ago. What is available in my place is actually a cheap substitute, cassia, both in powder and bark pieces. I can try taking it (which form?) though my general attitude towards those herbs (barberry, cinnamon etc) for improving the situation is like painting a flower or some motivational phrase on a race car with no engine to help winning a race. But I can try, the taste is ok with me.

The problem with beans is that when I start eating them, I don't know when to stop. I tried making a mashed beans and potato soup, man, I will be eating all day non-stop like a pig... And they give me a huge belly, something I really want to avoid experiencing. so no more beans often.
I don't seem to have that problem with beans. I usually eat them with white rice and about 1/2 cup at a time. Do you rinse them before eating? I hear a lot of the indigestible things are in the liquid. Maybe you are just doing too much haha. For me, it is wheat that gives me the big belly problems :confused:
On cinnamon - I think I have like a tablespoon of genuine Sri Lanka cinnamon left, ordered by Internat a couple of years ago. What is available in my place is actually a cheap substitute, cassia, both in powder and bark pieces. I can try taking it (which form?) though my general attitude towards those herbs (barberry, cinnamon etc) for improving the situation is like painting a flower or some motivational phrase on a race car with no engine to help winning a race. But I can try, the taste is ok with me.
I mean, it couldn't hurt right? I have been using the Sri Lanka kind a couple times a day myself (I just pop 1/4 tsp in my mouth and drink it down with water) , I have read that the cassia and Sri Lanka are both used and studied for this purpose. But they say cassia has near toxic levels of coumarin so I don't use it but for baking. It is the tastiest supplement so it is fun for me.

I will be eating all day non-stop like a pig
One of the most insulinogenic foods on the Earth. No wonder it makes you that way.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals