Possible To Overtax The Pancreas / Liver / Digestive System By Too Much Sugar?

BearWithMe

Would it be possible to overload the pancreas / liver / digestive system with too much sugars? How much sugar is too much?

Is eating the sugars with plenty of protein enough to prevent overtaxing the pancreas by secreting too much insulin all the time?

If someone have these organs are already compromised and not working optimally, but doesn't have diabetes, would you recommend him a high-sugar diet?

tara

Would it be possible to overload the pancreas / liver / digestive system with too much sugars?
I'm no expert, but I expect so.

How much sugar is too much?
Assuming that what you mean by 'sugar' in this context is mono- and disaccharides, I expect that to depend on the individual and their state, as well as what other nutrition comes with it. Some people have a higher capacity for it than others.
As a first cut, I'd suggest paying attention to taste.
If someone have these organs are already compromised and not working optimally, but doesn't have diabetes, would you recommend him a high-sugar diet?
I'm not an expert, but I'd suggest the same - pay attention to what the body feels well with, sugar wise, and take that as a starting point. Watch blood glucose measurements over time if they are being taken. Adapt.
Favour foods containing sugars and other nutrition (eg fruit) over the highly refined stuff.

Pompadour

Yes, you can overtax the system. I have pancreatitis and after flare up i tried to eat a lot of honey (from the beekeeper i know, the best quality). Sugar is easier to digest you know...and helps to restore the pancreas as they say. ... well, suddenly my blood sugar started to raise dangerously. Maybe i accelerated the dieing of beta cells. :( Now i cannot eat sugar and honey any more. Now i am diabetic on top of my other problems.

Needles to say, how much i am depressed now. Just see no way to healing....that's tough.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Yes, you can overtax the system. I have pancreatitis and after flare up i tried to eat a lot of honey (from the beekeeper i know, the best quality). Sugar is easier to digest you know...and helps to restore the pancreas as they say. ... well, suddenly my blood sugar started to raise dangerously. Maybe i accelerated the dieing of beta cells. :( Now i cannot eat sugar and honey any more. Now i am diabetic on top of my other problems.

Needles to say, how much i am depressed now. Just see no way to healing....that's tough.
Damn, that sounds absolutely horrible :( Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm really sorry for what you are going trough and hope your health will get better!

Barry

I have around 1000g of 1% milk every day and 500g of OJ. I take 200g of sugar, add water, heat it into simple syrup. Then add some syrup to the OJ and most to the milk. I have been doing this for a few years now. For me, it just makes me feel great all the time. Also, I am 53. And I usually keep my daily PUFA intake under 2g. I have around 2400 calories per day. It is good to get into the habit of weighing your food and entering everything into cronometer.

J.R.K

Would it be possible to overload the pancreas / liver / digestive system with too much sugars? How much sugar is too much?

Is eating the sugars with plenty of protein enough to prevent overtaxing the pancreas by secreting too much insulin all the time?

I am not an expert by any means, but I personally get good results keeping the carbohydrate (specifically sugar) to protein ratio at two to one, I try to eat these two together to avoid the protein being broken down to glucose.