Pork Rind/Skin : The PERFECT And UNDERESTIMATED Peaty Food ?

Nuancé

Pork rinds are cheap, available everywhere. They are very rich in protein and relatively poor in fat, especially poor in PUFA.

Their protein contect is great because they are full of collagene (glycine, proline, serine...), very poor in methionine.
They are also very poor in phosphorus !
Has anyone tried to give them a chance ? Someone had benefits with them ?

I quote french database for raw pork rind. I've seen similar data on Cronometer for the prepared one (nutritiondata). You can buy them raw (better) or already prepared but they could contain salt and have more calories.

Ciqual Table de composition nutritionnelle des aliments

Snacks, pork skins, plain Nutrition Facts & Calories

OP
N

Nuancé

serving of 14g is already 0.5g of pufa :(

That's not huge, and we can suppose that raw pork rind has less of it. :)

Perhaps by boiling it and removing fat on the surface of the broth ?

orewashin

These are the pork rinds that are available in chips sections in grocery stores? How would you go about boiling the hard ones, wouldn't they become even harder? And also, I have trouble believing that such a cheap snack would be beneficial. If you boil the fat off, realize that the steroids probably come off with it.

Energizer

Yes, Peat recommended the Mission brand of chicharrones in an email exchange to someone with salt cravings, which have relatively low PUFA and high glycine. A good occasional snack, personally I think the PUFA content is a bit high for everyday eating, but to each their own. Also bacon fried in coconut oil, dump the oil, then refry it in coconut oil, lowers the PUFA. I have eaten the Mission brand, they're not bad, but personally I don't really enjoy the flavor too much. They tasted pretty bland. They also have a spicy version but it looks like its chock full of possibly allergenic ingredients: "Pork Rinds, Salt, Dextrose, Spices Including Chili Peppers, Torula Yeast, Maltodextrin, Paprika, Monosodium Glutamate, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Extractives of Paprika, Yellow #6 Lake, Natural Flavor, Caramel Color and Red 40 Lake." Picante Flavor Chicharrones - Mission Foods

"[Salt cravings] There are some very salty cheeses that help to satisfy salt appetite, for example pecorino or feta; sometimes I add salt to cheeses such as gouda, emmental, mozzarella, or cheddar. Sometimes pork rinds, chicharrones, are good for a salty snack; I usually heat them in coconut oil and then drain them, to remove some of the pork fat..."

Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

Last edited:

yerrag

Since Ray also considers endotoxins a health problem, I wonder why he doesn't talk about the skin harboring bacteria that leaves behind endotoxins when dead.

I don't really know how much endotoxins there really is in pork skin, so I've stopped indulging on it.

I can only trust eating the internal parts (not the collagen from bones though, as heavy metals get stored there). My favorite is beef tendons.

gaze

the company epic makes some baked low fat pork rinds (i think around 2.5 g fat per serving, some flavors are 4g) and the infredients are much cleaner than missions

OP
N

Nuancé

These are the pork rinds that are available in chips sections in grocery stores? How would you go about boiling the hard ones, wouldn't they become even harder? And also, I have trouble believing that such a cheap snack would be beneficial. If you boil the fat off, realize that the steroids probably come off with it.
Since Ray also considers endotoxins a health problem, I wonder why he doesn't talk about the skin harboring bacteria that leaves behind endotoxins when dead.

I don't really know how much endotoxins there really is in pork skin, so I've stopped indulging on it.

I can only trust eating the internal parts (not the collagen from bones though, as heavy metals get stored there). My favorite is beef tendons.

Interesting, it would be interesting to know it.

AnoushF

In my own experience pork rinds almost immediately give me a huge histamine reaction in the form of joint inflammation, and lasts for about 24 hours--so I stay far away from them :\. They're also a considerably high fat source; surely just putting powdered gelatin and powder glycine into a glass of orange juice is more optimal if that's what you're looking for? But if you're enjoying them, then why not I guess.