Potassium Insufficiency In GI Problems

Amazoniac

Street violinists,

I realized one of these days that a lot of people with intestinal problems tend to avoid the exact foods that provide a lot of potassium due to their reactions to the carbohydrates in those foods. Mainly: milk, starch or fruits. Not only that but it usually starts with poor metabolism, and with that it's common to have deranged calcium, copper and iron metabolism; which tend to accumulate tissues and organs involved in digestion for reasons that I don’t know. The mineral balancing guys suggest that copper protects the liver for example.
Lack of enough magnesium exacerbates potassium deficiencies; which in turn, the deficiency by itself favors infections.
Potassium sorbate is quite toxic and widely used due to its effectiveness, the combination of sorbic acid and potassium; both seem to contribute to control microbial growth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1616818/pdf/annsurg01397-0207.pdf

“Potassium deficiency has been produced experimentally by feeding a low potassium diet or by injecting desoxycorticosterone. It was shown that potassium deficiency may lead to muscle weakness and, in dogs, to eventual paralysis. In addition to this skeletal muscle change, pathologic lesions in cardiac muscle occur which are associated with characteristic electrocardiographic changes.”

“In rats the tone and movements of the whole digestive tract decreased progressively as the deficiency continued (Fig. IB, 2B, 3A). In an average of two months, this resulted in severe distension which eventually was the cause of death. The hypotonic intestine was usually filled with large amounts of digestive-secretions, even before symptoms became severe. In many animals in the severe stage of deficiency, large amounts of gas accumulated, so that the condition resembled that of paralytic ileus. These signs rapidly disappeared upon the administration of potassium. The bladder of deficient animals was also atonic and was usually found filled with urine (Fig. iB).”

“In potassium deficient adult dogs, little change in motility of the digestive tract occurred, although there was a reduction in the strength and rate of rhythmic contractions. In these dogs, water exchange was increased early in the deficiency.”

“These studies have shown that simple potassium deficiency in rats greatly reduces motility in the smooth muscle organs of the gastro-intestinal tract and bladder. Because of the accumulation of fluid and gas, there is either an increased secretion of digestive juices and/or a decreased absorption. In potassium deficient dogs, the water exchange and volume of gastric secretions is increased.”

“So it would seem that when gastric and intestinal secretions are lost from the body, a relatively large amount of potassium is likewise lost, as these fluids contain two to three times as much potassium as an equivalent amount of serum. Two effects may ensue:
1. There may be inhibition of the intestinal musculature aggravating an ileus already established from some other cause.
2. There appears to be a stimulus to increase the volume of gastric secretion. The stomach continues to secrete potassium, and because of the increased volume of secretion, the potassium deficiency develops. Hydration and electrolyte balance can only be restored if potassium is administered.”

--
For now, questions should be addressed to jyb; which, by the way, threatened me to include this: coconut wasser, milk (+lactase if needed), potatoes, oranges, guavas, papayas, dates, grapes, melon (as someone from the forum suggested), beet greens, non-strained yogurt, some white fishes, clams, tomato sauce, broccoli, lentils, etc; coffee and chocolate are good sources but people with metabolic problems tend to be repulsed by copper-rich foods, I guess it’s prudent in those cases to respect cravings and reactions.

...but people with metabolic problems tend to be repulsed by copper-rich foods

Why this revulsion to copper-rich foods?

I happen to crave copper rich foods, does that mean I'm good or that I need more zinc? I think I need more zinc...

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Why this revulsion to copper-rich foods?

I happen to crave copper rich foods, does that mean I'm good or that I need more zinc? I think I need more zinc...
The guys from hair mineral analysis studied these interactions extensively. Just google: hypothyroidism, copper, paul eck, etc; and many articles will pop up, suggesting how low metabolism makes the organs accumulate some minerals. However, in some cases the person might still crave the foods that have an excess of the accumulated minerals in tissues because apparently they can become unavailable to perform their desired functions.

I don't know what it means, I have more questions than answers..

I've done all that...several times. I still don't understand it. I do think I need more zinc.

Going on the high milk diet brought out some major symptoms, perhaps they were related to zinc deficiency.......I'm simply not smart enough to interpret my symptoms properly.

Pointless

I've done all that...several times. I still don't understand it. I do think I need more zinc.

Going on the high milk diet brought out some major symptoms, perhaps they were related to zinc deficiency.......I'm simply not smart enough to interpret my symptoms properly.

Socrates was once called the wisest man in the world because he said, "I know that I know nothing."

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Potassium sorbate is quite toxic and widely used due to its effectiveness, the combination of sorbic acid and potassium; both seem to contribute to control microbial growth.
I just realized that beet greens are uniquely resistant to bacterial degradation and is loaded with potassium, much more than other edible leaves. Who's going to be the one this time posting that "correlation..?

lindsay

I have been noticing lately that my potassium intake is dreadfully low - like half what it should be, according to cronometer. And I have digestive issues and lately, muscle fatigue. Been trying to think of ways to up my potassium intake without eating crazy amounts of fruit? I mean, I like fruit, but would like a more potent potassium source. Or is that the only way? Pickle juice was one option I came up with, but I am not sure how much is necessary......... Beet greens are supposedly good in soup. Cooking them and drinking the broth might be another option. But I'd rather drink pickle juice - love the stuff.

Wagner83

“So it would seem that when gastric and intestinal secretions are lost from the body, a relatively large amount of potassium is likewise lost, as these fluids contain two to three times as much potassium as an equivalent amount of serum. Two effects may ensue:
1. There may be inhibition of the intestinal musculature aggravating an ileus already established from some other cause.
2. There appears to be a stimulus to increase the volume of gastric secretion. The stomach continues to secrete potassium, and because of the increased volume of secretion, the potassium deficiency develops. Hydration and electrolyte balance can only be restored if potassium is administered.”

"
Salt restriction can cause aldosterone to increase, and excess aldosterone causes potassium loss, and increases the use of protein to form ammonia (Norby, et al., 1976; Snart and Taylor, 1978; Welbourne and Francoeur, 1977). Aldosterone secretion increases during the night, and its rise is greater in depressed and stressed people. It inhibits energy metabolism, increases insulin resistance, and increases the formation of proinflammatory substances in fat cells (Kraus, et al., 2005). During aging, salt restriction can produce an exaggerated nocturnal rise in aldosterone."

Water: Swelling, Tension, Pain, Fatigue, Aging

"
Salt restriction can cause aldosterone to increase, and excess aldosterone causes potassium loss, and increases the use of protein to form ammonia (Norby, et al., 1976; Snart and Taylor, 1978; Welbourne and Francoeur, 1977). Aldosterone secretion increases during the night, and its rise is greater in depressed and stressed people. It inhibits energy metabolism, increases insulin resistance, and increases the formation of proinflammatory substances in fat cells (Kraus, et al., 2005). During aging, salt restriction can produce an exaggerated nocturnal rise in aldosterone."

Water: Swelling, Tension, Pain, Fatigue, Aging

Lately I've been on the fence about where I stand on salt. Been doing a lot more fruit and veggies lately for the potassium with less salt and I feel better in some ways, but worse in others. One of the worst areas is my increased adrenaline. I have bad adrenaline problems at times related to anxiety and Salt is one of, if not the best thing to curb off the adrenaline. I'm wondering if it's just better to have increased potassium rich foods along with salt when I feel adrenaline issues. I've tried Baking Soda but it just doesn't work as well on adrenaline as salt for some reason.

Waremu

Perhaps with salt it needs to be a fine balance. For example, too little/no salt increases aldosterone, but too much salt also causes issues and displaces other minerals, etc. Maybe just eating enough salt according to taste/cravings is enough, in conjunction to getting enough of the other elements including potassium. Also, maybe less salt is only bad in the context of not getting enough other minerals including potassium and less is needed when the others are balanced. Kind of like how certain vegetables are only bad in the presence of iodine deficiency and not when enough iodine is consumed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals