Post-SSRI

Cymatic

I concluded low dose paxil (20mg) + adderall (5mg) last november. I was on each, 6 months and 4 months respectively. While on the drugs I felt fine and had normal sexual functioning. Shortly after stopping I realized I didn't have quite the drive I used to have. In fact, I'd rate libido pretty low - 2/10. In my opinion, the adderall masked any sexual/cognitive side effects of the paxil. My post-side effects now include brain fog, memory loss, low libido. I think I might have a little anhedonia as well because I feel apathetic and indifferent to my life's events now.

I have been following a Peat WOE for about a month now and can definitely feel a return of energy and overall improved sense of well being, although the brain fog and drive are still persist.

Haidut's posts regarding SSRI drugs and how they can lead to an array of health issues due to excess serotonin have been very informative. If I can recall, doesn't Peat make mention of a disruption of hormones, namely allopregnanolone and/or progesterone? Would supplemented pregnenolone be of any help? If my body has any chance at returning to near normal, I guess I would like to give it the best fighting chance.

For anyone that's experienced adverse reactions while either on or off SSRI, did you do anything that you felt promoted your recovery?

For others that haven't experienced anything like this, anything you would focus on?

mujuro

Forum Supporter
Regarding neurosteroids, Pansterone might offer some relief. In the past I would realize very quickly if I had forgotten to take my escitalopram, because of the resurgence of negative symptoms (emotional fragility and lability). Since using Pansterone I sometimes go days without taking my SSRI because I simply don't experience any negative effects from its absence that would remind me to take it (I'm really bad with morning meds). It's actually hard to tell what it does for me now, if anything at all.

DaveFoster

Indeed; Pansterone and coffee make a measurable impact in mood, as does cyproheptadine. Coffee can provoke anxiety, however.

OP
Cymatic

Cymatic

Thanks for the recommendation. Personally, I do notice the anxious effects if I don't have adequate carbs. I am still awaiting blood test results for sex hormones and thyroid and will look into pansterone.

OP
Cymatic

Cymatic

Regarding neurosteroids, Pansterone might offer some relief. In the past I would realize very quickly if I had forgotten to take my escitalopram, because of the resurgence of negative symptoms (emotional fragility and lability). Since using Pansterone I sometimes go days without taking my SSRI because I simply don't experience any negative effects from its absence that would remind me to take it (I'm really bad with morning meds). It's actually hard to tell what it does for me now, if anything at all.
If this is the case, I would look into tapering off the escitalopram at a snail's pace. At your doctor's discretion of course. From the anecdotal experience I've read it seems like most of the adverse reactions or withdrawal symptoms happen from abrupt or "cold turkey" stopping. Good luck

OP
Cymatic

Cymatic

Lab results:

27 yr male, 5' 9" 175

Test 585 range 300 - 1080 ng/dL
Test Free % 2.0 range 1.6 - 2.9%
Test Free Calc 119 range 47 - 244 pg/mL
SHBG 30 range 11 - 80 nmol/L
TSH 4.64 (H) range 0.20 - 4.50 uIU/mL
Free T4 0.9 range 0.7 - 1.5 ng/dL

it appears I'm slightly hypo-thyroid?