Potassium

boris

Coconut water, milk, sweet potato, spinach, are good safe concentrated natural sources.

Don't know about supps. Why are you looking to supplement it?

tara

What's the best Potassium supplement?
I would guess, in general, not a supplement. Food - fruit, vegetables, milk, ... depending on what suits you. You can look up foods on nutrition data or cronometer site.
Unless you have some medical condition that requires short term supplementation to deal with deficiency and eating difficulties or something.

yerrag

I would guess, in general, not a supplement. Food - fruit, vegetables, milk, ... depending on what suits you. You can look up foods on nutrition data or cronometer site.
Unless you have some medical condition that requires short term supplementation to deal with deficiency and eating difficulties or something.
Yeah, especially when potassium pills are limited to 100mg by law. If you just have to have it as a supplement, USP KCl can be used, but it's still got contaminants like heavy metals. I can go 2500mg per day with it, but it's because it's only a temporary fix and also because my kidneys can excrete potassium, and I'm not taking prescription drugs which causes high serum potassium side effect.

OP
J

Jing

Coconut water, milk, sweet potato, spinach, are good safe concentrated natural sources.

Don't know about supps. Why are you looking to supplement it?
Because I struggle to get even the recommended amount I feel I need more than the recommended amount, you would have to eat quite a lot of these foods to even get the recommended, coconut water is very good for potassium but very expensive.

OP
J

Jing

Yeah, especially when potassium pills are limited to 100mg by law. If you just have to have it as a supplement, USP KCl can be used, but it's still got contaminants like heavy metals. I can go 2500mg per day with it, but it's because it's only a temporary fix and also because my kidneys can excrete potassium, and I'm not taking prescription drugs which causes high serum potassium side effect.
Would you say potassium chloride is the best type of potassium supplement?

yerrag

Would you say potassium chloride is the best type of potassium supplement?
I don't know about the effects of having so much chlorides ingested that isn't paired with sodium, so I'd feel safer with potassium bicarbonate.

But I wouldn't go that route if it's a long term intake. I would go to farmer markets to buy fruits in season. This is much easier to do in tropical countries as there is no paucity of fruits round the year. Fruits in season will be more affordable.

OP
J

Jing

I don't know about the effects of having so much chlorides ingested that isn't paired with sodium, so I'd feel safer with potassium bicarbonate.

But I wouldn't go that route if it's a long term intake. I would go to farmer markets to buy fruits in season. This is much easier to do in tropical countries as there is no paucity of fruits round the year. Fruits in season will be more affordable.
I don't live in tropical countries, I already have two bananas a day and eat potatoes and sometimes have coconut water and drink orange juice but I still don't get near recommended amount.

yerrag

I don't live in tropical countries, I already have two bananas a day and eat potatoes and sometimes have coconut water and drink orange juice but I still don't get near recommended amount.
It would be harder to get fruits year round then but there's still plenty of fruits to buy when fruits are in season.

How much daily potassium are you shooting for?

OP
J

Jing

It would be harder to get fruits year round then but there's still plenty of fruits to buy when fruits are in season.

How much daily potassium are you shooting for?
Recommended amount atleast but I would rather have more perhaps 1000mg or 2 more . I don't like many fruits so eating alot of them everyday will get boring and annoying also they are expensive and most fruit I find is poor quality.

yerrag

Recommended amount atleast but I would rather have more perhaps 1000mg or 2 more . I don't like many fruits so eating alot of them everyday will get boring and annoying also they are expensive and most fruit I find is poor quality.
I think RDA is 4700mg and you'll find the meat has plenty of potassium but it merely helps so having more veggies and fruits will help bring you up there. Veggies won't be a significant source unless you juice as it's hard to eat that much veggies. Fruits will be needed for sure. If you supplement, you'll need USP grade.. Definitely not food grade.

OP
J

Jing

I think RDA is 4700mg and you'll find the meat has plenty of potassium but it merely helps so having more veggies and fruits will help bring you up there. Veggies won't be a significant source unless you juice as it's hard to eat that much veggies. Fruits will be needed for sure. If you supplement, you'll need USP grade.. Definitely not food grade.
Why not food grade?

ExCarniv

If you don't lift weights or do strenuous sports, you probably don't need 4700mg of Potassium.

But lite salt could help a tsp gives you +1000mg

Try dates too, 200g of dates gives you like 1300mg of Potassium, plus good amounts of Magnesium, manganese and copper.

opson123

Potatoes, if your gut can handle a lot of them. 1kg of potatoes give you around 5000mg of potassium.

Edit. I got the 5000mg figure from a Finnish nutrition data website. Fineli -> Potato (Under "kivennäis- ja hivenaineet" and "kalium")

Last edited:

ExCarniv

Potatoes, if your gut can handle them. 1kg of potatoes gives you around 5000mg of potassium.

True.

500g is more realistic to eat in a day. Add some dates, a banana and half pound of steak and you are nearly there.

OP
J

Jing

If you don't lift weights or do strenuous sports, you probably don't need 4700mg of Potassium.

But lite salt could help a tsp gives you +1000mg

Try dates too, 200g of dates gives you like 1300mg of Potassium, plus good amounts of Magnesium, manganese and copper.
I lift heavy weights 3 times a week and run 2-3 times a week and walk two hours everyday.

I don't like dates.

OP
J

Jing

True.

500g is more realistic to eat in a day. Add some dates, a banana and half pound of steak and you are nearly there.
I couldn't eat that much potatoe in one day and I heard majority of potassium is in the skin I don't do good with the skin, I don't like dates, already eat bananas, steak everyday would cost like 8 pounds a day lol

You could add cream of tartar to orange juice. (e.g. 6g cream of tartar in 1 liter OJ, that should be round about 3g potassium in total.)

B

Braveheart

To put your mind at ease? The EU RDA min is 2000 mg...

Following are a few of my notes notes on Potassium rda....

"I am wondering what the basis is for the US 4700mg potassium recommended daily requirement (RDA) for adults.

It takes a huge amount of food to add up to 4700mg potassium a day. I am wondering how valid that target is.

The Australian RDA is much lower, 2,800 mg/day -- 3,800 mg/day <www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/potassium.htm?>.

The UK RDA is 3,500mg [www.nhs.uk]

In a brief released 2012 [www.who.int], the World Health Organization recommends 3,510 mg/day (page 10); see page 28 for the evaluation of the evidence base.
In reviewing international data, WHO states "No countries report an average population consumption of 120 mmol/day, which is recommended in countries such as Bulgaria, Canada, the Republic of Korea and the United States of America."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals