Potassium Gives Me Diarrhea

Astolfo

Lite-salt, orange juice, etc. All does the same. After consuming a bit of potassium, I always get watery diarrhea and the feeling of like water pumped inside my bowel. My blood test says that I'm potassium deficient but I don't know how to up my potassium levels while my body doesn't absorb it at all.

Jessie

How do you know for sure you aren't absorbing it? One of the hallmark effects of potassium is to flush excess water retention. You may just be flushing excess water. If you're not digesting anything it may be due to low stomach acid.

Estradiol

Lite-salt, orange juice, etc. All does the same. After consuming a bit of potassium, I always get watery diarrhea and the feeling of like water pumped inside my bowel. My blood test says that I'm potassium deficient but I don't know how to up my potassium levels while my body doesn't absorb it at all.

It's not probably from Potassium. You need an antibiotic.

RWilly

Without enough sodium, you waste potassium.

Here's a quote from a Ray Peat article:

"One of the things that happen when there isn't enough sodium in the diet is that more aldosterone is synthesized. Aldosterone causes less sodium to be lost in the urine and sweat, but it achieves that at the expense of the increased loss of potassium, magnesium, and probably calcium. The loss of potassium leads to vasoconstriction, which contributes to heart and kidney failure and high blood pressure. The loss of magnesium contributes to vasoconstriction, inflammation, and bone loss. Magnesium deficiency is extremely common, but a little extra salt in the diet makes it easier to retain the magnesium in our foods."

Water: swelling, tension, pain, fatigue, aging

OP
A

Astolfo

How do you know for sure you aren't absorbing it? One of the hallmark effects of potassium is to flush excess water retention. You may just be flushing excess water. If you're not digesting anything it may be due to low stomach acid.
Is it even possible to flush excess water/oedema from the gut?

It's not probably from Potassium. You need an antibiotic.
Why you think so? I tried antibiotics, it has nothing to do with this.

Do you get enough B1?
Yes.

Without enough sodium, you waste potassium.

Here's a quote from a Ray Peat article:

"One of the things that happen when there isn't enough sodium in the diet is that more aldosterone is synthesized. Aldosterone causes less sodium to be lost in the urine and sweat, but it achieves that at the expense of the increased loss of potassium, magnesium, and probably calcium. The loss of potassium leads to vasoconstriction, which contributes to heart and kidney failure and high blood pressure. The loss of magnesium contributes to vasoconstriction, inflammation, and bone loss. Magnesium deficiency is extremely common, but a little extra salt in the diet makes it easier to retain the magnesium in our foods."

Water: swelling, tension, pain, fatigue, aging
My sodium intake is fine, i love adding salt to my meals. But extra sodium doesn’t help.

Jessie

@Astolfo I can't say for sure. But I don't know why not. Fluids tend to leave only one of two ways generally, via urination and via defecation. Not withstanding the rare occasions of vomit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals