Post Your Experience Using UV-B For Vitamin D Exposure

I bought this unit a week or so ago.

I am fairly dark, and seldom burn in the sun.

I used it for a minute or so one morning. Felt energized. Used red light afterwards. Dr. Peat recommended this to keep aging of skin to a minimum.

Next time, I used it 30 seconds on each side (back, sides, and front), and burned. Took about a week to recover from that burn.

It was weird because the literature with the unit suggests this is the right dose for me, but obviously it was not.

After healing, I tried it again but wasn't thinking and used it in the evening. Didn't sleep well at ALL but feel REALLY good.

The literature suggests starting out first week or so a bit slower then every other day.

What has your experience been?

TripleOG

Are these the instructions they gave you? Skin Light instructions therapeutic UV healing Acne Vitamin D Vitiligo

How close were you to burn in 30 seconds with dark skin? I'm roughly skin type 4 and it takes over 2 minutes for erythema to set in at 2ft away.

Anyway, I've been doing similar full body UVB + Red Light for a bit now, 3-4x a week. Energy is greater and more stable during days I get little sun. Makes my SAD light obsolete. Increase in appetite. Skin is has more "life." Sleep also gets disrupted if I do it too late. Next blood test will be very telling.

Just upped my Vit. A after reading posts on here suggesting requirements increase with light therapy/sun exposure.

OP
ecstatichamster
Are these the instructions they gave you? Skin Light instructions therapeutic UV healing Acne Vitamin D Vitiligo

How close were you to burn in 30 seconds with dark skin? I'm roughly skin type 4 and it takes over 2 minutes for erythema to set in at 2ft away.

Anyway, I've been doing similar full body UVB + Red Light for a bit now, 3-4x a week. Energy is greater and more stable during days I get little sun. Makes my SAD light obsolete. Increase in appetite. Skin is has more "life." Sleep also gets disrupted if I do it too late. Next blood test will be very telling.

Just upped my Vit. A after reading posts on here suggesting requirements increase with light therapy/sun exposure.

yes those were the instructions. Thank you.

I am about 2 feet away. Do you have the double light? I am wondering why I burned. Even today after a shorter exposure my skin is sensitive.

I've been eating about 4 ounces of calves liver a week for the last few weeks, and upping magnesium and calcium. I doubt I need more vitamin A.

Dave Clark

You got a week lasting sunburn from a 30 second exposure to that?? You gotta be kidding.
That's what I was thinking. Most people don't burn from that amount of time with UVA lamps, which go deep into the skin, etc. I use a Sperti lamp 5 minutes with no noticeable difference in the skin.

OP
ecstatichamster
these are UVB lights.

And yes that is what happened. These are STRONG apparently.

Dave Clark

these are UVB lights.

And yes that is what happened. These are STRONG apparently.
Yeah, what I meant was that it is odd because even people who use UVA lights (which are much stronger, these are the type mostly in tanning booths, the type of light that gives you a tan) don't have that strong of a reaction. So, I thought it was odd that you did from the UVB lamp (that is what is in the Sperti, too).

Arrade

I really like the UVB beds near my house. Feel relaxed and a bit more androgenic, like the radiation right on deez nutz (not joking increases testerone).
Can't talk outside of the salon but over 10 mins pale i get a burn.

Jon

Perhaps your supplement regiment made you susceptible to burn? Things like antibiotics and certain B vitamins are known to make people sensitive to uv.

I've had nothing but good experiences from uvb exposure. It cured my insomnia, and either directly, or subsequently improved my androgen profile and insulin sensitivity. But I lay in a commercial tanning bed for exposure. @ecstatichamster

magnesiumania

There is the isomerization step of D metabolism which require that you skin is hydrated. Dysfunctional cytochrom C contribute to dehydration. Also many people dont have retinol to activate the VDR receptors

I bought this unit a week or so ago.

I am fairly dark, and seldom burn in the sun.

I used it for a minute or so one morning. Felt energized. Used red light afterwards. Dr. Peat recommended this to keep aging of skin to a minimum.

Next time, I used it 30 seconds on each side (back, sides, and front), and burned. Took about a week to recover from that burn.

It was weird because the literature with the unit suggests this is the right dose for me, but obviously it was not.

After healing, I tried it again but wasn't thinking and used it in the evening. Didn't sleep well at ALL but feel REALLY good.

The literature suggests starting out first week or so a bit slower then every other day.

What has your experience been?
Same - burn at first, but adapted to it later on.

Memento

I was looking at buying an UV-B lamp and seems that the best value for my money will be from a Philips PL-L 36W tube bought from german ebay. Looks like around 0,5W/€ delivered. Of course you need an electronic ballast unit and a socket too, but those should be pretty cheap.

Last edited:

Memento

One low cost and widely available option:

Though they fail to mention bulb lifetime which in the case of Philips medical narrowband bulbs mentioned above is only rated to 400 hours and Osram Ultra Vitalux mentioned elsewhere on the forum is rated for 1000 hours. In a high output system that you use few times a week that is not an issue, but if you choose a low output bulb that you use for hours at the time it is something to think about.

This might be the best source for picking your UV lamp:

I found this extremely handy tool through image search, might not be linked on the main page:

You can find an explanation why you might not want to buy an Osram Ultra Vitalux or similar mercury vapor lamp for vit D production.

Last edited:

Redroad

Though they fail to mention bulb lifetime which in the case of Philips medical narrowband bulbs mentioned above is only rated to 400 hours and Osram Ultra Vitalux mentioned elsewhere on the forum is rated for 1000 hours. In a high output system that you use few times a week that is not an issue, but if you choose a low output bulb that you use for hours at the time it is something to think about.

I found this extremely handy tool through image search, might not be linked on the main page:

You can find an explanation why you might not want to buy an Osram Ultra Vitalux or similar mercury vapor lamp for vit D production.
Could you ele

thanks for this. In my extremely limited understanding of all things uv. Is this Osram bad because there is not enough uva and to much uvb. Also at a safe distance would it take to much time to produce vitamin d?

Memento

Osram has plenty of UV output, though it might not be safe for few reasons: "spiky" spectrum, non-terrestrial UVB (wavelengths below 290nm), low UVA to control vitamin D synthesis, spectrum also falls well within the action spectrum for DNA damage. Some mercury vapor lamps also emit in UV-C spectrum and I don't know if the outer layer can degrade in a way that will increase that portion over time. I used a different kind of mercury vapor lamp to generate ozone with the outer layer removed.

I chose this for above reasons and for the tested output at given distance:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals