• @Blossom Is A Blessing To This Community, Let Us Be A Blessing To Her
    Click Here For More Information
  • Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Post Here If You Tried Losartan For Flu Covid-19 Etc

brocktoon

I had been wondering the same about olmesartan and when I read the ray peat interview he seemed to be saying as long as it had the mechanism of ARB it would work in this situation. Losartan happens to be the most well known and widely prescribed
Candesartan may be more potent in some respects than losartan. "Although they belong to the same class of drugs, losartan and candesartan have important pharmacological differences. The binding to the AT1 receptor is tighter and lasts longer with candesartan compared to losartan."
Effects of losartan vs candesartan in reducing cardiovascular events in the primary treatment of hypertension

alywest

Candesartan may be more potent in some respects than losartan. "Although they belong to the same class of drugs, losartan and candesartan have important pharmacological differences. The binding to the AT1 receptor is tighter and lasts longer with candesartan compared to losartan."
Effects of losartan vs candesartan in reducing cardiovascular events in the primary treatment of hypertension
i think the good need is if this helps with your hypertension (which I also have) you should continue to take it regardless because it’s apparently peat kosher, which is something I wasn’t sure about for a long time

Bingo

Ecstatichamster: Thanks for posting this. So glad you are feeling better. I am wondering if Losartan might be something that should be started with a tapered dosage? The only place I have seen dosage recommendations for treating the virus with Losartan was on the Facebook Inspired group. I think it was by Matt Mps on March 22? It discussed the treatment dose of Losartan might be as low as 6mg twice per day! That would make it safer to treat persons who don't have hypertension. How did you choose your starting dosage? I wanted to ask if anyone else had heard of a recommended treatment dosage? I would also be interested in a recommendation for acetazolemide, which is also contraindicated with aspirin. Anyone know if that combination would be safe together? Certainly it sounds like thiamine might be an option with Losartan if acetazolemide were not available or contraindicated with other meds.

ecstatichamster

Ecstatichamster: Thanks for posting this. So glad you are feeling better. I am wondering if Losartan might be something that should be started with a tapered dosage? The only place I have seen dosage recommendations for treating the virus with Losartan was on the Facebook Inspired group. I think it was by Matt Mps on March 22? It discussed the treatment dose of Losartan might be as low as 6mg twice per day! That would make it safer to treat persons who don't have hypertension. How did you choose your starting dosage? I wanted to ask if anyone else had heard of a recommended treatment dosage? I would also be interested in a recommendation for acetazolemide, which is also contraindicated with aspirin. Anyone know if that combination would be safe together? Certainly it sounds like thiamine might be an option with Losartan if acetazolemide were not available or contraindicated with other meds.

I don't think there is a need to taper upwards. I took 50mg immediately. When you have a virus, your blood pressure is elevated anyway. I am normotensive under usual conditions but I was 145/92 and even with losartan my BP was still elevated. One of the effects of these viruses (whatever they really are) is to cause the body to elevate blood pressure. I forget the metabolic reason for this, but it is pretty universal and I've noticed it in the past even when I had a cold.

I was taking 50mg twice a day consistent with the half life of losartan as I read:

Clinical pharmacokinetics of losartan. - PubMed - NCBI
Losartan is the first orally available angiotensin-receptor antagonist without agonist properties. Following oral administration, losartan is rapidly absorbed, reaching maximum concentrations 1-2 hours post-administration. After oral administration approximately 14% of a losartan dose is converted to the pharmacologically active E 3174 metabolite. E 3174 is 10- to 40-fold more potent than its parent compound and its estimated terminal half-life ranges from 6 to 9 hours. The pharmacokinetics of losartan and E 3174 are linear, dose-proportional and do not substantially change with repetitive administration. The recommended dosage of losartan 50 mg/day can be administered without regard to food. There are no clinically significant effects of age, sex or race on the pharmacokinetics of losartan, and no dosage adjustment is necessary in patients with mild hepatic impairment or various degrees of renal insufficiency. Losartan, or its E 3174 metabolite, is not removed during haemodialysis. The major metabolic pathway for losartan is by the cytochrome P450 (CYP) 3A4, 2C9 and 2C10 isoenzymes. Overall, losartan has a favorable drug-drug interaction profile, as evidenced by the lack of clinically relevant interactions between this drug and a range of inhibitors and stimulators of the CYP450 system. Losartan does not have a drug-drug interaction with hydrochlorothiazide, warfarin or digoxin. Losartan should be avoided in pregnancy, as is the case with all other angiotensin-receptor antagonists. When given in the second and third trimester of pregnancy, losartan is often associated with serious fetal toxicity. Losartan is a competitive antagonist that causes a parallel rightward shift of the concentration-contractile response curve to angiotensin-II, while E 3174 is a noncompetitive "insurmountable" antagonist of angiotensin-II. The maximum recommended daily dose of losartan is 100mg, which can be given as a once-daily dose or by splitting the same total daily dose into two doses. Losartan reduces blood pressure comparably to other angiotensin-receptor antagonists. Losartan has been extensively studied relative to end-organ protection, with studies having been conducted in diabetic nephropathy, heart failure, post-myocardial infarction and hypertensive patients with left ventricular hypertrophy. The results of these studies have been sufficiently positive to support a more widespread use of angiotensin-receptor antagonists in the setting of various end-organ diseases. Losartan, like other angiotensin-receptor antagonists, is devoid of significant adverse effects.

ecstatichamster

as sick as I was, taking 3g of thiamine a day made no difference quickly enough. I think the losartan and acetazolamide (125mg up to 3 times a day) made a huge difference immediately.

People don't realize how sick one can get. It's so easy for people to make suggestions like vitamin C (I was taking 20g to 50g daily) and methylene blue (I was taking 20mg or more per day, perhaps not enough)...but these are not enough when you are as sick as I was.

I had to take cyproheptadine (I was taking 16mg per day) , and 50mg X 2 of losartan, and acetazolamide 125mg X 3, for a few days, to make it over the hump.

Beastmode

as sick as I was, taking 3g of thiamine a day made no difference quickly enough. I think the losartan and acetazolamide (125mg up to 3 times a day) made a huge difference immediately.

People don't realize how sick one can get. It's so easy for people to make suggestions like vitamin C (I was taking 20g to 50g daily) and methylene blue (I was taking 20mg or more per day, perhaps not enough)...but these are not enough when you are as sick as I was.

I had to take cyproheptadine (I was taking 16mg per day) , and 50mg X 2 of losartan, and acetazolamide 125mg X 3, for a few days, to make it over the hump.

This is a great example, unfortunately you had to go through this, of the measures we may have to take when the system goes far enough "downstream" in the problem.

I wonder what Peat would do personally in this situation if he were that far down with symptoms. Also, I'm sure many of us have had the idea that Losartan was going to be the savior if things got really bad during these times.

This also reminds me to deepen my own understanding so I may catch any "subtle" signs that I can sort out further "upstream" regardless of what's going on around the world.

Glad you're better. I hope that keeps everyone here bit more "sober" with how important it is to master the fundamentals that Peat suggests...over and over.

managing

I am glad to hear you are feeling better.

Can you tell us where in the world you are? As specific or general as you are comfortable with of course.

It would be very interesting if/when the antibody tests are available in your area if you will get tested.

ecstatichamster

Thank you for all your kind wishes.

I’m in South East part of the USA. I do not plan to get tested.

ecstatichamster

This is a great example, unfortunately you had to go through this, of the measures we may have to take when the system goes far enough "downstream" in the problem.

I wonder what Peat would do personally in this situation if he were that far down with symptoms. Also, I'm sure many of us have had the idea that Losartan was going to be the savior if things got really bad during these times.

This also reminds me to deepen my own understanding so I may catch any "subtle" signs that I can sort out further "upstream" regardless of what's going on around the world.

Glad you're better. I hope that keeps everyone here bit more "sober" with how important it is to master the fundamentals that Peat suggests...over and over.

I did start to improve, then felt almost 100%, before the next day when I felt awful, and it was a this point that I needed tho rule out pneumonia. So I think they did work well for me during the viral flu episode and perhaps saved me from the ER.

Bingo

Ecstatichamster - thank you again. Very good information. That is a lot of ciproheptadine! Did it knock you out? I have only take 1mg or less at night. I suppose you might need to go that high. For serotonin, I often take famotadine, but that might be much too weak. Could you tell if you had side effects from the acetazolamide? That particular drug has a number of interactions with other drugs, antihistamines as well, and I was wondering about combining it with cipro. of course side effects can be just a small interaction and not important if you are in an emergency the way you were. Did you take antibiotics? a zpack perhaps? We are also in the south east. Just came in from our whole family getting some sun and pollen of course!

ecstatichamster

Ecstatichamster - thank you again. Very good information. That is a lot of ciproheptadine! Did it knock you out? I have only take 1mg or less at night. I suppose you might need to go that high. For serotonin, I often take famotadine, but that might be much too weak. Could you tell if you had side effects from the acetazolamide? That particular drug has a number of interactions with other drugs, antihistamines as well, and I was wondering about combining it with cipro. of course side effects can be just a small interaction and not important if you are in an emergency the way you were. Did you take antibiotics? a zpack perhaps? We are also in the south east. Just came in from our whole family getting some sun and pollen of course!

I didn’t even feel the cyproheptadine. I was taking up to 4mg for allergies and had acclimated to it, but increasing the dose didn’t have any effect on my being sleepy.

I had no side effects from acetazolamide that I can tell. There were no contraindications about cypro and the acetazolamide. I did miss taking aspirin, a lot, because it shouldn’t be taken with losartan.

I was taking azithromycin and amoxicillin until my pneumonia diagnosis, when I began 750mg a day of levoquin and stopped the other antibiotics that weren’t effective against the pneumonia obviously.

Bingo

I was remembering wrong, antihistamines seem to be fine with acetazolamide, but aspirin is not. OK you had to move to the stronger levoquin. Glad you are feeling better.

managing

Thank you for all your kind wishes.

I’m in South East part of the USA. I do not plan to get tested.
FWIW, I intend to get tested for the antibody (not for active CV infection) if and when its available for a couple of reason. First, is that I have a feeling that proving antibodies might be advantageous in the future. For example, imagine if they make vaccination mandatory for those who can't prove immunity? Second, I believe that the "healthiest" way to treat this would be with antibodies cultivated from immune individuals. I regularly give blood and I would be willing to give plasma regularly to help the critically ill or to "immunize" health care workers.

Mossy

It may also help with hair loss.

Lisinopril-Induced Alopecia: A Case Report

The American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association (ACCF/AHA) guidelines consider angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors as one of the mainstay therapies in the management of heart failure. The widespread use of ACE inhibitors has been associated with several notable adverse effects such as hyperkalemia and an increased serum creatinine. There are no previous reports of alopecia associated with lisinopril use; however, a few previous cases of alopecia associated with other ACE inhibitors exist. This report discusses a case of lisinopril-induced alopecia of a 53-year-old male presenting to our outpatient heart failure clinic with a chief complaint of a new onset of alopecia. Upon evaluation, it was suspected that the patient’s alopecia was likely medication induced by lisinopril; therefore, lisinopril was discontinued and switched to an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB), losartan potassium. Alopecia resolved in 4 weeks after the therapeutic intervention.

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

The beneficial effect of Ang-(1-7) in alopecia can be attributed to their vasodilation action on blood vessels (Santos et al., 2000). The vasodilation of arterioles present in the dermis improves irrigation of the hair follicles, increasing the supply of nutrients and oxygen. Thus, the cells of the hair follicle increase their proliferation, accelerating hair growth

US20150313829A1 - Topical formulations for the prevention and treatment of alopecia and inhibition of hair growth - Google Patents

TGF-β plays important roles in the induction of catagen during the hair cycle. We examined whether TGF-β2 could activate a caspase in human hair follicles. Using active caspase-9 and -3 specific antibodies, we found that TGF-β2 activated these caspases in two regions, the lower part of the hair bulb and the outer layer of the outer root sheath. In addition, we searched for a plant extract that can effectively suppress TGF-β action. We found that an extract of Hydrangea macrophylla reduced synthesis of a TGDβ-inducible protein. We confirmed that the extract has a potential to promote hair elongation in the organ culture system. Furthermore, it delayed in vivo progression of catagen in a mouse model. Our results suggest that the induction of catagen by TGF-β is mediated via activation of caspases and that a suppressor of TGF-β could be effective in preventing male pattern baldness.

A Potential Suppressor of TGF-β Delays Catagen Progression in Hair Follicles - ScienceDirect

Angiotensin II is also well known in inducing reactive oxygen species and promoting inflammatory phenotype switch via its type 1 receptor. In clinic, Angiotensin II type 1 (AT1) receptor blocker like candesartan has been widely applied as an antihypertensive medication.

It was found that pre-treat with candesartan significantly suppressed transforming growth factor-β (TGF-β) and interleukin-6 (IL-6) expression after incubation with TNF-α.

Candesartan inhibits inflammation through an angiotensin II type 1 receptor independent way in human embryonic kidney epithelial cells
Are you mentioning Lisinopril because it's similar to Losartan?

I ask because I had a bad reaction to Lisinopril once, which leads me to think I may have the same with Losartan. I was considering buying Losartan, as a precaution for COVID-19.

ecstatichamster

I ask because I had a bad reaction to Lisinopril once, which leads me to think I may have the same with Losartan. I was considering buying Losartan, as a precaution for COVID-19.

you don’t want lisinopril. You want Losartan.

brocktoon

Lisinopril is in a different category of BP medication; it's an ACE inhibitor. Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) such as losartan work differently.

Beastmode

Lisinopril is in a different category of BP medication; it's an ACE inhibitor. Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) such as losartan work differently.

The ending of the drug is helpful to determine if it's an ARB or ACE inhibitor:

- pril (ACE inhibitor)
- artan (ARB)

Mossy