Post shortages of things that you notice here

Dutchie

Interesting. I read an article a few days ago about food production in the Netherlands and that many greenhouses are having big problems due to high energy prices and that this will affect food prices. I didn't know the the groceries are already that much more expensive. Here in Germany I didn't notice big price increase for food so far, at least for the food I eat. On the other hand we had an election two weeks ago and more expensive groceries could irritate voters. We also see the increases in energy price and yesterday I read that fertilizer prices have increased by up to 50% in one week.
I guess it depends on where you are in Germany.
This past week I went to shop across the border in Germany,bc it's cheaper....at least it used to be...
Holy moly I was shocked by the increased foodprices! Most things had similar or slightly higher prices compared to the food here.

Dutchie

Jesus, the immediate increase in energy price (gas and electricity) here in the Netherlands is beyond anything I have ever seen. My neighbour just went from 225 euros a month to 500 euros a month!!!!

And everything in the supermarket has become more expensive.

Everything. By at least 30 % since july 2021. So in about three months time.
Yeah,it is really sad....they're trying to starve us while simultaneously rob us from our health.
Farmers will find veggies&fruit growing too expensive bc of the energy costs and cattle/dairy farmers are being disowned of their land by our lovely government....

But thankfully there's Micky D's with their Gates Hell Burger a.k.a. McPlant to feed us...?

Inaut

Yeah,it is really sad....they're trying to starve us while simultaneously rob us from our health.
Farmers will find veggies&fruit growing too expensive bc of the energy costs and cattle/dairy farmers are being disowned of their land by our lovely government....

But thankfully there's Micky D's with their Gates Hell Burger a.k.a. McPlant to feed us...?
permaculture will be the answer to their starvation plans

Dutchie

permaculture will be the answer to their starvation plans
If you mean the government by 'their', then you're wrong.
All the government cares about is rolling out Schwabs agenda.....using the land for building datacenters and to house all the immigrants they're cramming our country with..

All they care about is to eradicate the farmers, not to have better options for them to grow and make money off it..

Inaut

If you mean the government by 'their', then you're wrong.
All the government cares about is rolling out Schwabs agenda.....using the land for building datacenters and to house all the immigrants they're cramming our country with..

All they care about is to eradicate the farmers, not to have better options for them to grow and make money off it..
Our answer will be permaculture. People with backyards should do what they can.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
There will be no famine. However, food will become very expensive. Loaf of bread for a days wages.

Dutchie

Our answer will be permaculture. People with backyards should do what they can.
Definitely....sadly I don't have a garden or even a balcony. However I've heard people complain here that it's hard to get decent (organic) seeds...so they've cornered that market as well.

Rafe

I was able to get 5 cans of frozen concentrated oj this week, but the stock was def lower than ever.

Gasoline is at 3.55/gal up from below 3.00 before summer.

1.23lb of 85/15 industrial ground beef (the cheap kind) is 9.32USD, 6.99/lb.

I’m not familiar with this site. But I will probably be teaching a politics unit on permaculture principles next year. If I’m still working.

Upper Midwest, small city.

Seven

This letter was just sent out today from a local company in Ontario, selling tools, hardware, and home and garden products:

Dear Customer,

This time last year, I wrote an email to convey our uncertainty about what the fall would look like. This year, we have a much better idea of what to expect, as the hangover from COVID-19 continues to disrupt the economy.

We are now seeing lead times for some products that exceed one year, if our order even gets accepted – and not all do. International shipping continues to be an issue, with unprecedented backlogs throughout the supply chain, and costs that are several times what they were pre-COVID.

You can expect to see some supply shortages through the fall season and can count on many prices increasing. Most industries are also facing labor shortages (we’re hiring too!), and this will affect the ability to handle spikes in volume or deliver services on a timely basis.

Within the next few weeks, we will be releasing our Christmas catalog, which is uncomfortably early for us. Again this year, we are recommending that you shop as early as possible, as we will not have the opportunity to replenish inventory before Christmas. For those who shop in-store, we also recommend ordering online and picking up in-store – that way, you know the products you need are waiting for you, and it helps us ensure that we can serve you as quickly as possible, at the time of your choosing.

I would also like to take this time to thank you all for your patience, understanding and support over the past year – it has made a real difference to our staff during trying times.

Cheers,
Robin C. Lee
President & CEO, Lee Valley Tools

peter88

*BOTH* of us had similar experiences even though each of us is sometimes able to eat or drink something the other does not like or can not digest.
We both became nauseous and dizzy after drinking 1to 2 cups each of Gerolsteiner and I also developed a headache. This *never* happened in the past.
We used to enjoy the Gerolsteiner bubble water on a hot summer day.
We have not trashed 2 bottles since my husband says he will use it on the plants in pots and will also watch to see if it kills those plants
I used to drink lots of gerolsteiner before 2020 and never had a problem. Started drinking a lot in the last couple months which resulted in nagging headaches and dry mouth/eyes. Literally after a day of not drinking it these problems get better. I guess its time to buy a distiller...

LA

I used to drink lots of gerolsteiner before 2020 and never had a problem. Started drinking a lot in the last couple months which resulted in nagging headaches and dry mouth/eyes. Literally after a day of not drinking it these problems get better. I guess its time to buy a distiller...
Yes - and thanks for your reminder - I have just posted something hopefully helpful, as a separate thread due to your posting.
Water is one of the best cleansers of our bodies. It is very important to drink clean water.

Badger

AI-generated response to query on safety of Gerolsteiner water, which I myself drink:

"There is no recent news about the safety of Gerolsteiner mineral water. However, Gerolsteiner has a highly qualified in-house quality assurance team that conducts over 400 microbiology and chemical analyses to ensure the safety and quality of their mineral water[1]. Gerolsteiner Sparkling is a natural mineral water that is high in minerals and is Germany's most consumed mineral water[2][3]. According to a water test conducted by Testaqua in 2019, Gerolsteiner sparkling is hard water with a maximum level of > 500ppm[4]. There is no mention of fluoride in Gerolsteiner mineral water[5]."

Citations:
[1] Quality
[2] How safe is mineral water?
[3] Amazon product ASIN B001SB3XXGView: https://www.amazon.com/Gerolsteiner-Naturally-Sparkling-Mineral-16-9oz/dp/B001SB3XXG
[4] Gerolsteiner Water Test | Bottled Water Tests - TestAqua.com
[5] Does Gerolsteiner Water Have Fluoride? - Truth About Fluoride

Badger

Thank you and that is another reason not to drink it. It was fun in the summer. Although so far our weather here is not hot enough, yet, for ice-water
You want flouride in your mineral water?

LA

You want flouride in your mineral water?
Hahaaa - no where did you get that idea?
Removing Fluoride is one of the reasons we distill our drinking water

I was simply/ happily 'reminiscing' about cold summertime bubble-water. Apparently none of the bottled waters are safe. As noted in another posting we have been distilling and carbon filtering all of our drinking water (including water for coffee, tea and other cooking needs) since 2009.

It WAS fun to drink cold bubble-water in the summer.

I focused on item [5] of your AI-generated response -

Does Gerolsteiner Water Have Fluoride? - Truth About Fluoride
Carbonated “natural” mineral water but does Gerolsteiner water have fluoride?

Does Gerolsteiner Water Have Fluoride?

Gerolsteiner definitely markets itself as a healthy choice but is this bottle of water that’s high in minerals also high in fluoride? A substance that is now classified a neurotoxin.

And what better way to find out, then to buy a bottle and test it with a fluoride meter.

Let’s just say after doing hundreds of these tests, there have been many shocking results.

However, bottled water is usually fluoride-free. The issues usually center around water filters, teas, and other household items that are loaded with fluoride or don’t do as advertised.

But there are some shocking results with bottled water, one of which you’ll see shortly.

Now before we test a sample, let’s look at what Gerolsteiner says about their water.

According to the Gerolsteiner label located on the back of the water bottle, Gerolsteiner water should contain 0.21 ppm of fluoride.

This would rank Gerolsteiner with some of the highest levels of fluoride on my 121+ list of bottled water without fluoride.
[--https://truthaboutfluoride.com/bottled-water-without-fluoride/--]

But before we jump to conclusions, let’s test it for ourselves.

According to the fluoride meter, Gerolstiner contains 0.4 ppm of fluoride.

Which is close to what’s found in tap water and very high for any brand of bottled water.

And I think it goes without saying but 0.4 ppm is far from being “natural” so who knows where they really get their water from.
[snip]

Attachments

• gerolsteiner-label-fluoride-levels.jpg
    gerolsteiner-label-fluoride-levels.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: