Post-Nasal Dripocalypse

TL/DR version: Grizzled veteran of the metabolism wars needs ideas for dealing with extreme, chronic post-nasal drip that does not respond to usual Peat methods of raising metabolism and cleaning intestine.

Homeric epic version:

Peating has been great for me. My spirits, energy, and body composition have all improved a lot, and a million minor ailments have vanished. My resting pulse is in the 80s or low 90s most of the day.

But there's a catch. A couple of years ago, after taking antibiotics, I developed a chronic runny nose, which later turned into chronic post-nasal drip. Every morning and evening, and sometimes during the day, for around 30-60 minutes, I get massive post-nasal drip and have to clear my throat constantly. Drinking more than a small amount of liquid can also trigger post-nasal drip.

Gargling salty water sometimes brings relief for a few hours, but even if I gargle all day, the PND keeps returning. Walking in the sun has the same effect: temporary relief, if any. 8-12 mg of naltrexone in the morning weakens the PND attacks somewhat, but the drug's effect wears off after a few days.

Since Ray Peat emphasizes the link between the intestine and inflammation elsewhere in the body, I have tried the standard tactics for cleaning the intestine (carrot salad, antibiotics, charcoal, flowers of sulfur, minimal starch and fiber) as well as turpentine and raw garlic. No improvement at all.

A pro-metabolic diet (liver, gelatin, OJ, lots of fruit, dairy, coffee, seafood, CO, low PUFA) and supplements (thyroid, high doses of aspirin and pregnenolone, AEK, B vitamins, MB, Na, Mg, Ca) have not helped with PND. I get enough protein and sugar. Cyproheptadine also hasn't helped. To make sure I'm not reacting to one of my usual foods or supplements, I have stopped using each one for at least a week. Again, nothing.

This problem is slowly driving me batshit crazy, so I'd love to hear any ideas you have about what might be causing it or how to fix it. Thanks!

OP
C
Thanks for your reply, ecstatichamster. I tried bag breathing and diamox a few months ago; they didn't affect the PND then, but I'll give them another shot.

aguilaroja

TL/DR version: ...extreme, chronic post-nasal drip that does not respond to usual Peat methods of raising metabolism and cleaning intestine.
Two items that might be informative experiments, if the PND relates to a high histamine state.

First, haidut has posted about potential anti-histamine effects of the amino acid L-theanine.

Theanine Is An Antihistamine

I and some friends have “coincidentally” noticed theanine's allergy relieving effect, though we were investigating theanine for other benefits.

Second, you might see if nasal cromolyn sodium spray (brand name Nasalcrom or generics) is helpful. Be advised to use it regularly rather than wait for symptoms. The spray’s action can build up relief over 2 weeks or so even when used several times per day.

Nasal cromolyn sodium spray is over the counter in many countries. It is pricey for a nasal spray but cheap compared to prescription sprays. It is not a corticosteroid, not an antihistamine, and not a “decongestant” adrenaline agonist. It reduces the release of histamine from mast cells. IMO it is far safer than cortisone-type and decongestant sprays.

I think doctors don’t promote it largely because the many corticosteroid remained by prescription longer and were marketed heavily buy the industry. If the adverts are representative, the corticosteroid sprays still have the clout.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromoglicic_acid

OP
C
Thanks very much, aguilaroja. Those both sound like promising experiments to try. I will order l-theanine powder right now and look into obtaining cromolyn sodium spray.

CoconutEffect

If you can tolerate it - Y.S. ECO BEE FARMS - SUPER ENRICHED HONEY w/ bee pollen, bee propolis, and royal jelly. iherb
I had the same problem, severely, causing anxiety and indigestion.
For me 1-2 tblspoons a day, and it's gone in less than a week. I have it chronically too, when I stop the honey, it always comes back. I should be taking it everyday as maintenance.

OP
C
Thanks for sharing your experience, dilantinoid. I will check out this enriched honey product. What will those bees invent next?

OP
C
To bee sure.

SneezeStar

Almost every coconut oil brand I've tried gives me a runny nose in the morning. One brand (spectrum refined) doesn't.

kiran

Have you tried filling up on glycogen stores (lots of OJ) and then taking some niacinamide?
One possibility is that switching to fat burning makes you vulnerable to the cold.

Nemo

TL/DR version: Grizzled veteran of the metabolism wars needs ideas for dealing with extreme, chronic post-nasal drip that does not respond to usual Peat methods of raising metabolism and cleaning intestine.

I know this is an old thread, and I hope the honey worked.

I've found T3, in small frequent doses, works well for normal, lighter post-nasal drip.

But I ran into this Niagara kind of post-nasal drip twice, both times when my cortisol level and blood sugar got very high. The cause was easily identifiable both times and the problem went away quickly after I removed the cause.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
C
I know this is an old thread, and I hope the honey worked.

I've found T3, in small frequent doses, works well for normal, lighter post-nasal drip.

But I ran into this Niagara kind of post-nasal drip twice, both times when my cortisol level and blood sugar got very high. The cause was easily identifiable both times and the problem went away quickly after I removed the cause.

Your explanation (high cortisol) sounds quite plausible to me. In retrospect, it's likely my stress hormones and FFAs were much higher than I realized when I started this thread in 2016.

I don't recall what stopped the nasal tsunami. These days, I occasionally get a runny nose in conjunction with GI distress. Clonidine helps, but you wouldn't want to take clonidine just for a runny nose -- like killing a gnat with a flamethrower.

Although I don't think cromalyn sodium spray (which @aguilaroja recommended) stopped the PND, it's been great for preventing nasal congestion. The xylitol nasal spray, Xlear, is also good for the same purpose, and as far as I know, you can use Xlear and cromalyn sodium together for an even bigger punch.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals