Pork vs beef

ironfist

Pork is much cheaper so I've been buying this recently.

Do I learn anything I might not understand?

mostlylurking

Pork is much cheaper so I've been buying this recently.

Do I learn anything I might not understand?
Pigs are fed polyunsaturated fatty acids (pufa) via their corn and soy diet. This high pufa diet makes them put on weight for slaughter. The pufa is stored in their fat cells. So the pork available for people food is high in pufa.

Cattle are ruminant animals; pigs are not. Rumens contain bacteria that use vitamin e found in grass to convert the fats the cattle eat into saturated fat. So grass fed and finished beef has saturated fat. Cattle that are finished in a feed lot are fed grains (pufa) to fatten them up. If they stay in the feed lot too long, the pufa in the grain diet will overwhelm the rumen bacteria and the cattle will get sick and die.

So the healthiest meat choice is organic grass fed/finished beef. The worst choice is pork and also poultry because their fat is highly unsaturated from their grain based diets (chickens/turkeys don't have rumens either).

Other ruminant animals include: deer, goats, sheep. So venison, cabrito, and lamb are good choices too.

blob69

Pork is absolutely disgusting and of course also extremely unhealthy. Here is a video from an ordinary pork farm in Slovenia, just one of many around:
View: https://vimeo.com/585994049

When you go near such farms, or even smaller farms raising pigs, they emanate a horrible smell that can't be compared to anything really - perhaps a bit similar to rotting corpses or extremely bad breath but even that smells much nicer. We went to a big open farmer's fair in Croatia last year and they had a few dozen pigs there. The smell emanating from them was present up to 100 m away and it was unbearable. The pigs looked just like the pigs in the video above - in one word, horrific.

There is a reason why many religions forbade pork meat.

blob69

I will add that I know also a permaculture farmer who is raising native breed pigs and keeping them outside also, i.e. in a small patch of forest. But I wouldn't eat much of this meat either because as he himself told me, the pigs will eat all kinds of rotten stuff like rotten meat. I'm sure that he sometimes feeds them such things and doesn't see a problem, but I do - I don't think a person or animal eating rotten stuff can be healthy or healthful.

Servier

So today I went to the butcher to buy some liver and beef meat. And among one of the dishes present on the desk, I noticed big pieces of pork meat in gelatin.
So I asked him what he was planing to do with the remaining gelatin and he kindly gave it to me for free.
I put it with my rice and beef and liver for lunch and it was realy good.

My question is, does the gelatin from pork meat contain PUFA ?

Luann

I think pigs are like vultures or catfish, they have a special ability to eat gross things. Which I respect!
But for that reason and the PUFA, I usually avoid pig meat.
Those poor dudes in the video :(

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Pork is not meant for human consumption.