Portable Breath CO2 Meter?

Aleeri

All I can find is for CO, carbon monoxide meters for smoking. Where are the CO2 ones?

Is it possible to use a room/environment CO2 meter for breath measurement?

yerrag

You're better off with a capnometer.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've used this one and it works well.
Masimo - EMMA Capnograph
I'm not sure how much it costs, if it's the best option available or how you could purchase one but I could check into it if no one knows of a better option.

Dan W

look for veterinary capnographs

they are much cheaper
That's a good idea, I'd never thought of that.

Here's some of my (probably-outdated) notes on the human ones. They're all expensive though.

Breezing
  • Product page
  • Price: $350. Sensor cost works out to $5 a session. Sensor expiration is <1 year.
  • Data: bluetooth sync to mobile app. Reports a TEE after a breathing session. I think there might be a hidden way of getting the raw data, or at least more-detailed numbers used for the TEE calculation.
  • Accuracy: probably very accurate.

Carbogenetics Capnometer
  • Product page
  • Price: $595
  • Data: tracked on their web site (I don't see a readout in the pictures, though I assume there must be a display or bluetooth connection for setting up wifi)
  • Accuracy: ?

Masimo EMMA "Emergency" Capnograph
  • Product page
  • Spec sheet
  • Price: ~$2200
  • Data: readout displayed on device with a minimal graph. No logging?
  • Accuracy: +/- 2 mmHg, +/- 0.3 kPa

Masimo EMMA "Mainstream" Capnometer
  • Product page
  • Spec sheet
  • Price: ~$1600
  • Data: readout displayed on device. No logging.
  • Accuracy: +/- 2 mmHg, +/- 0.3 kPa

Smiths Medical Capnocheck II
(they have other models, but this one seems the most appropriate for self-experimentation)
  • Product page
  • Price: ~$1600.
  • Data: readout displayed on device. Can "infrared print". Unsure whether you can dig back into "logs".
  • Accuracy: ?

yerrag

Could the Lumen device ($249 currently) be hacked so the raw data on CO2 end-tidal volume be obtained? But I wonder if's accurate? But given that sensors become really cheap and just as accurate and precise when mass produced, I don't see not.

Dan W

I messaged breezing and they do NOT give the data behind the TEE calculation
Thank you. I'd put that in there because I thought I remembered someone finding a hidden screen in the app or something, but maybe it's been pulled.

Dr. C

I just got a used EMMA from eBay for € 299. But EMMA allows only mainstream capnography do you will need to wear like o a full face mask with a connector tube to the EMMA if you want to monitor nasal breathing and not mouth breathing. Only a sidestream capnometer would be suitable for wearning it in public.

OP
Aleeri

Aleeri

Super expensive most of them, how come there are not cheaper options?

Is it because the sensor to detect CO2 is so much more complicated than the sensor to detect CO? Does not make any sense.

yerrag

Super expensive most of them, how come there are not cheaper options?

Is it because the sensor to detect CO2 is so much more complicated than the sensor to detect CO? Does not make any sense.
If you can convince Samsung to build the sensor and put it in every cell phone, it will cost next to nothing, and will be just another of the many sensors in that phone. But it won't happen, as this is not a feature the mass market will appreciate and this will just be considered a solution seeking a problem.

This is a very limited market. Few people other than us Peaters appreciate the value of such a device. With a small nice market, you can't even get the economies of scale to make the cost of the device low enough. You can't even get many people to buy this device even if it is priced so low to be very affordable.

See what the Lumen device is doing. It is basically creating a demand for a device that can measure what we're looking for, but selling the idea that it can basically do the thinking for you, in determining what food to eat to make you burn more fat, or what exercise to do to burn more fat than carbs. It's to assist people lose weight, not necessarily helping you increase your metabolism by burning sugar more efficiently.

If you can do a side deal with Lumen, and get them to make an app that does what we want, you could be getting such functionality with Lumen for a price that is reflective of a mass market device, than that of a niche market device.

Or you can commission some smart tinkerer to make an app that will get the Lumen device to share its data to the app, and be able to get capnometer functionality out of it.

biggirlkisss

I saw nitric oxide strips for 2 dollars each. I dunno how accurate they are or are some better then others. You need a carbon moxiade reader breathe that 0.1ppm and that thousands. You need two to calbrate. You can get co2 air readers that go 1ppm for under 100 that read the air. But in terms of breathe very pricy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals