Post Hysterectomy HRT????

BrianF

Close relative, mid-40s recently underwent a hysterectomy due to ovarian cancer stage 1. Naturally this is a sensitive subject and one I don't really want to get involved in but I'm concerned about the possibility of an estrogen type HRT being recommended by the 'experts' that are treating her. Anyone know what the standard HRT would involve in these events and are there any ladies out there with any advice from experience or just from a female perspective. I suppose what I'm saying is if that is the case, then I'm going to have to have a conversation with her (and I really, really don't want to) but I feel that I'd be letting her down if I didnt.

LucyL

First off I would recommend progesterone. By itself. WebMD says this:
Hormone therapy after surgery -- either with estrogen and progestin or with estrogen alone -- is a way to counteract the supply of estrogen you've lost. Women who have both the uterus and ovaries removed usually just get estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) alone. But women who have only the ovaries removed need both estrogen and progestin. That's because estrogen alone can increase the risk of cancer in the uterus. Adding progestin removes this risk.

ALL bad. Progestin should be considered just as bad a estrogen. She need Progesterone - the real, natural substance. I did a quick web search, and I can't tell if there is a standard for offering HRT following ovarian cancer, it may depend on what type of cancer she had, but there are certainly a lot of sites saying it is just fine (at least following some Ovarian cancers). My guess is she will be offered HRT, and it will be estrogen + progestin.

Gustav3Y

I wonder was she on any anti-estradiol drugs when they detected the cancer?
I guess this would be very hard to answer.

OP
B

BrianF

I wonder was she on any anti-estradiol drugs when they detected the cancer?
I guess this would be very hard to answer.
She never mentioned that she was. The tumour oyr was the size of a grapefruit and she went to the Doctor complaining of tiredness and backpain.