Pork Rinds - (not A Significant Source Of Protein)?

A

Anonymous

The bag of pork rinds I got has 7 grams of protein and there are 7 servings in a $2 bag. It says (not a significant source of protein). How is 49 grams of protein not significant?! Lol.

tara

I have no idea what your bag is like, how big etc, but from what you just wrote, it looks like 1g in each of 7 servings?

OP
A

Anonymous

tara said:
I have no idea what your bag is like, how big etc, but from what you just wrote, it looks like 1g in each of 7 servings?

It's pretty big. It's definitely 7g for each of the 7 servings.

narouz

Peat has recommended pork rinds.
It seemed to me he recommended them strictly for being a good protein.
I like pork rinds.
But I have some reservations about them.

Peat recommends them in the same way he recommends gelatin, I think.
But...I tend to trust good brands of gelatin more than weird truckstop pork rinds (USA).

artemis

I like them, too. The only downside is the PUFA's from what the pigs were fed. That's why Ray said he re-fries them in coconut oil, to cut down on them.

Gl;itch.e

They mean "Not a significant source of protein" because it doesn't have the complete amino acid profile of meat, dairy etc. It's like Gelatin in that it lacks or has much smaller amounts of certain amino acids.

Id love me some pork rinds if I could find some from pigs that were raised with better foods and that aren't full of MSGs.

barefooter

artemis said:
I like them, too. The only downside is the PUFA's from what the pigs were fed. That's why Ray said he re-fries them in coconut oil, to cut down on them.

Are you sure Peat actually said that, I only remember him saying it about bacon?

One of the few things I miss about being in SE Asia is that you can get pork rinds everywhere for super cheap. It's hard to beat cruising through the mountains on a moped and stopping at a tiny store for a cold coke and a bag of home made pork rinds.

mt_dreams

I've only heard Peat mention the frying method for eggs & bacon which contain a decent amount of PUFA's. Pork rinds contain about as much PUFA as whole milk does. Peat has mentioned that air popped pork rinds are his preferred method. Methods for making them myself (so I could source the skin) have been using a pressure cooker, and cooking them in tomato sauce. It makes a great meal for times when I know I wont be able to eat for 3+ hours, due to it's slow digestion.

barefooter

All this pork rind talk is making me hungry! Anyone know a good online supplier for air popped pork rinds?

CoolTweetPete

I asked Danny Roddy about this but he was unsure.

Don't pork rinds contain advanced glycation end products because they are fried?

From Wikipedia:

Dietary AGEs (dAGEs) can be present in some foods (particularly meat, also butter and some vegetable products), and can form in food during cooking, particularly in dry cooking such as frying, roasting and baking, far less so in boiling, stewing, steaming and microwaving.[2]

Please say it ain't so. :D

yerrag

I live in Manila and despite us being heavy pork eaters and have plenty of pork from local farms, it appears we have a shortage of pork skins. I asked around and there are not many around selling pork skin. People here eat pork rinds a lot, called chicaron here which is the same as chicharrones Ray Peat mentions that is common in Mexico. Most of the pork skin is sold to the chicharon makers. It's still not enough. I learned from a friend that she knows an importer of pork skin who says he imports a lot of pork skin from South Korea for sale to chicharon makers here.

Knowing that, I won't make it too hard on myself to buy pork skin. Instead, I'll just buy another part of the pig, which I can buy more easily. It is the pig's face and ears. It not only has plenty of gelatin, but also plenty of cartilage ( skin is a rich source of steroid hormones, and cartilage contains “Mead acid,” which is itself antiinflammatory Gelatin, stress, longevity). Locals eat a dish called 'sisig,' which is pork face/ears boiled and grilled, diced, and stir-fried with eggs, peppers (sili), salt, pepper, and egg. It is usually an appetizer fare, goes well with beer.

I'll certainly find other ways of eating this, but for now, I'll live with this but only have an occasional beer with it, as Ray Peat doesn't recommend fermented beverages.

On pork rinds, I agree not to trust commercially made pork rinds. They use vegetable oil to make them. Not only are they PUFA's, but you just don't even know how much reused and very oxidized oil is used to make them. It is self-defeating to eat them if you intend to improve your health eating them for their gelatin and the glycine-rich contents in them.

As far as protein quality goes, I also agree that pork skin is valued for its gelatin, which provides the amino acid glycine primarily as well as a few other beneficial amino acids. I read from Ray Peat's writings that protein with a higher amount of glycine over methionine and tryptophan would serve the needs of people who are no longer growing. Gelatin, stress, longevity

Last edited:
My grandpa eats tons of pork rinds, Colombian cheese and drinks Budweiser like it’s out of style is 90 and has just a few white hairs the rest are jet black. I think the cheese and pork rinds have helped him a lot with his health as he eats them very often

Cara

My grandpa eats tons of pork rinds, Colombian cheese and drinks Budweiser like it’s out of style is 90 and has just a few white hairs the rest are jet black. I think the cheese and pork rinds have helped him a lot with his health as he eats them very often
I love this. Now days, we can find good quality pork rind brands like Epic.

Cara

I love pork rinds especially when I’m craving crunchy since my diet consists of mostly fruits and meat. I’ll mix sardines with nutritional yeast & salt and use pork rinds as my chips.

Carrum

I think I need to stop eating pork rind/skin/crackling. I stopped eating it for ages as it often causes me a terrible night's sleep but like a hopeless addict I was lured back. Last night was one of the worst sleeps. I woke up about an hour or so after going to sleep and didn't feel well at all. It took me ages to get back to sleep and then this morning I still didn't feel well.
Anyone know how I can fix this or should I just stop eating it like my body seems to be telling me?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals