Potassium And Glycogen

paymanz

That's interesting,

Ray also mentioned potassium having insulin like activity in body.

And Insulin promotes gylogenesis.

Me also feel better respond to carb foods when it comes with potassium.

That's interesting,

Ray also mentioned potassium having insulin like activity in body.

And Insulin promotes gylogenesis.

Me also feel better respond to carb foods when it comes with potassium.
@paymanz, how do you supplement potassium? And, can you mention what differences you noticed after supplementing?

Jimmerz

I feel more warmth and energy with it. or 8-12

No need for supplementation , some fruits, potato, milk are very rich source of potassium.

No need for supplementation? The daily recommended intake of potassium I've seen stated at anywhere from 3500-4700 mgs. or 3.5 grams - 4.7 grams. This equates to 4 large baked potatos, or 8 - 12 bananas a day. I doubt many people are eating this many potatos or bananas.

Tenacity

No need for supplementation? The daily recommended intake of potassium I've seen stated at anywhere from 3500-4700 mgs. or 3.5 grams - 4.7 grams. This equates to 4 large baked potatos, or 8 - 12 bananas a day. I doubt many people are eating this many potatos or bananas.

Milk, fruits of all kinds and leaves are all good sources. I could easily get 10g of potassium daily just from those things.

Jimmerz

Milk, fruits of all kinds and leaves are all good sources. I could easily get 10g of potassium daily just from those things.

There's 325 mg. in a cup of milk. Please let me in on your secret of how to get even half of that 10g a day, without eating a bag of potatos or half a box of bananas.

paymanz

There's 325 mg. in a cup of milk. Please let me in on your secret of how to get even half of that 10g a day, without eating a bag of potatos or half a box of bananas.
Orange juice,potatos,milk,meat. These provide good potassium.

What's wrong with potatos in your opinion?

Idk if its good to use potassium supplement in long term, what type of potassium supplement you have in your mind? The chloride form has lots of chlorine too, idk if that's a good thing or not.

biffbelvin

A kg of potatoes would supply you with 4g of potassium, but only 40% of your daily calories (assuming a 2000Kcal intake). 100ml of Oj provides 2% of your required calories and potassium.

What i'm getting at is that -in the context of a day's eating- it is difficult to miss your potassium needs. People on a restricted diet need a pretty restrictive diet, and in some cases, soak vegetables, just to limit your intake.

Jimmerz

Orange juice,potatos,milk,meat. These provide good potassium.

What's wrong with potatos in your opinion?

Idk if its good to use potassium supplement in long term, what type of potassium supplement you have in your mind? The chloride form has lots of chlorine too, idk if that's a good thing or not.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with potatos. It's just that recently I've been reading up on Potassium deficiency, and when I saw the RDV of 3500-4700 mgs. depending on where you read it, I was blown away. Especially after reading how many potatos, bananas, or how much milk it'd require to get that. To me, it doesn't seem possible without supplementing, as who eats 2.2 lbs. of potatos, or 8-12 bananas, and 2 liters of milk is an awful lot, especially if you have lactose issues.

Jimmerz

A kg of potatoes would supply you with 4g of potassium, but only 40% of your daily calories (assuming a 2000Kcal intake). 100ml of Oj provides 2% of your required calories and potassium.

What i'm getting at is that -in the context of a day's eating- it is difficult to miss your potassium needs. People on a restricted diet need a pretty restrictive diet, and in some cases, soak vegetables, just to limit your intake.

Again, you're saying a kg.of potatos , who the hell can eat 2.2 lbs. of potatos in a day? And it'd take 5000 ml. of Oj to get the RDV, which is 1.3 gallons. Who other than those with a cast iron stomach can drink 1.3 gallons of Oj per day? Yet you're saying it's difficult to miss your potassium needs? Who eats and drinks like that other than people from 'My 600 lb. Life'?

paymanz

Again, you're saying a kg.of potatos , who the hell can eat 2.2 lbs. of potatos in a day? And it'd take 5000 ml. of Oj to get the RDV, which is 1.3 gallons. Who other than those with a cast iron stomach can drink 1.3 gallons of Oj per day? Yet you're saying it's difficult to miss your potassium needs? Who eats and drinks like that other than people from 'My 600 lb. Life'?
1 kg of potatoes is not that hard to eat.

paymanz

I'm also curious to know how good juicing extracts potassium out of potatoes.

mipp

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with potatos. It's just that recently I've been reading up on Potassium deficiency, and when I saw the RDV of 3500-4700 mgs. depending on where you read it, I was blown away. Especially after reading how many potatos, bananas, or how much milk it'd require to get that. To me, it doesn't seem possible without supplementing, as who eats 2.2 lbs. of potatos, or 8-12 bananas, and 2 liters of milk is an awful lot, especially if you have lactose issues.
I agree that 4700mg number is crazy high and I doubt that an avarage person gets that much.
Typical liquid 'Ray Peat Diet' of OJ and milk would probably cover it but with a starch based diet one would have to eat potatoes all day.

I think potassium requirement is higher on a high carb diet as suggested in earlier. During my LCHF yeras I would normally get less than half of that recommended value maybe 1/3 and never noticed any problems. When I started high carbs with lots of white rice I had deficiency symptoms within days.